[Suggestion] Jetpack mode switch ability

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by -IC3-, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Achmed20

you make it sound so easy and probably it would be coding whise. but then you kinda have to include this for every class or at least give me/them a good reason why HAs and Infils cant have both abilities too.

we have No F ability doesnt count btw. ours is just bound to the spacebar instead of "F".
  2. Minsc

We have only one ability. So adding the switch between jet modes would be equivalent to having two.

Rundown of classes:
    Infil: Detection darts, cloak, hacking (3 unique abilities)
    Medic: Heal gun, AoE heal (2 unique abilities, 3 if you count res)
    Heavy: Rocket launchers, shield (2)
    Engineer: turret, ammo pack, repair gun (3)
    Light assault: jetpack (1 ability)

Personally, I think it's a fantastic ability. Being able to make that one ability more versatile by having it mode toggle-able, would make it completely on par with the other abilities of the other classes. I'm also of the belief that infiltrators need a bit more to truly infiltrate, but that's a conversation for a different subforum.
  3. -IC3-

Is the way I thinked at it initially, or with another cert (the switch), for sure it make sense to allready have the two lines to level up separately.
  4. -IC3-

Sound good to have it on another key like the shift one like sprinting

Pressing only bar = Drift/overing
    Bar+**** = jump

would be nice, fun, usefull and (pre-testing) game balanced
  5. Krona

This would be so boss.
  6. Hydragarium

But really - The "F" ability isn't missing. It's simply moved to the spacebar.
  7. Rhumald

dear god every class would benefit from being able to do this with some part of their getup (like how engineers can either deploy an ammo pack from their turret, which makes allot of sense if you think about it.)
  8. Minsc

Truth! Infiltrators could toggle cloak mods, heavies could have different types of shields (one for flack, one for guns) that they strategically toggle between, medics could get an AoE special ability recharge toggle (unaffected by other medics using the same ability), and our beloved LAs could use drifter and normal jumpjets.
  9. Wolfwood82

Other class abilities are not compatible. HAs have resist shield which adds a damage mitigation rather then damage prevention. This ability is not situational, it is a direct side grade to play style and can be utilized in exactly the same situations. What infiltrator abilities are you talking about? Not familiar enough with the infiltrator class.

You forgot Infiltrator sniping, Medic ARs, Heavy AV grenades, LMGs, and HWs (Lasher/MCG/JackHammer), and Engineer AV mines. I forgot which class has the sticky grenades.

But really it's not about unique ability, it's about ability vs potential. This one tweak would give LA all the ability it needs to meet it's potential.
  10. Minsc

I didn't want to deal with weapons, those define a role and aren't abilities per se. Especially because of variation in the guns. But I did forget explosives, yes.

I don't think this one tweak would do everything to meet the LA's potential. It would do a lot to make us more versatile, indoors and out. However, this plus something new might push us over the top, unless it's a small thing (like ammo scavenging). Something more support related would be kinda nice, but we are light assaults after all...
  11. Wolfwood82

And really the only support the assault classes have is fire support related. HAs go a long way towards helping to clear tactical ground and air assets, as do MAX suits. LA seems more meant to assault tactical and strategic locations, such as infantry firing lines and base generators.

That being said, what I'd like to see is in addition to C4, we have access to shaped charges. These would do about 15-20% more damage then C4, but have an extremely small splash radius with a very high drop off rate. It would give us the ability to destroy standing structures like turrets and lightnings with a single charge, and a better ability to destroy other strategic targets like deployed sunderers, so long as our charge lands directly on the target vehicle. As well as the ability to switch between DJs and JJs on the fly.

I do not think that scavenging ammo is a great idea because that promotes a lone wolf play style and I honestly don't want us to be geared towards that play style.
  12. Achmed20

thats pretty much what i ment by "make sound so easy".

HA could use the mesh shield to storm a building, once in, he could switch to adrenaline shield to refill shields.
    same for infils. sneak into a base, once inside and got swarmed by enemies, switch to the resist shield because they know you are there anyway (despite the fact that the shield is utter useless ^^).
    both examples sound pretty situational for me.

im the last person who is against this change but i doubt we are going to get it. like i said, its just not so easy.
  13. Wolfwood82

Adrenaline is a direct upgrade over the standard mesh shield. So is the nano-armor cloak if it still allows you to cloak, believe it or not. It's adding something to the character's abilities, not really changing it like the HA Resist shield or replacing it like DJs. Severely shortened duration but that's what certs are for. And adrenaline relies on the character killing opponents in order to recharge it's shield. It most certainly is not something you want to just "flip on" immediately after breaching a room, as it sounds like it does the same thing that the normal shield does.

Situational means the ability is useful depending entirely on your situation, Achmed. There are points where if you have DJs equipped, you won't be able to accomplish the task in front of you. While JJs can accomplish many of the tasks that DJs can without changing the circumstances (elevating the start point for example).

