killing tanks has become more enjoyable now.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by smokemaker, Jun 24, 2013.

1. EliteEskimo

Your team battling the other team causing a distraction isn't Team work, it's a natural game occurrence that no one decided to create, they just naturally create it meaning their isn't teamwork involved.

It's sad though, tonight I went 90-4 and one of those deaths was caused by so many Prowlers exploding around me that eventually one landed ontop of me and killed me. I swear if I wasn't in BWC's Task force Rampage with other competent tankers I'd be much less happy. Oh and for anyone trying to say "But Eskimo you have full resources and are getting massive Kill streaks" I will always respond "I'm an outlier". It does greatly pain me to imagine what new people who may want to give a go at tanking are experiencing right now, my guess is they are instantly turned away. Oh and if there are any tankers on Mattherson who aren't in an outfit but want to be around other good tankers to learn how to tank, consider BWC and Task force Rampage.:cool: [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  2. Bankrotas

WTF are you talking about, every single person playing this game is god damn entitled mother****er...
    • Up x 2
  3. TheJosephChrist

I see that you were one of the ones to just race your tank into the middle of battle with no regard. Time to change your tactics then.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ranik

To different extents yes. However for the longest time the Armor / AA / Air balance has been bizarre since development has never addressed key issues rather only balanced around them.

And let's nip this stupidity in the bud.

Hot dropping -> control of where you land and 3-5 second invisibility on landing.

Light assault -> Ability to scale terrain at will and approach from angles that armor cannot even aim at let alone defend. Drifter jump jets alone have added an entirely new mechanic where sitting anywhere near a biolab means that it's raining Light assaults in a 100m radius minimum...

Terrain / Bases -> Basically giant deathtraps. If you ever want to try and fight WITH your allies, you are going to die. You can say "change your tactics" until you are blue in the face. But when the other guys tactic is freely and endlessly repeatable. The only real option you have is to cower behind friendlies rather than fight with them....
    • Up x 2
  5. DarkerHalf

There you go.

From someone that plays almost only armor, I've never wanted to play this game less. Running a vanguard today with my AP gun, I saw fewer vehicles than I've seen in weeks, and the ones I could find were all clustered together hundreds of meters away from the main fight. Only harassers dared to try and move up.

Definitely a huge resurgence of ESFs. Now that people can't afford to be on the ground, the sky is certainly crowded.
    • Up x 3
  6. Snib

No they don't. I've got countless C4 kills on moving tanks on my medic of all things. Tanks have a rather limited horizontal FoV because even without optics their view is always zoomed compared to what infantry sees. So just run up to them from the sides, drop 2 bricks in passing, push the button when it's past. Boom. Easy.

The only time it's a problem is when there's loads of tanks, you'll need to get the last in the column or one of the others will see you and will explode your C4 and you with it before you're out (you'll still get your target killed though)). But the tank driver you're actually C4'ing practically never sees you. Unless they got proximity radar, of course, but that's easy to spot before you run in.
    • Up x 1
  7. Primarkka

I can 1v1 MAXes with my HA. That doesn't make my HA overpowered, it means that the MAX players are really bad. You are not going to 1v1 my MAX.
    Should tanks be an "I win" button which can not be outplayed by anything? In my opinion such gameplay design reminds of a certain vehicle in the former PlanetSide game.
  8. Jalek

ESF's should cost more than MAX suits, they certainly have more power and should take more resources.
    Even liberators cost less than MAX suits.
  9. Snib

I wasn't saying anyone involved is overpowered, I was just commenting on your statement that it's impossible to C4 a tank because of speed.

I don't mind C4 much us a tank driver, it annoys me much more as infantry since you cannot really defend against it. The only issue I might have is that a 450 resource vehicle can be quickly killed by anything in game except infiltrators - and even those can quickly hack a turret. But personally I don't mind that either. It's not like I cannot kill them back (except air unless they're terrible).
  10. Primarkka

You can put yourself in a position where you are very hard to be C4'd. I sincerely hope you use the vehicles to their extent. The C4 is a close-range killer and requires an immediate distance, which the infantry has to cover to get to you.

