Is This the Most Unstable Current Gen game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AzureKnight, Apr 13, 2014.

1. AzureKnight

Out of every current and previous gen game I've played, solo or multiplayer, online or offline, i swear this game is the most unstable. If I play for 4 hours, I'll crash between 2-5 times. it hasn't even always been this way, up until about December it was running fine, but since then, my games been locking up, crashing, freezing, and everything else that sends me to desktop more often than it should.

Could anybody explain why this happens? It's very annoying when you have less than 5 minutes left in an alert, or you're doing the best you ever have or will, and then it decides it's time to crash.
    • Up x 6
  2. RIctavius

Well.... you have several options to clear out your comp for conflicting program - full virus scans are the best currently (it helped once) two, software and hardware tweaking.

three, diagnosis from the first two options.
    • Up x 1
  3. AzureKnight

I can see an issue with conflicting programs, but I've closed all those roughly last year when it was making my game unplayable due to client side detection being just f-ed. I'll do a virus scan since it's been a while since I've done one, but this has been going on since before and after my last scan.

Tweaking hardware makes little sense as I've had the same hardware since last year only upgrading my hard drive back in September. But it still worked fine then.

I suppose software tweaking would be one way to go, but I have no idea where to even begin with that, or what would cause/fix the problem in that regard.
  4. Octiceps

Now that BF4 is (mostly) fixed, yes this is.
  5. TheBloodEagle

Maybe a driver issue?
  6. Captain Kid

I crash frequently. sometimes not for hours, sometimes after 30 minutes. This is normal for a SOE game.
    • Up x 2
  7. NaySayer

Driver issues, software running in the background, certain startup processes, this amount of diagnostics to run a game is NOT reasonable. I think it's great that there are people who can run this game problem free, I envy them. But when less than 20% (that's really stretching it) of the people who play say that this game runs perfectly fine and that everyone else should run this and that and end this process and that process and reinstall the game even if you've already reinstalled the game, I'm not buying it. The game is the issue, not my pc.
    • Up x 4
  8. MasonSTL

Driver issues and background software issues aren't really SOEs fault, that's more or less user fault and/or Nvidia's.
    • Up x 1
  9. AzureKnight

What I'm getting from the guy you quoted is that it's not reasonable for the game to crash because of all those processes, driver issues, and software (things that vary with each user), when other games do not.

You can't blame NVidia. They make a new product and whereas their new drivers may have issues, they release patches to fix issues. Not to mention, those drivers are for only the newest cards. My card is by no means a new card. My card's a GTX 550TI, I've been running the 311.06 driver since it's been out, and nothing has changed on my computer save my hard drive which was changed out 4 months before this started happening regularly. And yet, I've crashed more in the past 3 month than I have in the almost year I've played before that. That's not Nvidia's fault.

Games crashing due to background programs, no that's not SOE's fault. But when you are running the same specs and same programs as you were a year ago, and it's been crash regularly compared to a year ago when it never crashed, that leads one to conclude that it's more problem with the coding of the game, not user end software, background programs, or anything of the like.
  10. MasonSTL

Ok yeah in that respect it makes sense.
    • Up x 1
  11. QuakerOatsMan

Well, it IS a unique FPS in that it's the largest of its kind, so there's bound to be some hard-to-find/squash bugs here and there. There's no reason for them to hold off on fixing major bugs (i.e.: losing potential players) unless they're under-resourced or something.
    • Up x 2
  12. Goretzu

I have no idea why it CTD so much, it does so much more than anything else I play.

Which might be understandable if it were happening 100% in huge battles, but it CTD just as much when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

What is in many ways worse is (as you say) that sometimes it goes through periods of stability only for it to suddenly become terrible again.

I've given up wondering why, I just don't both trying to play when it's CTD a lot.
    • Up x 1
  13. Kunavi

Yeah blame it on the guy's rig... :rolleyes: It's getting old when people with high end PCs are getting the same results as those. I have 2 PCs here, vastly different. These issues are RANDOM and not caused on our end by any stretch of logic. Stuff running on the back? Nope. Nothing. As Moukass recently stated it's ridiculous that at least the average high end PC user can't get ~60FPS where it really matters for PS2, running even optimal settings(IE not all Ultra, not every single thing checked ETC).

For ONE YEAR and more I've formatted, configured, tweaked, searched, questioned and changed a GAZILLION things on my PC just to keep running PS2 and that's on a PC that should handle this like nothing and spit it out, considering what PS2 is really. Some might say that 16GB is low, some might say that dual 680 GTX are not enough, that it's my I7 @ 3.5. I call BS, Every SINGLE GAME I'm playing right now up to the most recent releases have ZERO, 0, NOT A SINGLE problem.

Keep thinking it's us, keep giving SOE Out-Of-Jail slips on this issue, keep frustrating others by telling them it's their fault and I'll see you on the next MMOFPS; Because this one's not going to last much longer way SOE does things and at one point you'll get tired of defending what you have no reason to play any more.
    • Up x 2
  14. Kerunian

I'll be that guy.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? :p
    • Up x 3
  15. Vixxing

Same for me, game been running fine til recently... now i crash all the time..
  16. NinjaKirby

I'd just like to voice that ForgeLight/PS2 runs flawlessly on two completely different custom PC builds I have (Intel & AMD, different RAM Brands, different Nvidia GPU Manufacturers, different SSD's and Mobo chipsets)

It has to be something Local to the troublesome machine. Either Hardware, Software, or a piece of historical Software causing trouble. If fresh formats/OS Installations do not resolve the problem, it has to be Hardware level somehow.

Because ForgeLight in my personal experience, is 100% stable. I praise the Dev's good work.

I'm seriously not trying to rub salt in any wounds, but it's misleading to suggest ForgeLight is a flop (if anyone is suggesting such).
  17. z1967

It would help to know what the rest of your system is, could you post that?

If it happens in other games, it is your system.
    If it is only whilst playing Planetside 2, it is far more likely to be a game specific problem.

In the event you end up with a system problem, 90% of the time its the PSU or the HDD/SSD (which you recently replaced). If you have been over-clocking you might not have had proper cooling on board. I have heard that Windows 7 32/64 has also put forth some problems, I have been running Windows 8 (I hate retro) and have had only a few crashes, mostly during extended and/or resource intensive play.

I have been using the GTX 660 (2 GB) and it's most recent driver (376.11 or something like that) and have only had a few crashes during that time. But based on all the reports from other players I would say it is an issue with PS2 and not your system.
  18. Wecomeinpeace

Stable maybe, but if your engine can't do water (volumes or whatever they are called these days) and you have to resort to cheap workarounds (as i was told is still the case on hossin with textures slapped on), then something is not right.
    Heck, when PS2 launched they couldn't even do cuts into the terrain layer to create tunnels and such. It may be a stable engine, but it's also a dang WIP. Hence why people kept saying this game is a EQ:Next engine test.
  19. Goretzu

The problem with that idea is two fold in my case.

1. Nothing else is as unstable as PS2 (now I suppose it is possible that there is some specific issue just with PS2, but then that would suggest the issue WAS with PS2 one way or another).

2. There are periods of very good stability, then periods where PS2 will CTD almost constantly, sometimes there's a patch in-between sometimes there isn't (my PC remains the same either way - I've not changed Drivers much recent due to Nvidia's issues past 314 with some cards and now with PS2 issues with the latest Drivers), I've lost all will to try and make rhyme or reason from it.

Ironically I have no performance problems with PS2 at all, it runs very well, it just CTD a lot.
  20. DQCraze

It freezes 1 to 2 times per hour, CTD has gotten better but it seems to be an audio issue.