Meaning you have a wall in front of you. In order to pass the wall you must jump 6 feet into the air. This is absolutely nothing to JJs but impossible for DJs. In order for DJs to accomplish this task, they must start from a higher location. The further that location is, the higher they have to be and the more certs they have to invest. They rely entirely on their terrain to accomplish the same task that JJs can without any such reliance. This isn't an improvement, it's a liability.

Meanwhile you need to coast from one building to another. JJs can do this to about 30-40m or so at level 2-3 from an even height without a problem, coasting not just jumping. DJs once again require a higher start point. When jumping from one tower across a gateway to the next tower, this makes a huge difference as both towers are precisely the same height.

Now you can coast a lot further with DJs (after investing certs), but again this is entirely reliant on terrain and surroundings. That reliance is what makes DJs extremely situational compared to JJs. When in open fields DJs are probably better then JJs, but in base combat JJs will outstrip DJs. And they don't lose major advantages in open field the way DJs do in base combat. DJs can't climb vertical surfaces after all.
  14. Achmed20

honestly i stoped reading here because its all depends on the point of view and i dont think we will ever come to the same conclusion.

i posted my POV, you posted yours, not much sense in arguing any further i guess :)
    (which doesnt mean you or i are wrong, but i dont think you can convince me since im kinda stubborn)

edit: i think i know what drifters and JJs are cappable off. not sure, but i think i kinda started the whole Drifter Jets stuff here (inofficial drifter fanclub) because i refused to believe they were useless.

as a HA or Infil i would certainly be kinda pissed if i couldnt just switch modes like a LA could.
    especialy as infiltrator since infiltrating a base is so god dam hard. dmg mitigation cloak (forgot the name) on the fly would realy help there and you might aswell have a reason to even put certs in it.

like i said, if they put it in, great!
    if they just put it in for LAs? prepare for a 5h1tstorm from other classes
  15. Trinith

I don't use the drifter jets as it is, they seem pretty inferior to the normal ones so I don't want to give the normal ones up. A switch would be a nice way to give drifters some use.
  16. Eyeklops

So far as I can tell, nowhere in the Planetside 2 handbook does it say that all classes have to have the same number of special features. A good idea is a good idea, and this is a good idea. If they made a change like this and brought back the Icarus JJ's, that would be a tough choice (whereas before it was Icarus all the way for me). But as it stands, drifter jets alone are pure novelty IMO.
  17. Achmed20

couldnt aggree more.
    i'm just trying to show up reasons why they might not include it and/or where problems might occur (part of my RL job).
    so its probably my nature to sound like a total ****** ;)
  18. Stormlight666

I disagree with that. Just have the F key change the ability from jump to drift and still have it modified by the cert tree.
  19. Wolfwood82

But it's not based on POV, at all. It's exactly how the word is described in the dictionary.

sit·u·a·tion (s[IMG]ch[IMG][IMG]-[IMG][IMG]sh[IMG]n)
    n.
    a. The way in which something is positioned vis-à-vis its surroundings.
    b. The place in which something is situated; a location.
    2. Position or status with regard to conditions and circumstances.
    3. The combination of circumstances at a given moment; a state of affairs. See Synonyms at state.
    4. A critical, problematic, or striking set of circumstances.
    5. A position of employment; a post.
    sit[IMG]u·a[IMG]tion·al adj.
    sit[IMG]u·a[IMG]tion·al·ly adv.
    Everything about the DJs is situational. You need the proper surroundings and terrain readily available in order to take advantage of them. JJs do not have this limitation and can be used to great effect in situations DJs cannot, the reverse is not true.
    DJs are situational. Situational means the ability is entirely dependent on your situation. There is no argument to this, there is no POV to contemplate. It is a set fact.
    The same can't really be said about the HA shields. Resist shields are not better for certain situations, only certain load outs (I imagine Resist Shield + Flak Armor would be extremely useful when tank hunting, for example. Likewise when combined with nano-weave armor for a more infantry focused load out). Adrenaline shield is a direct upgrade from the Mesh shield but likely does not work so well when tank hunting, which the normal HA shield isn't so hot at anyway.

By comparison the DJs are extremely situational in comparison to JJs. They can do a FEW things better then JJs, and have a limited number of abilities that JJs cannot do. How these abilities can apply to a combat situation is irrelevant, we're just taking a measure of basic use in terms of mobility.

Feel free to be stubborn Achmed. Your a great player, you could probably take the biggest piece of heaping steaming bull **** in the game and make it look like an awesome weapon/tool/device/practical joke. This doesn't make it a great, useful, powerful, under-appreciated, or well designed asset. It's the nature of the player, not the item in question. If the item in question was useful, it would not take a great player to point this out. It's value would be obvious from square one.
  20. klor

I think being able to swap with no drawback would be too strong. I could maybe get behind it with some of the drawbacks suggested but I really don't think the class needs it.

Drifters can be a lot of fun in direct combat, you can circle strafe enemies faster than they can track you while ADS (unless they have ridiculous sensitivity). Used with the adrenaline pump you can really get moving fast.