[Suggestion] Its time to make SMG's & common pool shotguns Class Specific.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scr1nRusher

SMG's should only be on the LA,Engineer & Infiltrator.

Common pool shotguns(Pump actions & the 3 normal shotguns(standard, high capacity,full auto)) should be exclusive to the LA & Engineer.
    • Up x 5
  2. FateJH

Fine, I'll bite. Why?

Edit: by the way, the only common pool shotgun is the Baron. The Pump Actions and the three "normal" shotguns are considered empire specific.
    • Up x 1
  3. maxwell smart

hmm i like my pandora on HA its splashtastic
    also nighthawk on my tr HA is fun
    and whats with the jackhammer?
  4. Ronin Oni

He wants NC HA's to be the only HA's with shotties (nvm it's the best shotty anyways).

In any case, I disagree. No shotties on Infil and SMG's on all classes seems perfectly fine to me.
    • Up x 6
  5. Scr1nRusher

All other primary weapon types are Class specific.

HA's get LMG's
    Medics get AR's
    LA & Engineers get Carbines(Keep in mind that Engineers & LA's share a arsenal, with BR's being the exception to that rule.)
    Infiltrators get Sniper rifles.

Battle Rifles are on HA's,Medics & Engineers.(They should really give them to Infiltrators already)

SMG's and common pool shotguns are on classes that they really don't make sense for.

Think of it this way.

Which classes get the most out of SMG's?: LA's,Infiltrators & Engineers.

Which classes get the most out of common pool shotguns?: LA & Engineers.

Not every class needs to have access to SMG's and Shotguns. Most of the time this is due to the weapon arsenals the class already has filling the CQC-Close range niches.

A big problem in this game is a CQC weapon saturation. Does most if not all classes need to have SMG & Common pool Shotgun access?
  6. Scr1nRusher

No I want balance.

Also the Jackhammer is a ES heavy weapon. Its a completely different classification then the "common pool" shotguns.

I made the OP short & sweet & not complicated.
  7. Ronin Oni

but... it IS balanced.

All 3 factions have the same availability.

Also, noone cares about SMG/Shotgun on Medic, so it's pretty blatant you only want to remove them from HA's

Which would leave NC HA's with the only CQB dominance weapon. As it is, they still have the best 2 (Cyclone + Jackhammer)
    • Up x 7
  8. Casterbridge

Eh the TR would be fine, the Chain Gun is more than good enough for close range combat when compared to the Jackhammer, in some ways much better and in some ways worse.

The VS however would have issues, cause while I like the lasher it most certainly is not a close combat weapon.
  9. Doc Jim

No thank you, I like being able to equip all my load-outs with the same weapon.
    • Up x 1
  10. Scr1nRusher

Not every class needs to have access to SMG's & shotguns.

You don't want to mud the waters of which class is good in X ranges & encourage more people to run blindy into rooms,around corners or into the enemy do you?
  11. SavageBacon

SMGs being made common pool was because during the time when SMGs came out CQC options weren't necessarily available to all classes across all factions outside of shotguns. Now that you have CQC variants, the SMG doesn't need to be common pool.

Shotguns should remain though... It's a trade-off from forgiving bullet hose to less forgiving heavy hitter
    • Up x 1
  12. Scr1nRusher

The moment you realize that COD & the BF series can get weapon class relationships better then PS2 has because they limited weapons to certain loadouts & classes.
  13. Skiptrace

SMG's should not be allowed on HA, that's it really. they don't need the CQC power, because most of their LMG's already have CQC power. Shotguns should remain common pool though.
  14. Scr1nRusher

But do you want to face a room full of shotguns on varying classes or a room filled with a variety of weapons on different classes?

Which classes truely get the most out of common pool shotguns? That is the question that should be talked about.
  15. Ronin Oni

MCG is good once it's spun up (which that BRRT attachment does help a fair bit)

It's like a massive magazine SMG once it hits full RoF, but it's spin-up kills it as a reactionary CQB, which is usually the primary need for CQB weapons.

It's good if you pull the trigger as you round a corner into a room with multiple enemies.... but them, honestly the Carv does that just about as well anyways IMO
  16. Flamberge

Not sure how I feel on this issue, but...

It is kind of cheesy when I see a HA, with Composite Armor and some fancy helm, nice camo, looks like a beast...
    And he's holding this itty-bitty SMG. It just looks off, at least to me.
    • Up x 2
  17. Ronin Oni

Restating for emphasis.

There's no bloody point in removing them. All you're going to do is piss off a small segment of people who use them.

Do Cyclone HA's bug the hell outta me? Sure, but it's also the only real way for NC HA's to be competitive in CQB outside the Jackhammer.

Medics all have AR's that put SMG's to shame anyways, and typically you never want to restrict yourself to shotgun range as a medic, so removing them is entirely meaningless.

I never even consider SMG on Engineer. Carbine is preferable. I do have a shotgun build where I use AI MANA turret for any ranged engagements... but that's more just ot force myself to use the MANA gun, and have a great point blank personal defense weapon for anyone that closes on me. (It's primarily a MAX support)

Infil is generally the only time I ever pull an SMG, and LA a shotgun... with very VERY few exceptions....

So really, I see basically zero need for this restriction.
    • Up x 1
  18. Casterbridge

I don't use the Chaingun without the BRRT, I honestly don't see the point, without it you are right I'd just assume use the Carv.
  19. Foxirus

All I see here is "I'm NC, I don't want any other heavy carrying a shotgun. Only NC can carry shotguns on the heavy." Not happening.
    • Up x 1
  20. Scr1nRusher

You actually gave good reasoning on why the restrictions should happen.

SMG's & shotguns are pointless on the medic class.

SMG's are a gimmick that also causes balance issues on the HA class.

SMG's & shotguns are really obsolete on alot of classes that have them.

The only time you can effectively get the most out of SMG's is on the infiltrator or LA, and you can get the most out of shotguns is on the LA.

Now as for the "All you're going to do is piss off a small segment of people who use them.". Tough luck for those buttercups.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.