Is the CME being looked at/reworked?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tentakewls, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Tentakewls

At the moment, there's no reason the have the CME because it's almost identical to both the Equinox and the NS-11A ( although describing it that way is being very kind to the CME ). This gun is supposed to be the VS equivalent to the SABR and the Reaper, which are long range AR, a slot the VS currently lack since the closest we have is the Corvus, which is undoubtedly inferior to both of these weapons. VS complain of their weapons lacking diversity and I think reworking the CME would help a great deal with this. I also hate the fact that the best looking VS AR is just not worth getting over the Equinox or the NS-11A. Has there been any mention of this?
    • Up x 5
  2. Metallic123

I approve of faction traits in theory but the VS/TR do lack some serious diversity.
    • Up x 2
  3. starecrow

There's absolutely no reason to take it over the NS11A, which holds 5 more rounds and has .75 DAS move. But SOE seems really reluctant to change base stats (dmg, rof) or do radical changes, so it will always stay as another thing to aurax, and not a weapon that has an otherwise unfilled niche.

It would be a prime candidate for testing the heat displacement and other similar, "alien" mechanics.
    • Up x 1
  4. Tentakewls

Exactly. While the charge/heat mechanics still need work in this game, I'd still prefer them over the current CME, after all, even if you don't like them, you can use the Equinox or the NS-11A so you don't lose anything.
  5. libbmaster

I say buff the corvus to make it the equivalent of the SABR-13, give the NC a 167 damage high accuracy AR (gauss-S does not count) that falls into that category.

Then, you take the CME, and you make it into the ideal Vanu weapon: low recoil, lighting fast reload, average CoF while ADS/hipfiring, average RoF, .5 ADS multiplier and early damage drop off to keep it balanced.

So then every faction has one "faction specific" AR that embodies their traits: TRV, CME, and the DMR.
  6. Tentakewls

This is also a very good idea, especially if they add an Adv. Forward Grip to the Corvus and they could remove it from the CME if the team decides that Vanu having 3 weapons with Adv. Forward grip is too powerful for some reason.
    • Up x 1
  7. sindz

CME could be justified if it cost 100 certs.

But at 1k certs? Its prob the worst pick up in the game you can possible do, since NS-11A outshines it in every single area.
  8. Phyr

CME sounds nice, at least.
  9. Tentakewls

• Up x 1
  10. Tentakewls

I agree, at the moment it feels like one of those "trap" pick ups, like laser sights on shotguns and forward grips on sniper rifles.
    • Up x 1
  11. libbmaster

Yes, all 167 ranged AR's should have adv. fore grips. It really has no place on the CME.

I know people are worried about factions all being similar to each other, but every faction should have at least one gun for any given situation. I feel like they should build and define a "core" set of weapons that are kind of similar across factions, and then add on new "faction specific" weapons. It would be a good balance between variety and uniqueness.
  12. Tentakewls

No info on this yet?
    • Up x 1
  13. Ash87

Agreed

The NC have: Cannister shot, rail guns, and shields as wholy unique things no other faction has

The TR have: locking down

The VS have: Charge up, disco balls, no drop, no ammo weapons

I mean technically the TR get a more Types of weapons that are automatics... but that isn't really UNIQUE as Everyone has automatic weapons. Most TR weapons are just improved varieties of things everyone has, and for that reason it feels like that faction has very little identity. The VS are mostly in the same boat, they have their unique Mechanic (No drop), but weapon wise they could use a little more variety. The TR and VS need another different weapon type that they can use, that weapons can be built around. The options here are limitless.... Just going to spitball a few ideas that I am coming up with right now on the spot:

1.) Rotating canisters: TR specific: basically imagine a gun that has 3 canisters of ammo. You can fire and reload a canister, or you can rotate canisters after firing for an extra fast reload, or you can continue to fire a Lot and then reload as many canisters as you drain after you are done firing. Put this on a chaingun or something like that to make a true bullet hose, with a wider COF so it can actually be realistically used to suppress a door or something. So rotating to a new cannister will take let's say 0.5 seconds, reload per cannister takes 2 seconds, with a max of 3 cannisters, so reload can take Up To 6 seconds. Each cannister is 100 rounds, and you can carry 6 cannisters, but it takes your secondary away. This could be applied to tank guns firing a lot of smaller rounds, or to machine guns to make a really nice minigun, or even to anything else

2.) Hot plasma: Kind of a projectile flame thrower, it shoots balls of superheated plasma that are contained in a shield. As they float down range they cause minor damage to people because of the heat, but once it hits a target or a wall, the ball would explode, and cause AOE heat damage. You could either fire it as automatic, and it be very similar to the lasher (But with a slower firing rate and less AOE damage around the shots until they land and explode), or charge it up in secondary fire mode to fire one powerful blast that overheats the weapon for 10 seconds. This could be a tank gun that could be used as an HE alternate, or a good infantry blaster.

3.) Rocket propelled rounds: TR specific: A fundamentally different type of shot, this when fired will have a longer range and can carry heavier calibers or even a payload. So you could have bullets doing things typically reserved for larger guns: EMP shot, explosive rounds, etc. This could be a sniper weapon, it could work for most semi-automatics, could be made for a special heavy weapon, almost any vehicle, etc.

4.) Pain field: VS specific: You could use a weapon that it would could deploy a net or something that could be used to make something akin to the pain field you see around spawns, except deployable in one area or another.

5.) Magnetic tracer shot: Fire a pin, that another round travels to that location. Could pin to people, could pin to walls, could pin to anything.

6.) Blink generator: Throws you a short distance

7.) Stimulant packs: Makes you tougher and you can run faster for a short time.

You could shoot glaives, you could fire something that once it hits a target would whip a chain around, it could be taser rounds, there could be mortars, heat seakers, automated drones, the possibilities are quite simply Endless.
  14. starecrow

Oh, this thread again.

Don't expect an answer or anything.

Anyways, here's some ideas on how to differentiate it from the NS11A:

- No long reload. Just make it the same as the short reload.
    - extend min dmg range by 20m. Helps against NW, Heavy Shields.

some more "wild" ideas:
    - small Lasher effect. Add 10 explosive dmg with a radius of 30cm or so.
    - cut the range at which you show up on the minimap by half (20m/40m with a comp)
    - a kind of charge/spin-up - first 3 bullets fire at 625 rpm, next 3 at 652, and from then on at 680 rpm.
  15. LIKE A BOSS!

Charge-up weapons don't really do good in 95% of a current battle situations that happen in PS2. Thats not really a perk its more of a restraint.
  16. Unclematos7

>Corvus
    >Inferior to the Reaper

Can't say much about the SABR. I only trialed it once and the default ironsight is the worst kind of ironsight in the game so I couldn't do much with it.

CME: Advanced forward grip, faster reload(not by much though), no bullet drop.

NS-11A: +5 rounds, .75 ADS movement, slightly better hipfire(but you should be putting a compensator on that thing anyway), SPA, slightly higher velocity(they both have top tier velocity though).
  17. Akeita

Don't you dare touch my reaper you ****

Edit : my apologize, haven't read all of it yet, I though you want to remove reaper.
    • Up x 1
  18. Ash87

It isn't a matter of usefulness, I'm sure I could produce a hundred TR who would decry lock-down modes. Doesn't negate that it IS unique.
    • Up x 1
  19. LIKE A BOSS!

Charge-up<Extra bullets. No Bullet drop is only usefull on 5 weapons out of the who VS arsenal. Extra bullets is never useless on any weapons.
  20. Unclematos7

How about a weapon that has an ESR like heat bar instead of ammo? This gun would have a smaller "magazine", but if you fire controlled bursts, you will be able to shoot virtually forever. It can also be charged up to armor piercing mode.