[Suggestion] Jetpack: Alternative, 'Thrusters'?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by BradPhusionn, Dec 18, 2012.

1. BradPhusionn

Okay, so the title doesn't really explain much, so I'll just write it rather briefly, as this is my first post in the forums.

Before I do that however, I have to say, this game is amazing, and have been playing ever since early beta.

Now to the point: I don't often play as LA. When I do, it's enjoyable, but I tend to usually switch back to the ENG simply because I find myself piloting my Reaver more than I use my legs.

I like the jetpack. Simple, gets you places. Mostly, upwards. But I have a suggestion (Same idea, two different execution methods);

Horizontal Jetpacks.

1st Execution: Cert Tree
    2nd Execution: The ability to equip either normal Jetpack, or change to the Thrusters (lame idea, but whatever)

Now now, I know there is already a Cert. Tree for this sort of Jetpack, however it's not the same as what I'm suggesting. My idea, has no vertical thrust or hovering capabilities at all.

To put it simply, it would function very much like the MAX's Rush/Charge ability, propelling the player forward at higher speeds, and upgrading would result in longer bursts / faster speeds.

I honestly don't think this sort of idea would be too 'OP' as it limits the LA unit to the ground, but allows them to move at higher speeds in exchange for reach and height.

What do you guys think?
    • Up x 1
  2. Achmed20

i'd like that. would give us some sort of "dodging" which is badly needed imho
  3. BradPhusionn

Well, yeah, that could be what it is used for. Press shift and a direction or something like that.
  4. MarlboroMan-E

Oooh, like a TF2 scout, but with a cool down. I don't see why not, it's an option that wouldn't be hard for the devs to add. I probably wouldn't use it, but it certainly does no harm.
  5. Minsc

The drifter jumpjets are horizontal only. You could give those a try. I wish I could hold shift and switch between normal and drifter jets on the fly (literally).
  6. Sento

One guy brought up this idea a loooong time ago and has made threads about it a bunch. I always thought it was a great idea and would expand on that classes play style as kinda "rush troopers" or something. Currently LA just get on roofs and other high places to ambush enemies.

Drifter jets to my knowledge still have up thrust you just have more horizontal control and less vertical thrust then the default ones. This idea is jets that only shoot your horizontally, like a dash or dodge.
  7. Regpuppy

Nope, absolutely no upward motion whatsoever. But they last a LONG time and can bring you from a freefall to a dead stop and they keep you at a stable height for the duration... not to mention, they recharge fast.

I miss Icarus jump jets....
  8. FlayvorOfEvil

Kind of like the thrusters you see on giant robots? That certainly makes it useful for LA to evade bullets and the increased speed will prevent them from strafing in a circle around the enemy killing them.
  9. BradPhusionn

Yeah, pretty much like that, maybe a little faster, and if used whilst jumping, propels them forward :)

So pretty much, it uses up all the jetpack fuel in a sudden burst, moving the person extremely quickly in direction. Not sure how it would work for dodging side to side, or backwards, but it would be nice.