is SOE doing this on purpose

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by ArcKnight, May 4, 2013.

1. Dramma Lamma

Sorry man that's incorrect.

The commissioner (or underboss) MUST BE A HEADSHOT in order to be an instant kill if the target has max nanoweave.
    (which is EXTREMELY common on my server at least, especially HA players also lots of medics have it)

Please check simple facts before you claim otherwise.
    • Up x 2
  2. Hoki

Yeah I know that. So what? Just pointing out a fact.

If you get the drop on someone as an inf there are a lot of things that have this capability of instantly killing when combined with a knife swipe.

Getting the drop on someone with a low TTK at shotgun ranges is different than freaking knifing them, so this is a silly thread.
  3. Dramma Lamma

Actually you just circumvented the point I'm trying to make.

That some of the suggested shotgun pistol values make it hands down more effective at knifing someone than the knife itself could ever hope to.
    No other pistol does that, and that is the point.

Like I said before If I had the shotty pistol at some of those values why would I ever bother to take the risk for a knife kill? When 2 pistol shots are faster, more reliable, and more deadly to nano weave.

It's not about what pistol is the best at doing a knife and pistol combo kill, and even if it were the shotgun pistol is still going to take the cake because with these suggested values it would not require the head-shot where every other pistol does for high rank nano.

Yes like you said it's all theory but if a pistol can preform better as assassinate on its own than the knife itself can, there is a balance problem.
  4. Hoki

It would still require a shotgun pistol + knife in order to get an instant kill.
    The fact that it can potentially do more damage than a knife at close range is irrelevant.

The OPs worry was that an actual shotgun on an inf with cloak is a dangerous combo at shotgun distances, not knife distances.
  5. Tyzh

Everyone is seriously overstating the effectiveness they are going to give these pistols. The charge pistol will be bad, the shotgun pistol will be a novelty item, and the full auto pistol is going to be a repeater that doesn't make you keep clicking.
  6. Dramma Lamma

It takes out the aiming required to head-shot, thus meaning its every bit as effective (actually more deadly) but with less skill involved.
    You honestly don't see that as a problem?

It also renders the using the knife a massive risk, why risk it if the gun will do it anyways from a more safe position?

The damage values and rate of fire need a long hard look to not be broken in some way or another, there is really nothing more to say.
  7. Hoki

I think we're on different pages here.

Lots of things when combined with a knife will.. its not an instant kill because you're restraining during the approach, but not allow any retaliation.

If not used in conjunction with a knife it would take a minimum of two shots with this shotgun pistol... and yeah, thats a shotgun. If it took 3 shots it wouldn't be a shotgun.

All the pistols in this game are pretty low DPS and you can bet this one won't be any different. A low DPS pistol shotgun.
    If its a pump action with 6 shot pellets, hah, I'd take literally any other pistol.
  8. Skeith

far as i remember headshot with the NC shotgun pistol used to 1 shot anything,without the need of a melee attack in ps1

and they will make it so on ps2

i wont be surprised if we will end up that a pistol can 1shot kill and a 50 cal bolt action cant :\
  9. Tyzh

You're right. It wouldn't be a shot gun. It would be a shotgun PISTOL.
  10. Astraka

I get the idea, but why would you have a shotgun pistol do as much damage up close as something like the Commissioner, which can still achieve a three hit kill outside of shotgun range?
    • Up x 1
  11. giltwist

With an N as big as the population base of Planetside, 2% is a statistically significant difference.
  12. Messaiga

It is hard to balance a shotgun pistol because we have Revolvers already, which already have high damage (450 at the max). If we added a shotgun pistol for the NC, how do we make it comparable to Revolvers in CQC without making the damage more than that of a knife? I can only see 2 options which is basically a double barreled shotgun pistol that act very similar to semi auto shotguns, with 134 damage,6 pellets, but a lower ROF of 150 maybe? (I imagine the reload would be rather long, similar speeds as the Revolvers) Only other option is making something like a PA Shotgun Pistol that is unable to instantkill, has 4 shots per mag, 8 pellets (in between semi auto and pump), 112 damage per pellet, and a ROF of 100 (Like the first batch of pump action shotguns). Make the damage stay max damage until 8 meters, pass that it would drop to a minimum of 50 @ 20 meters. (Not sure how to make the reload speed balanced on this.) No matter what, if you are making a shotgun pistol, it is bound to be more effective than a knife unless the knife is an instant kill, just remember that.
  13. 1fiercedeity

Give it 7 pellets @ 70 damage = 490 damage if all pellets hit. High spread, only does max damage up to 6m. ROF between the Commissioner and the Underboss. 6 shots per magazine, reload speed similar to the Commissioner. Total ammo pool of 24, 6 + 18 in reserve.

