Just found this on the PTS patch notes.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Nyscha, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Inf1nite

They might know where you are at that time but if you are smart, then you would be moving around in the same area within about 20m. They could still go over there and try to find you but it won't completely ruin sniping. I actually think that this is a decent change since anyone can get one shotted out from 200-300 meters to the head. I see your point, but this won't ruin sniping or the whole game, you should be always moving around.
    • Up x 1
  2. smokemaker

No to death cam.....
    No to helping the enemy know a location other then the enemies eyes.

If this goes live, I move on to another game.
  3. Ravenorth

Calm down guys, they are making it show your location only when you´ve been spotted, if you are not spotted then it shows only your general direction, but not exact location.
  4. CuteBeaver

Interesting. So they are going with the arc // cone idea.

[IMG]

Blue = Las0m PS2 creative Director. (for the TLDR people)

We are changing this to only display locations of players who are spotted, non-spotted players will show a rough directional indicator which is consistent with the HUD damage directional indicator in terms of level of information. This should allow players who really are being surreptitious to remain so, but once they're spotted they're blown

and

it'll be about 15 degrees or so and have a bit of angular jitter to it, so it won't be able to be used precisely.

and

The arc won't be dead centered on the person that killed you, it'll be off a couple degrees randomly, so you can't look at the center of the arc to get a more precise vector.

and

The origin is always the damaging player's location.

question: What about players who are showing up on the minimap due to sensors or firing unsuppressed weapons?

that's different and distinct from being spotted and generally wouldn't count. Being 'spotted' is when you see direction indicator for the target, so it would be applicable using the new deployable motion sensor or q spots.

Above all I think the most important quote is:

Yes, this is the #1 self-reported gameplay reason why players quit our game currently, dying "randomly". A unsettlingly large number of new players who quit cite that as the reason they've quit playing.
    This isn't a silver bullet of course, but we hope it helps add a bit more context to your death.

I think we have to just deal with this one because the games longevity depends on new blood.

This also would explain why SOE has had such burning desire to produce some form of kill / WREL Cam and even go so far as to attempt to slip the awareness implant into the picture when KILL CAM was voted down the first time. If the cone // arc mechanics go through I think this would be a better solution then a full out kill cam.

I actually like the idea of giving another buff to the motion spotter as well.

Any infiltrator can simply clear their spot with cloak anyway. For snipers just cloak frequently to clear possible spots, and if your hide sniping, up closer, simply don't move within the range of a motion spotter.. or you can crouch move and avoid detection.
  5. iller

This is Ironic....

All this week I've been deeply regretting purchasing the RailJack b/c the only place it's better than the Bolt Driver is over 290m.

Yet now it will become the only means for me to keep sniping from the same spot simply b/c it's the only Distance far enough away where the Death Screen's relayed information is still so useless that the player will get bored or ADD-forget why they even started running that direction in the first place by the time they're in range to hear me still Firing it.

Yes I'm admitting to Camp-Sniping.

No I'm not going to accept any insults from people who say that's BAD. This game doesn't ALLOW US TO constantly move to new viable shooting lanes after every kill. Only Light Assaults and ESF's have that luxury. When they allow us to climb slopes up to 85 degrees and have less cloak shimmer when moving slower, I will concede the argument that we shouldn't ever Camp. But until then, this classes only role as a sniper is to camp and therefore is only ever as good as its targets are dumb

Likewise this also makes the Crossbow a poor weapon for INFs and I'll be putting off buying it for the foreseeable future
  6. kaolla

i think something like that wod work if limited to low lvl player/ character ( like up to lvl 15-20), also even making a cone to a direction isn't great if the game can't make the cone NOT center on the killer . in my mind a cone of 45°-30° where the "killer" can be anywere inside ( even close to an edge)
  7. CuteBeaver

Um... Please read the above post. You have litterally nothing to worry about. Neither do I, and I absolutely love my crossbow. As long as your not spotted your going to be fine.
  8. iller

I read it. You're oversimpliflying it

The direction is still a dead-giveaway to your location unless it's so far away that they still can't find it in under 60 seconds
    Please read opinions that don't only support your own confrimation-bias
  9. SnipersUnion

–]PS2 Creative Directorlas0m 62 points 5 hours ago

We are changing this to only display locations of players who are spotted, non-spotted players will show a rough directional indicator which is consistent with the HUD damage directional indicator in terms of level of information. This should allow players who really are being surreptitious to remain so, but once they're spotted they're blown.

I know where you are coming from though, SOE are one of those companies that seems capable of both good and bad from one week to the next, lol. I don't know why they announce half these things to be honest, especially with the negative climate of forumside. They must have known from earlier threads how much hate this topic was going to get.
  10. CuteBeaver

Yep I am so biased :D guess what we all are biased. I did read your whole post btw :)

Your post made no mention as to having read about the 15 degree arc changes, so I assumed you were going on the initial information. Concerned I wanted to ensure you saw the latest update. **shakes head** Your totally entitled to feeling and thinking whatever you want about these changes.

I am not dancing around overjoyed about this death screen either. I certainly do not want to have that solid laser accurate line pointing down on us whenever we make a kill. I most definatly do not want to have the awareness implant in the game which would alert the entire surrounding faction to your exact location when firing upon enemies.

