Is smoke launcher worth it?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by DeadAlive99, Apr 2, 2016.

1. DeadAlive99

I just now noticed it and tried it in VR. I assume it's bugged in VR, because in most places I tried it, it was just a tiny little puff of smoke, but I found one spot where it put out a big cloud that would be useful.

I never see smoke used in the game unless it's a Sundy, so my guess is that it's either bugged or not considered useful, but if it does put out the big cloud of smoke that I saw in VR, then that would definitely be valuable, imo.

I just don't want to drop 100 certs on it if it's bugged.
  2. Statboy

It is slightly bugged in that you have to shot it at the ground, if you hit stairs, walls, or another player it won't deploy smoke properly. Smoke is a one trick pony, it's very good at it's one trick but hurts you everywhere else. Use an NS/HV scope and smoke just inside a room then you can breach and clear, you'll have visibility with your scope and people that don't carry smoke probably won't. Now most people are smart enough to start randomly shooting at the doorway in that instance, but you should still average at least a 3:1 K:D if that is the only way you engage people with smoke. At least that's what I've found and I'm kinda crap.
  3. T.A.94

It is a bug inside the VR cause in the early days of PS2 there where players who trolled other players while they whanted to try something out.

In my opinion it is worth using it on the engineer primary weapon (carbine/battlerifle), but only if you use the NS-NightVision Scope. Also it is great if you are capable to use it in your squad effectivly that makes fighting or defending a point more easier.

Little Sidenode:
    -Many players acctually dont use the NS-NV scope ^^
    -If you are targeted and try to hide in smoke == not very effective
    better first fire smoke and then fight them, cause they first have to target you before firing effective :p
  4. DeadAlive99

Ok, thanks for the tips guys, I guess I"ll give it a whirl. In other games, I am very big on smoke. IMO, in games that have it, it is the number 1 most underused tactical tool. I can't speak for this game yet, but I have used it successfully countless times.

My main use for it is not to breach a room, but to foil the enemy's aim as I move from point A to B, and of course, some enemy's will choose not to fire blindly so you typically end up with less fire as well.
  5. ytman

Be aware of its limitations.
  6. DeadAlive99

Wow. Thanks for that video. I think I'll go to the bug report site and see what the status is. Even with that bug, it would still be useful for short range stuff.

I've run into another problem, though. I just discovered my Thanatos won't take the launcher, and according to the wiki, only rifles and the lone S type carbines for each faction can use it. :(

I just bought the Eidolon with a scope for when I'm doing longer range work, but I really want the smoke for short range tactical movement for myself and those around me. So, I'm either stuck with using it on the semi auto rifle, or buying another gun that I really don't want. And LA only has the one gun that can use it. /sigh

I think I'll still get it, but I may wait a bit.
  7. gamespyer0350

Use Eidolon and just get the frag launcher, the smoke is worthless Be cuz u can still be spotted by players or recon.
  8. PYROxSYCO

Yeeeeessssssss. *cough* Hehehehe it's fun. :D *cough*

Smoke 'em
  9. ArcKnight

its bugged and you should get infrared scope if your planning on using it
  10. NubCannon

On engineer, i havent found much of a use for smoke grenades. however for Light assult, i use it with a shotgun to clear points.
    On Medic, ive found it most useful, the T1S with the smoke launcher has saved many allies lives, pop some smoke throw a revive nade.