Kill Cam, Not Good

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by pvt.pyle, Sep 2, 2020.

1. pvt.pyle

Hey, I used to play frequently back in the day. Infiltrator was my main. Nowadays, the added kill cam kills any chances i have with sniping. Gone are they days you can just post up and snipe over a battlefield. Instead, when you kill someone their ghost spots you and then when they respawn they know exactly where you are and come for you. In my opinion this kills emersion for me and makes me less likely to snipe people, which is a shame because I used to thoroughly enjoy that.

Any thoughts?
    • Up x 5
  2. Demigan

My thoughts are that infiltrators are the least hurt by the death cam, as long as they aren't of the "sit still for half an hour" variety.

It's also funny how the exact same arguments and "problems" arise with infiltrators and the death cam as when they added the directional death indicator on the deathscreen minimap. How can the death cam create the exact same problems that the directional death indicator already did? Oh I know: Confirmation bias.
    • Up x 5
  3. Twin Suns

Any thoughts?

Yeah. Don't be a lazy, wanna be sniper.

Most Planateers have adjusted to it.

Well, except for the ones that just sit on their @&! pitching a tent, building a fire and making s'mores that is....

Is it really that hard to pick up you're camp and move?
    • Up x 5
  4. Liewec123

Yeah killcam sucks.
    I have an old clip on a hard rive somewhere of sitting on a doorframe as LA, as a TR zerg flooded the building,
    I nuked dozens with C4 and then sprayed down others with a full clip of whatever weapon I had,
    It was freaking AWESOME, but alas, it'll never happen again because the moment that you kill the first dude
    His dead spidey-sense shows him exactly where you are and he tells his friends that you're on the doorframe.
    Game over.
    • Up x 4
  5. DarkStarAnubis

For long range snipers the death cam does not change anything.

Snipers leave a giant light trace when they fire extremely visible and bright (which is stupid of course).

A counter-sniper will kill them easily. I have killed some of them while they were cloaked (being lazy they kept shooting without changing position).

No death cam needed.
    • Up x 4
  6. OpolE

Yes, its ****. Why even have a cloak ability if kill cam shows where you are! haha

Come to Planetside 1
    • Up x 2
  7. Shadowdev

They need to do away with the kill cam.
    • Up x 1
  8. Blue_Lion

A sniper should shoot and scoot. Shoot get your kill turn on your cloak move to a new spot. It is a counter to camping snipers who just sit still and kill from long range. I am sorry that you as a sniper can not just sit still and farm people until you run out of ammo, but it makes it more fun for every one else.

As long as you keep moving between kills the kill cam is not a problem.
    • Up x 1
  9. JustGotSuspended

good, they should just delete the infil class in general. 1hk cancer or just trolls that sit around for hours doing nothing. pickup a class that requires some skill and isn't such cancer to everyone around you
    • Up x 3
  10. ican'taim

Killcam is ok but it should last 1 second, not 4 seconds.
  11. Luicanus

This, I'd just been on hiatus for a couple for years and my love of mines has been soured badly. It's a remote weapon, I was using minor cloak why for the love of God was some BR8 nub suddenly able to seek out my exact location?

At the very least there should be exceptions for if you're using minor cloak and/or remote explosives/weapons. Sure, if a bullet I fired hit you and you died then sure I'd be fine showing you a still of where I was when you died, but it was a god damned mine.
    • Up x 2
  12. Luicanus

I disagree, it should be a still showing the moment the killing shot left your barrel, it should not activate on remote weapons (C4, Mines, Autoturrets, etc).
    • Up x 1
  13. JibbaJabba

I think the infiltrator is a broken class, has been since the games inception. The mechanics and experience surrounding it have caused thousands of new players to quit the game over the years. It's a crap class for those that want the "rogue" meta from single player game even though it is wholly inappropriate for a multiplayer game. Literally being invisible and able to fire while in that state commands an unequal advantage. The class itself has a higher kdr than any other class yet it's players will all pat themselves and obliviously suggest it is their own skill.

That's what I think.

As for the kill cam? If you kill in medium/close range then you're unlikely to be there when the enemy respawns. Just natural battle flow. If you are sniping from a distance, even knowing your location shouldn't matter. It will take a while to hike there and you'll be adjusting your location just to be smart even if there wasn't a kill cam.

TL;DR, it's fine as is.
    • Up x 4
  14. DarkQuark

Do you know what the difference is between an infiltrator and a simple "Kill Target" button?

You can see the button.

:)
    • Up x 1
  15. Scroffel5

Yes, the kill cam is stupid. You make your way up to a good position and plan to get at least 4 guys from there in a reasonable time limit and move. Oh wow, now ya gotta move away after every kill because if you take a single person down, even a perfect kill, they know where you are. Theres only so far you can reasonably move too, and they'll most likely see you from your old position when they come to kill you.

Anyone who disagrees with the kill cam hurting snipers, I don't know what to tell ya.
    • Up x 2
  16. Blue_Lion

Snipers/campers are the reason for kill cams. To non-snipers a hidden long range kill is toxic environment. Just being a sniper should not mean you will have a 4 -1 kill rate death rate.

Basically your complaint about the kill cam is the reason they put in in games.
    • Up x 4
  17. Zhakathoom

One shot kills and cloak are some of the most horrid mechanics in this game, and killcam needs to exist. Without it it's just free reign for anyone seasoned enough to get into a weird spot.

Same goes for a HESH shelling a point from the next hex over; at least deathcam tells you what direction it's coming from..

If you remove deathcam you need to remove cloak (which I would accept in a heartbeat)
    • Up x 3
  18. DarkQuark

This is an excellent point. The combo of the one shot kill and cloak probably causes much of the consternation of new and existing players. In other words the whole situation where new players get whacked left and right is probably due in large part to this one combo. If it were to be changed the aggravation level for players would be greatly reduced.
    • Up x 2
  19. Zhakathoom

Also I forgot to factor in clientside into the cloak-equation:

Cloak+1shot kill+clientside=being dead before decloak on the receiving end=no fun
    • Up x 3
  20. Luicanus

Make it a still then, a screenshot of the exact moment the shot left the barrel, not a damned 4 second display of where they're going. And don't make it activate on mines, damn that doesn't even make sense.