is the anti infantry mana turret OP?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ghost001985, Jun 5, 2014.

1. ghost001985

quick little video, the range in this video was 300 meters, thats max render range for PS2.

now i know that most people in this game dont use anti infantry mana turret with burst fire, or at this range.
  2. Goden

But your target has to be standing still for several shots. If they don't notice and move then that's their problem.
    • Up x 4
  3. Alarox

The only problem I have with the turret is the inexplicable invincibility the shield gives.

It should provide resistance. It shouldn't be unbreakable.
    • Up x 11
  4. Nepau

I would not say it is OP for the fact that even with burst fire, it is not easy to hit and kill people at that range. Add in the fact that you'll be out in the open and easy sniper/vehicle bait, I would call that balanced.
    • Up x 8
  5. JesNC

Phoenix bait.

edit: ...or a sniper round to the head, whichever you prefer.
    • Up x 3
  6. LT_Latency

Snipers can instant kill them.

At close range a Good RPG shot does the same
  7. DragonOps

Those stationary targets are great if you want to practice your rib-stabbing as an infiltrator.
  8. TraatAdmiral

Shooting at ranges like that doesn't really work outside the VR. Yes, you killed that guy, but look how long it took you to do it, and if you were having to try to land shots on a moving target, it would've taken three times as long. That's plenty of time for somebody to get out of your line of sight. Also, as someone who snipes a lot, what the above people have said is completely true. If you're in a turret, be it AI or AV, you have an *extremely* high chance of being the first person who gets nailed by the first sniper who shows up, and if you're trying to fight at that kind of range, someone with a BASR is vastly better at killing you than you are at killing them (if you're in a MANA turret this is actually true at any range. Snipers are the counter to turrets). Well-positioned MANA turrets covering a doorway or something are certainly a very effective defense, but I don't think they're OP by any means.

That said, I don't know why they're as freakishly accurate as they are. It makes sense, I suppose, since a mounted turret with pretty long barrels should be very stable and accurate, and I don't think it hurts anything, but it's kinda weird. Certainly not a problem, but if they knocked that down a bit I don't think many people would mind. It wouldn't make much of a difference at the ranges those turrets are generally useful.
    • Up x 2
  9. Tommyp2006

It used to be much worse before the shield changes. At least now I can usually headshot people off of them.
  10. Silvermyst

The current 5th longest "sniper" shot in recorded history was done with a M2 Browning machine gun, which is generally used on a tripod. It was from a whopping 2286 meters away, back in the Vietnam war.

I personally don't care whether or not a game is accurate to history, as I care more about game balance and making things interesting, but I just thought I'd point that out. :D
    • Up x 2
  11. Hibiki54

Mana turrets are fine as they are. If you don't like them, just shoot your Phoenix at them.

TR and VS do have a Phoenix missile, right? :eek:
    • Up x 1
  12. Iridar51

Normal dumbfires work good too, if a pleyer can lob the rocket into the turret gun itself in a hole in the center of the shields, or engineer's head. Either way engineer dies instantly.
  13. LibertyRevolution

AI turrets are OP in certain situations.
    Camping the jumppad at scarred mesa skydock.. my god.. such certs..
    Good luck sniping me before we gun you down on the jumppad.

Or have 4 of them in a biolab shield gen room pointing at the door next to the enemy teleporter room..
    Anything that enters that door dies immediately, and you are pretty invincible behind that shield, rockets don't even scratch them.

A few engineers with AI turrets will hold a choke just as well as half a dozen maxes, and they cost nothing.

Ok, so lets say you make it by the 4 maxes camping the door..

Lulz.
  14. Prudentia

There is no reason to ever use the gun of the AI MANA Turret... i can kill enemies more reliable with my suppressed, lasersight Soft point ammo NS7 PDW....
  15. Taemien

Until you need to reload. The best use of a mana turret is covering doorways to a point (after dropping ammo for MAXes and Heavies). And because the enemy is sure to come to the point in droves, really only heavies, maxes, and turrets have the sustained fire to deal with them.

SMG can kill 2-3 people at the most, if all shots land? What about 4, 5, and 6?

Now if you're just out running and gunning to get certs, then carry on. Not sure why you'd use an engie for that, but to each their own.
  16. ExquisitExamplE

Pretty much this. It's very annoying to unload a full lightning viper clip into an AI Mana-Turret and do absolutely no damage to the operator.
    • Up x 2
  17. Outreach

Says the guy with the vanguard icons. HA
    • Up x 1
  18. hawken is better

19. Prudentia

just that the Mana Turret doesn't really have the heat capacity to kill multiple enemies, considering that it also has low damage and a very limited aim angle the advantage of being able to move freely behind deployable cover with a fast reload is simply better. a Lockdown MAX is better than an AI Turret.
  20. kadney

Outdoors: Eat rockets/ sniper bullets/ grenades/ tank shells/ rocketpods/ liberator shells
    Indoors: Eat rockets / sniper bullets / grenades / get flanked and shot (or stabbed)

Did I forget something? :D
    • Up x 1