YOUR positioning dictates how long that distance is which the infantry has to cover to get to you. The effectiveness of C4 is purely based on your way of playing. I'm shelling from afar, I extremely rarely die to C4 and I rack up tons of kills. I never go near towers, I can shoot them from distance. I never go near infantry group, I can kill the from distance. I never deploy my Prowler near fights, for the fear of drop pods. I'm playing smart. Are you?
  11. Snib

I'm extremely rarely dying to C4 or drop pods. Suppose that answers your question. :)
  12. Primarkka

That's the correct answer, the C4 infantry can't do anything if you play to the vehicle's strengths. A stock vanguard which is reversing is faster than Light Assault with an adrenaline pump. If you as a vehicle die to the C4, you need to replay the last few minutes and think about how you played wrong.
  13. Squirreli

I play light assault, mosquito and tanks extensively and I do like the new resource costs quite a lot. (Although I'd lower the MAX cost to 250 to let people have a 500 point infantry resource pool to play around in. Then again, this is not critical. ) (EDIT: also, the ESF at 250 pts is not expensive enough for it's survivability. I can almost always pull a new mosquito as soon as I lose one, even though I radar-lolpod with my mosquito most of the time... Radar means that I have no flares, so I just run, take the missiles like a man and autorepair up.)

The thing is, now there is a lot less vehicle spam and AA spam and the game is much more enjoyable. Destroying vehicles is now a significant achievement, as is playing your vehicle well and supporting your friendlies. Also, the current 2xC4 damage level is good, although the buggy deploy mechanism could be better. I rarely die to C4 myself in a vehicle, since I consider any infantry a threat to my tank. It is up to me to position myself in such a way that I can't get jumped by suicide bombers. Protip: use radars in your close-support vehicle loadouts.

What they need to change is the two drop pods available to you (both on 5min timers) as they're a cheesy and exploity way of taking out deployed sunderers. For instance, yesterday I killed 3 sunderers with antitank mines within 2 minutes at Broken Arch Road (1: bailed out of mosquito on top of a sunderer, planted death frisbees, shot them... 2 & 3: drop podded next to a sunderer, planted death frisbees, shot them).

Oh yeah, and harassers need a survivability nerf.
  14. Snib

Ever experienced a 11 LA gal drop over a prowler line? Fun fun. :)
  15. Polydeukes

I personally really don't care about being c4'ed. It rarely happens when I pay attention.

What really needs to be changed/fixed is droppods. Hearing the characteristic sound. Getting on the move immediately.
    The moment you actually see it, you are already blown up.

This "lag" is simply unfair and cheap. Thats something that needs to be fixed - everything else is not even half as annoying.

My 2 cents

Cheers
  16. Rift23

It doesn't take teamwork to use a tank either. The ability for 50 guys to pull 50 tanks and zerg rather than 50 guys pulling 15-25 tanks they have to crew is why AV is so widespread and so powerful against them. I'll happily take a c4/rocket nerf when tanks require at least two people (even lightnings).
  17. KlyptoK

87 deaths to C4 @ 0.22 deaths per hour played
    74 deaths to enemy C4 @ 0.19 deaths per hour played
    or @ 2.24 deaths to enemy C4 per hour you've spent in a Prowler

It's interesting that you've died 13 times to TR C4, but I'm assuming this is suicidal attempts with your own C4 and not rage teamkills.

This is of course, all assuming your IGN really is Snib.

I can't say I've had the same experience with drop pods. They usually implode on my tank giving me a free kill.
  18. IamDH

I cant even fly in a straight line because of all this stuttering :S
  19. Larolyn

Now that is a tactic I need to exploit! What a way to decimate the enemy armour!
  20. Snib

Interesting stats, not sure what point you are making but either way the question was about dying to C4 while in a tank. Hardly any of those deaths to C4 were while I was in a Prowler. And the TR C4 is mostly teamkills, typically I C4 a tank and some other TR decides to shoot it anyway, either blowing me up straight or blowing my C4 and me through it before I get away. I don't do suicide runs.

I remember getting drop-podded in a Prowler a single time. And yes, my tank blew up.

PS: Yep, Snib/TR/Woodman, it's no secret.