[Suggestion] Jetpack mode switch ability

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by -IC3-, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Achmed20

you should stop thinking in black and white because bascily everything allways is based on the point of view. While its wrong to wear bikinis in some countries, its perfectly fine to go nude to beach in others.
    those are all possible meanings of the word and i think we are talking about point 3. here (at least i do).

all depends on your situation (aka the combination of circumstances at a given moment) and is therefore: situational
    and this game is all about beeing equiped right for the current situation so how can you say its just situational for LAs?

from a developer point of view i have even more reasons on my list to not implement this and rather go for a hybrid jet instead. but to prevent myself from getting flamed to oblivion i'd arther not post any of them here ^^
  2. RomulusX

yes please!
  3. Wolfwood82

You realize that point 3 is the entire problem of your argument right?

DJs require a combination of circumstances at a specific moment in order to be useful. JJs don't. You and I both agree that this is the definition of situational, so you can't say it's based on POV now. And the argument is that JJs are just more useful then DJs because DJs are a very situational asset.

The elements required to build a proper situation for DJ use, and the process to obtain said elements, is potentially disastrous by comparison. Not only do you need a higher start location then your intended destination, you have to get to that higher start location. In order to best utilize an asset meant to provide increased mobility, you have to move to a specific location, which kind of defeats the purpose of a class that relies heavily on increased mobility. JJs don't have either of these requirements and therefore waste less time in transition and more time moving on to the next challenge.

It really is that simple.
  4. Minsc

To be honest, jump jets are somewhat situational. Why use them if you have nothing to jump up to? In Esamir, for instance, there are lots of open areas with just a few rocks that you can just jump onto, no need for jets. In that area, jumpjets take a back seat to drifters because they allow for faster horizontal movement once you get a little height.

Yes, jumpjets are a LOT more versatile and there is very rarely a situation where jumpjets aren't useful.

However, they are many situations where drifter jets would work better than jumpjets, though jumpjets would still work. Which is what Achmed's point is, I believe.

What about a new jetpack that allows for the switch? It bases fuel capacity/consumption off the certs for the other 2 jetpack certs, but reduced, so the switchable jet is not quite as good as having a non-switchable equipped. Perhaps it just knocks off 2 cert levels for the fuel/consumption? Or it could require level 5 drifter and normal jets to unlock it and have a static reduction?
  5. Wolfwood82

Why would you be in an area where there is nothing to jump up to? How many such areas actually exist? JJs aren't just good at getting to an elevated position, they are also good for going over an obstacle.

My point is that DJs as a stand alone unit are inferior to JJs. That's all it boils down to, a level 1 JJ will out perform the level 5 DJ. They have their different uses, but most of what a DJ can do, a JJ can do as well. And the reverse is simply not true.

Actually the best thing I could think of is to keep the two seperate, but add a switch so that you can use the other jet at a severely reduced level.

For example if you had JJs at whatever level, you could hold shift while jumping and you would get the level 1 equivalent of the DJs, regardless of your level in JJ or DJ. Likewise while equipped with DJs you can hold shift and get the benefit of a level 1 JJ. That way you aren't sacrificing 80% of your mobility for just a marginal amount of speed.
  6. Achmed20

point of view aggain my friend.
    while you find DJs so much situational (which you made pretty clear and your post above this), others and me find the JJs more situational because we just adapted to the tradeoff we made. ofc there are situations where i wish i had JJs on me, but those are rare for me. usualy just have them when assaulting towers and in Biodomes.

i dont get why its so hard for you to accept that other people might have different opinions on this.

edit: maybe we/you start a new thread about pro and cons of DJs vs JJs (we are kinda highjacking this thread). i'd bet you'd be suprised how little the disadvantages are, if we all share the experienced we gained while using DJs over JJs
  7. Wolfwood82

There is no point. There is stubborn and then there is blind stubborn.

I have rarely presented a personal situation, and have kept my personal opinion on the subject segregated from the actual discussion. It is not a matter of personal opinion, it is a matter of getting use to a handicap in order to take advantage of an asset, which I believe is the main point that you are having trouble understanding. You and others are use to this handicap, and yet you still more or less "cheat" by switching back to JJs around towers and biodomes.
  8. Achmed20

who is stubborn now :p
  9. Deathcapt

Hold F to drift, hold space to ascend. I think it'd be fair.
  10. Minsc

I'd prefer shift over F as the switch, it means I can press D while drifter jetting. But perhaps it could be a keybinding we could set, so we don't argue over the button.:p

I think we can all agree that having the ability to switch from normal jets to drifter would be awesome.
  11. Wolfwood82

I'm a Scorpio and a Dog, we're stubborn people. Problem is I'm not trying to argue against an objective truth. You might as well insist that light only functions as a photon and then declare you can't really be wrong because it's your "opinion". You apply to much introspection to your thought and suddenly it's just true to you, but not true in general.
    Actually the best idea for this is to simply hold shift while jumping to use the drifter ability. Or "secondary" ability if we went with both packs being able to use the other's ability at level 1.