jaguar or Lynx

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by xSalt, Aug 12, 2015.

1. xSalt

jaguar or Lynx for my engie? It seems jaguar handles identical to trac 5. Which is what I'm currently using. But I like the tight cof in ads mode of the Lynx. What are your people's thoughts.
  2. V193R

Depends on what your prefered fighting range is. The Jaguar is arguably the most well rounded carbine in the TR arsenal. Great in every situation, but doesn't really excel in either one. The Lynx is a great cqc weapon, which is also fairly accurate, but the low damage profile really takes away some of it's potential at range.

If I have to use one and one only, I would take the Jaguar. It will never disappoint you if your aim is at least decent. Take the Lynx only, if you are finding yourself in cqc often.
    • Up x 2
  3. NCstandsforNukaCola

I'd go for Jaguar for 0.75x movement speed and versatility.
    Of course it is geared to close quarter combat but if you slap forward grip on it, the jaguar is more close to all-rounder.
  4. Eternaloptimist

Um.Trac 5 Burst. Sorry, I know that is not your question but I just started using burst carbines since the buff and well, ..........damn!
  5. Dualice

The Lynx is a real monster in CQ, I found it especially effective prioritizing ADS. As a few others have said, though, it does not transfer to ranged engagements very well due to its damage profile and bloom/RoF. If you're heading into a tight spot like a biolab the Lynx may be your best bet, but for general-purpose stuff you really can't go wrong with the Jaguar.
  6. DeadlyPeanutt

jaguar is the most balanced carbine in the game. it is massively stable in mid range situations and has a great cone of fire for CQC. it's not a bullet hose and has 100 RPM less fire rate than the serpent or GD F7, but makes up for that with a 40 round mag. it's one of my favorite weapons in the game for engie. (slap on the front grip and soft point ammo, of course)

i run the jaguar in my TR character and i love it.
    in VS and NC, i have to choose between a serpent/GD F7 and pulsarC/AX11
  7. Erendil

http://ps2model-axiom.rhcloud.com/#sttk/sh100-10-10/la/1/19000S/7193

If the above link is correct, then the Jag actually kills faster than the Lynx. If this is the case, then I have to ask, what's the point of the Lynx?

The Jag kills faster, has a higher DPM, tighter hipfire, .75x ADS movement, and doesn't feel significantly less accurate during ADS.

The Lynx does have tighter Horizontal recoil and Tolerance, but if I was concerned about that I'd just stick w/ the TRAC-5.

So TR, what niche is filled by the Lynx? Why would you use it over the Jag or TRAC?
  8. _itg

The site you linked is wrong. The Lynx kills in 7*60/909 = 0.462 seconds. The Jaguar kills in 6*60/750 = 0.48 seconds. Higher RoF also provides a number of benefits in CQC, particularly better performance against nanoweave and/or the HA shield.
    • Up x 1
  9. Erendil

Ahh, okay cool. That site is getting a bit long in the tooth and it does have some inaccurate/outdated data. Too bad too because the UI is awesome otherwise.

So to put it in terms I'm more familiar with (143-dmg weapons), the Lynx kills about as fast as a 6*60/.462 = 779 RPM 143-damage weapon (if such a weapon existed). Good to know.
  10. RedArmy

personally i feel the Lynx is actually better at distance shots over the Jaguar - i should know as ive got 6.5k kills with the Jag and 2.5k kills with the lynx. i think the lynx is overall better than the jag, but the loss of the ADS movement speed negligable - so perhaps with the fwd grips n whatnot it further makes each better or worse - i kill faster and miss less using the Lynx even at longer ranges
  11. belthazor3457

The jaguar is the best "investment" carbine you can get as TR. The lynx has a very low TTK and sprays a lot of damage rapidly, and it can drop an enemy heavy faster than they will trigger their shield frequently - but its ability to function at range isn't so great, and after you drop that first infantryman you'll be out of bullets and in need of a reload. This is of course valuable, but not if you want to take an all-around piece of kit that will serve you well. The jaguar has the best hipfire (meaning it carries usefulness over to a light assault weapon you can fire while using said jetpack and thus offers extra utility for other roles), maintains reasonable use at longer range, and will be the weapon of the two you'll want if you're about to face down two enemies and want to drop both.

They are both useful in their own way, but if you are operating on some sort of limited budget, the jaguar is essentially your "mud gun" AK-47 that will serve you reasonably well in whatever condition you decide to drag it around in.
  12. Plastikfrosch

the jaguar is a lot more trustworthy than the lynx. It has a better accuracy and unlike the lynx and the trac 5 it doesnt have the tr typical horizontal shake and the 0,75ads helps a lot more to outdance HAs. while using the jaguar i survive a lot more direct engagements against HAs than with the lynx simply because ot the those named features of the jaguar.
  13. CMDante

The Lynx is just straight-up worse than the NC or VS high DPS carbines. Use a Jag because it's infinitely more versatile and only baaarely slower to kill.
    • Up x 1
  14. Eskel3

The lynx was made for cqc situations not for long range keep in mind, I have some experience with the jaguar, it is better range and accuracy wise but has a lower rof than the lynx
  15. Deffington

Talking about these TR guns, aren't they heavily surpassed by NC GD-7F on close range?
  16. CMDante

Heavily; like the GD-7F (And Serpent) have 2013 DPS. The Lynx is our highest at 1893. Doesn't seem like a whole lot but that means you're dead in under half a second.
  17. Iridar51

"Heavily surpassed" is heavily exaggerated. In a situation where 2 guys stand in front of each other at 10m and shoot each other, the Lynx will lose without headshots. By 5%. That doesn't mean it's a bad weapon or that it's worse than its competition.

Lynx trades bloom and DPS for more stable recoil, faster reload and larger mag size. Whether that tradeoff is good or not depends on the user and situation. Lynx is cleaner and more comfortable to use in many ways.
    • Up x 1
  18. Ximaster

Autoshotgun.
  19. RedArmy

other than the GD's piss poor accuracy and cone of fire
  20. DeadlyPeanutt

this is true. the reason is because the lynx has lower damage per round than the serpent or the GD-F7.

the CR damage for the lynx is 125 and for the serpent and GD-F7 it's 143.... and all three have about the same RPM and hip fire characteristics.

the lynx has a slightly higher rate of fire, but much lower damage per round. it's a lot of fun to run with, but not a good CQC carbine compared to the serpent and GD-F7.

I still run with the jag in CQC situations. with a higher damage per round, it's TTK is pretty close to the lynx and it works better at medium range. also, the jag has a great hipfire cone of fire. I run with forward grip and SPA in both CQC and medium range situations.