I've Been Waiting 8 Years for This

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stellus, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Stellus

Ever since PS1 launched, I've been wondering where this type of gameplay would be in the future. PS1 was way before its time and was a testament of things to come. Except no other company followed suit. No one noticed the pure beauty of a massively multiplayer FPS with true persistence, and PlanetSide remained alone, aged to senility, holding on to a handfull of diehards.

I never thought Planetside 2 would ever be created, so when it was first announced, I felt relieved that it got recognition from its creators, that they saw its potential, and decided to once again show the world the pure beauty in utter chaos. All too often games like these show promise, potential, and customer loyalty, only for its IP and ideas to be retired or sold where it languishes in a dusty virtual warehouse.

Not PlanetSide and certainly not SOE. So from a former PS1 vet - thank you. Thank you for doing something different - for not following the market and not releasing another stale cookie cutter. Thank you for taking the risk in releasing something the world once saw and will see again. Say what you will about SOE, but they blaze their own trails and PlanetSide proves it.
    • Up x 3
  2. MuNrOe

Looking forward to many more years of playing the sequel to the best game ever made. Thank you SOE.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  3. Askar

Glad to see such enthusiasm! That said, I've been away for a few months, but when last I played the beta all the vets started hating the game after a few minutes of play when they relized it's not PS1 at all.

By the way, how the heck do I reinstall it? My beta client no longer works (of course), clicking install on steam just takes me back to the store page, and only the PS2 forums will load for me, not the main site. What do I do?
  4. Otleaz

You had me until you said "For not following the market..."

Next time you make a sarcastic post, you should be less subtle. Most people won't catch on with your current style.
  5. Stellus

I was serious...
  6. ikon

i remember being back in high school, student teaching for the comp/electronics's class
    instead id sit in the teachers place and hang out in the ps1 forums

oh how things have changed
  7. FA_Q2

Correction: the vocal minority started hating.

There are a lot of things to be desired BUT there is nowhere else to go and there is nothing that can capture the epic scale that this game entails. There are a few people complaining that PS1 was better but there are ALWAYS people complaining. I want some of the same things myself but this is the first game that I have ever waited till the SECOND that the game launched to get it.
  8. ArcaneGuardian

Exactly this.

But I too am very happy with what they've done here. This really is something that has never been done before, as a sequel to a game that likewise when introduced no one had done before.

I think SOE is doing a great job.
  9. SolLeks

I am a PS1 vet and I am loving this game, sure there are few flaws but overall it is great.

on the steam thing, try restarting steam. that worked for me.
  10. Stellus

Hah! Oh yes, memories. I recall being back home in between college semesters playing PS1 in my room upstairs with speakers turned up kind of high and the background music playing. My little sister shouting up the stairs "why do I keep hearing a jungle flute?!". I have Don Ferrone to thank for that :)
  11. efx00

Are you with the Praetorian Guard?
    • Up x 1
  12. PineSG

Well said.

Sturmgrenadier had about 50 folks sitting in TS waiting on the DL to begin. As one by one we got in, they peeled off into the squads in other TS channels. 2003 all over again.. and I loved every minute of skipping work to be there....
  13. JohnWayne

Tons of people drinking the cool aid in this post...
  14. Stellus

Or we just know how to appreciate and enjoy a video game. :)