This should be reasonably balanced. It would pretty much be a Close Quarters Commissioner.
  14. iller

What?? But I just bought the mini Shotgun-for-Infiltrator...
    [IMG]
    I have to buy another one now??
    • Up x 2
  15. DrTeeth

Here's my take on a shotgun pistol..

Firstly, it's gotta hit hard, harder than the Commissioner per shot or it'll be pointless. Secondly, it's gotta be able to theoretically kill two nanoweave users per magazine at least (this is pretty much standard). Thirdly, for balance it'll have to have a small magazine, low refire rate, and very short range.

So, what I'd like to see is a 4-barrel break-action shotgun in pistol form. Something like this but pistol-sized:

http://4.bp.************/-_7vfrlYLmNA/TtuBDCpKQfI/AAAAAAAAI_A/g4aZimvxlnQ/s400/FourBarrelShotgun.jpg

It will break-open to reload, which ejects the spent cartridges. Fresh cartridges are loaded individually and the action is closed to complete the reload. The reload would be of medium length, perhaps around the same as the Underboss.

Stats! Each cartridge shoots 6x100 damage pellets, so 600 damage per shot. Two shots (1200) will kill a Nanoweave level 5 player (1125) *if all pellets hit*. A non-Nanoweave player (1000) takes the same amount of time, but 2 pellets can miss. The pistol will have a low refire rate, 600-700ms, to balance out its stopping power. The firing animation could show the player re-cocking the hammer between each shot. This will give it a TTK / dps that is roughly the same as the Underboss / Commissioner.

So, it'll take roughly the same amount of time to kill as the revolvers, and have roughly the same killing power per magazine, but will have a very short range. The upside will be a high alpha-damage shot for finishing wounded players at close range, and a spread pattern which makes it easier to land hits with at close range. The pellet spread angle should be the same as the auto shotguns (4 degrees).
  16. NinjaTurtle

Hey as long as the new VS pistol isn't **** like the previous new VS weapons were.

If it has a charge mechanic like seems to be the thing for VS at the moment (unfortunately) it will be ok..... if it can be charged whilst cloaked, not fired obviously and providing the charge is roughly equal to the NC not hugely reduced like what the Vortex is.
  17. Hoki

No offense but you just described the ****tiest weapon I've ever heard of.
  18. Rigsta

It's on the roadmap sure but it might not even happen.

If it does happen there are so many variables. It could be awesome, it could be mediocre, it could suck.

Same with the VS charge pistol. If it allows me to have a Manticore and Underboss in one gun, it'll be awesome. If the charge time is too long and the damage per uncharged shot is terrible (like our charge-up AV weapons) it'll suck.

But judging from the job SOE did on the revolvers, all 3 pistols will probably be awesome.
  19. Hoki

The pistol shotgun should stick to the proven damage tables of semi-auto shotguns.
    134 / 8m / 60 / 18m
    6 pellets

The question is what should the rate of fire and spread be.
    Well give it the ****tiest of all the shotgun attributes.
    Spread of the nighthawk, RoF of the Barrage, reload of the Haymaker, ammo capacity of 4 per reload.
    And what do you got? Literally the ****tiest shotgun and arguably weapon ever.
    Though its a lot better than some of the things suggested in this thread.
  20. iller

...but...
    I'm already 1-shotting ppl with this Commisserator when they don't have a shield. Granted it's a headshot...
    But anything stronger than this, say 550dmg, will just 1-shot everyone but Nano Wearers when I HS them with it.

I've already gotten "Hackused" for this thing (which suggests I've been quietly reported several times as well). For a "shotgun pistol" that basically every NC could get (like we don't get enough hate as it is for our MAXes...) to not cause mass rage quits, it would need to have severaly lowered headshot damage which is the most illogical damn thing for a pistol to do. Pistols are MADE for CQC headshots. That's what Hollywood uses them for. Sometimes I turn mine sideways just to drive the point home to ppl I sneak up on.

We're supposed to be the Ranged Faction that hits hard but not often. A secondary shotgun lets us specialize for ALL RANGE MODE. What's next? A Lazer rail so we can HS with suppressed Bolt Driver while bunny hopping?