Just found this on the PTS patch notes.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Nyscha, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Merakov

If the infiltrator is about stealth and remaining unseen then you might as well remove the class
    how will this work with silencers? why should I get recon darts when theres a deathcam ?
    Theres clearly a negative feedback about this if they put it in the game ,there will be people who will stop playing the game not because the meta game has become slightly different but because they opinion is disregarde..
    • Up x 1
  2. Sendan

[IMG]

i do play sniper but i dont see a big problem here for me, but there are some campers who prefer to sit and wait hours in a big fight that might get butt****ed without lube....but for snipers who move .... no big deal

on the other hand ... a triangle not a direct line to show a general sense of direction with some degree of error would also do the job
  3. Vaphell

these campers are the ones who don't give a ****. If they can snipe freely for hours today then most likely they sit so far back behind so many of their own allies nobody gets anywhere near them.
    Outside of stalkers, the infiltrating sniper who flanked and operates within 50-100m is the one that will be affected the most. He has nobody to hide behind and his effectiveness depends directly on killing efficiency and the trigger discipline to minimize exposure, tracers and ****. OHKs in case of BASRs and the inherent ambiguosity of the 90 deg wide dmg indicators are his bread and butter and it's ruined by spoonfeeding critical info to enemies. More often than not 15 deg sliver will point to the sniping spot without a fail.

What if the killed enemy gets rezzed nearly instantly by a friend with a magical pistol? You barely managed to descope after the kill and now the dude who got to see the killmap knows exactly where to look with only few meters of error margin.
    • Up x 7
  4. CuteBeaver

I read and liked your post concerning the exact measurements for the arc. You are one of the few people to actually crack out the calculator and determine exactly how much ambiguity exists at various ranges.

Its very true that allot of sniping takes place within about 150 meters. Depending on base layout cover might be scarce and more obvious as well. I think you should really post some hypothetical numbers on Reddit and encourage the designers to look at increasing the angle of the arc to more then15 degrees, and as well increasing the deviation // jitter values and also never making those values known to the player base for obvious reasons.

It looks like SOE is open to fine tuning this...

One thing id like to mention, which could potentially help your efforts... On the test server a victim killed from around 10 meters had their enemies location hidden under the mini map death icon. Their killers position would be obscured by the skull and crossbone graphics even under a worse case scenario with a spot creating a solid line to their exact location.

So this might help you argue for increased ambiguity at medium ranges.

/cheers
    • Up x 1
  5. Rift23

I love how everyone is going to accuse the anti-arrow crowd of being noskill camping snipers, when it's going to have a bigger impact on CQC and midrange fights where there's less room to maneuver and less time to escape. When I snipe, I do my flanking via a stealth wraith flash and can easily relocate once people start looking for me.
    • Up x 2
  6. Vaphell

what can I say, I am STEM oriented, cynical, jaded and highly resistant to BS so i am all about "don't tell me it's going to be amazing/a non-issue, show me the numbers" :) As a sidenote, despite my negativeness I like your unusually nice voice though ;)

so following your advice i posted to r/planetside with the outline of the reasoning that the jitter is all that matters and how it translates to margins at various distances and some bonus rant. We shall see if the people of reddit manage to find it in the 'new' section and consider it upvote worthy.
  7. OldMaster80

Who gives a shot about 150mts sniping? I use short/mid range silenced rifles and my gameplay is screwed: I'll never manage to keep my position secret anymore. 15° angle is too easy to track down if fight with certain weapons.
    • Up x 3
  8. Vodski

Currently, I usually only move when I can tell I have been spotted, or have worn out my welcome. If this goes through and we are forced to move more often, then cloak should last twice as long, so we can seek cover easier. Currently I barely have enough time to find new cover before cloak wears off. Whenever I get sniped, I know pretty much where it came from. There is no reason to give this info out easily to people after BR 15-20.
    • Up x 4
  9. kaolla

i agree, jsut yesterday i was at the tower next to Stonghold, i landed with my pod on a small platforme on the cliff, from there i get like 20+ kill on sniper, engi and HA from VS standing on top of a cliff front of me ( other side of the tower too) i had nowhere to run or hide, but there were to focus on the tower.

with this kill came first 2 or 3 people and i would have been killed or force to suicide.most were low lvl ( 3 to 16 and a 44) but i was easy to spot and i spotted them only by they tracer.

i also stayed undetected in a battle between VS and TR, near a base, in a very small hidding point, got 2 prowler driving so close i could see under they wheel), those kind of fun would be dead now.

what kill me too is the "press any key" it may be nothing, but i would prefer to get the hold death screen with short time than having to push a key everytime ( as click don't work)
  10. NaySayer

The death screen blows, it's just annoying. Were there people complaining about the previous screen?
    • Up x 1
  11. Vaphell

as i expected, my reddit thread about the killmap arc drowned which was especially easy in the fresh stream of bug threads related to the patch. One guy responded to it, picked on a detail related to damage indicators i had wrong, pretty much ignoring and handwaving everything else and that was it.
  12. OldMaster80

I've said loud and clear what I think in the patch notes thread. And I've been banned for 1day lolz.
    • Up x 1
  13. Stinneyt

I've changed my tune on this topic.
    If I've been located by a good player, who gathers a squad to come and get me then I die, fair enough. He'd have probably located me without it.
    But if a bad player with a bad squad comes after me. Its just going to help me get auraxium with my sidearms.
  14. Tenebrae Aeterna

Posted a thread on the issue here.

Sorry for the obnoxious coloration and size, just wanted to highlight it. With that said, I'm less worried about sniping and more worried about flanking in general. This doesn't just impact the Infiltrator, it's essentially removing a very viable tactic that exploits the lack of skill in others...that skill being situational awareness. It's quite possibly the worst decision they have made to date, purely from the position of its lowering of the skill bar drastically.