If your detecting any emotion in my post, consider it to be a sigh of relief this wasn't any worse.
  11. Vodski

This, combined with the implant that auto-spots people who shoot at you, will be the end of sniping.
  12. Godsmangamer

only real problem I have with the kill came is this single exploit they can look at the death screen/ mini map and tell other players your "load out" "approximate location" so it won't be just that guy you killed. this is a team oriented game even in the stealth game it drives it too be done in groups. So dropping one guy gives could very likely give a whole platoon all the information they need about you if they have even moderately knowledgeable/skilled players.
    example killed by tank
    armor type-
    type of gun-
    defensive slot
    a fairly experienced player with that knowledge will be able to take said tank down much more quickly then if he had work with more variables
  13. vilehydra

I'm fine with spot-marking but I really disagree with the idea of the directional cone for un-spotted players. Hell I don't even snipe, sometimes I just take a large magazine LMG, flank and just start bursting from a distance with a silencer. This becomes much more difficult with the cone.

I understand the idea of retaining lower ranked player, so apply it to the new BR's and strip it at BR 15, but do so slowly and make sure that the new players understand that it's getting removed at that BR.
    • Up x 1
  14. Lucidius134

15. Wobberjockey

this is a definite improvement over what we see on the PTS at the moment
  16. Vaphell

if this feature is introduced because noobs killed out of nowhere leave the game then BR<20 players should be the only ones who have it.

Either way playstyles based on OHKs from behind get hit hard. Amount of cover in this game is so low that more often than not that cone will leave no doubt.
    "Hmm, i got sniped from behind... there is a rock here and a tree there.... but this rock is not in the cone. Thanks SOE!"
  17. MarkAntony

And the crossbow with less than 100m effective range + stalker cloak just got useless.
  18. Akashar

Because for sure, all your playstyle is based on not moving! Come on, not that much people can be so fond of camping, that's just weird, I've been playing fps for like decades and that's THE plague that's been ruining them forever.
    My opinion: If your playstyle makes you able to take out several people without them being able to retaliate, while you are not even moving, it is not at all balanced. Sometimes when I get sniped it is really hard to say where the bullet came from, with the indicator we have now. The worst thing here is people complaining that their position 300 meters away will be given. Do your backs hurts so much that walking is painful? You are the sniper, with the cloak, 300 meters away, and you can't move? What should the guys that are fighting with immediate threats in front of them, without cloaks, say? When you kill a guy that is already fighting one of your team, you don't feel like it's easy? I like sniping in this game, but what I hate is people that just want to line up headshots all day, without thinking.
    All of people against this kind of tool are basically saying: I want to keep on being a no brainer and play without being afraid.

The part about giving away your slot, utility tool, etc. As if you needed to know that to know how to take down a tank, or whatever.
    Spoiler alert:
    -Bullets in the head will kill any people, eventually.
    -Maxes don't like decimator rockets or C4
    -In facts, anything other than your average infantry hates c4 and any rocket launcher.

That's all the information you need while you do your killing.
    Like I said before, giving these informations can help players understand what works and what not. Something they can already do by watching Wrel. The guy who came up with this idea of killcam lol. If you need people death screen to be a black one showing nothing, to "protect" your loadout, you are not as good as you could be.
    Always being unexpected, is funnier than just sitting there waiting for people to find you while dying (what a funny game indeed).
  19. Vaphell

Really? What exactly makes these people unable to retaliate? Isn't that a l2p issue first and foremost?

And if that was not 300m but 30 then what? Do you really expect us to spam whoosh fart whoosh fart that goes up to the rendering distance and run all over the place showing up on motion sensors/recon darts because unconscious people like you can't figure their way out of the paper bag?
    It's not my problem that you allow people to slaughter you time and time again without moving. It's your job to drive them off. Do you also ask deployed prowlers or hovering libfarmators getting 100:0 killstreaks to stop?

oh noes, opportunistic kills in a war game are teh evil. People should just duel like gentlemen and never backstab, in an unfortunate event of sneaking up on someone from behind they should tap the shoulder and count to 3 to give opportunity to defend. Right.
    Yeah, people who flanked the **** out of unaware enemy are clearly the ones who are not thinking.

Go behind an enemy platoon alone with imba cloak and BASR and then come back to tell us how epic your easy mode killstreak was and how you were not afraid of being exposed for a second. Right.

What's funnier is a subjective thing. Some people actually think it's fun to patiently work their way to an advantageous spot that allows for a moment of glorious killstreak that rewards all the unsuccessful attempts. Running like an idiot and meatgrinding is not fun for me because there are 0 wits involved, it's all reflex based shooting.

btw it's funny, you are saying that flanker snipers who exploit unexpected angles with great success are not actually unexpected.

You know what this spoonfeeding won't stop? Campers at the top floors of towers, dozens of them. You know who it will stop? People out there actually challenging themselves to infiltrate enemy ranks and hit from unexpected positions.
    Do you really want this game to turn into boring **** where all combat is a 19th century static "we are obviously here, they are obviously there and we shoot each other with horse blinders on"? Because that's what's going to happen.
    • Up x 1
  20. Vaphell

wait a minute. Jitter is the actual cone. It doesn't matter if the cone you see is 0, 15, 90 or 270 degrees wide if the jitter is +/-5deg. That 10 degrees wide stripe is all you have to work with.

Assuming +/-5deg
    width of a cone defined by an angle 2a at distance x is 2*x*tg(a). tg(5deg) is 0.0875. That means the width of the cone increases by 1.75m every 10m:
    8.75m@50
    17.5m@100
    26.25m@150

and even if you don't bother with math and go along the center, you will miss the dude just by few meters tops. In other words this cone thing looks an awful lot like a smoke and mirrors and is almost as bad as accurate vector. The only saving grace is that it doesn't tell the distance.

The cone doesn't make sense if it doesn't represent the actual range of possible values created by the jitter.
    Personally i'd consider +/-30deg (60 deg arc) a bare minimum if we really really have to have it.
    • Up x 1