[Guide] Is Planetside 2 a competitive game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NyaR, May 24, 2014.

1. Udnknome

No I had it right the first time. Too many rules in it's current state. If everyone was forced to be engineer and use a NS-11, it would be exactly the same gameplay without the cheesy sci-fi HA shield/Medic Heals. Of course marketing that would be a much greater challenge.

It limits the ability to play smart favor of the ability to aim. :eek:
  2. Elkybam

farmfarmfarmfarmfarmfarmfarmfarmfarmfarmfarmfarmfarmfarm = PlanetSide 2

$$$$$$$$$$$$ = main intent of SOE

New content = more methods to farm! + $$$

Must I say more?
  3. NyaR

It isn't my fault Planetside 2 advertised itself as a competitive game and did not deliver. I'm pointing to what SOE did/did not do.
  4. FigM

The most competitive part of this game is ESF vs ESF combat, everything else pales in comparison

pre nerf Harasser vs Harasser was also getting close to ESF level. Now that gameplay is destroyed

Everything else is mostly a mindless grind
  5. Posse

Wow, so much misinformation, I assume you didn't play CommClash right?
  6. NyaR

No, there aren't enough world-wide players to form a 17th team.
  7. Exalted Exile

Ya but this is literally impossible to achieve and it is no one persons fault. take me all I can do to enjoy this game is watch youtube videos and trawl the forums. In order for me to internet with a strong enough connection to the nearest American sever (being northern Canadian and all) I would literally have to travel a couple hours to a larger city.
  8. Posse

Funny, because when ZAPS stepped down from CommClash, there was more than one willing to take its place ;)
  9. NyaR

They were willing to take the place, but could they actually field 24 players who were interested in competition and would show up on time?
  10. Kunavi

This might be a bit irrelevant but I have to ask... If over 100 ping is considered bad, how come I do fine? As in not World-Class Top 3 MLG Pro but definitely holding my own, even against quite capable(From what I hear) competition who claim at least double my KD, more accuracy and half my ping. It certainly doesn't feel like I'm basing on ADADA negation due to my connection being slow(If it is, I don't know what to say, it feels normal)... I see people dodging and evading fine. I just had to improve my aim and anticipation to counter that, which I had neglected for more than half my total Hrs in PS2.

I'm not bragging, I am trying to make a point here about this ping thing; Mine ranges from 80 to 130 depending, I've seen it go to 180 for a bit too but that's rare... For the record, I don't get more than 30 or 40 FPS where PS2 shines for me, while in small engagements it's usually well above 60 or 80(Yeah I know right? LEL PS2) and at WG it's 200+.

Have I been hit by a whole mag dumped on me in under 2"? Yes. Have I seen people dodging like mad? Yes. Do I get magical bullets behind cover? For sure. Have I ever fired said magical bullets? Probably once or twice, though I don't remember it if it happened and I think I would remember that. ADADA for me feels like it has no effect in more than half the engagements I use it in.
    What all that means according to what has been said here, going by what pressing TAB shows me as my ping?
    A) Most of my opponents have some extreme ping,
    B) I can't ADADA,
    C) By what I'm reading here my ping is lying and I have ~50.
    There's also D)... That some information and opinions here are exaggerated or mistaken.
    2 of those are definitely not the case while B could be a possibility but it's unlikely- I'll just say I'm certain I do know how to ADADA and not just in PS2. So I'm going for D and sticking with it.

I also get too much of "EHRMAGERD WISH I HAD UR CONNEXUN" when I kill others, and a lot of "15 PING MASTERRACE!" when I question persons who kill me... I'm sure I've annoyed a lot of people asking them "How did you do that?" when I already knew, I was just sort of polling and the results are what I just typed. According to all this, when I kill it's because ALL MY TARGETS LAG and when they kill others it's because THEY ALL LAG.

Doesn't make any sense to me. I deduced this is a sort of thing people have to think to feel better in certain situations, like when they lose.

In BF, I had a ping of down to 46, from 180~ with my initial ISP(Going by the IN-GAME INDICATION, I can't stress that enough) and it made no practical difference except in some extreme Sniper situations(Target moving and me firing from the edge of Map, elevation, drop, ETC). Note that I'm not saying I was a BF God, but with the same performance and skills I did not do that much better with less than half my old ping.

I now have an even better ISP, getting 100~ ping(Now talking about PS2 not BF, not sure what I got there currently) and I feel I'm neither winning due to lag, nor getting slaughtered by it. I'm just looping what I said earlier now, so I'll stop trying to give examples or justify my opinions from all my PS2 career so to speak. Just consider that some here may be a bit off in their estimations, scaring others or making them feel incompetent for the wrong reasons... Just like some people here in the Forums enjoy telling others that it's their rig's fault that PS2 runs like crap... The same rigs that can run BF4, Watch-Dogs, ETC ETC like nothing.

:p
  11. Kunavi

One more thing, in Ultima I was among the most known PVPers on my Server, never used a SpeedHack and never scripted. If you know UO and know about PVPing in it, you know this is sort of a difficult thing to achieve especially post AOS. It was all about items, twitch, macro(We're talking piano levels on the KB if you were legit, it's why people did use scripts) and very fast thinking. I faced people who claimed they had less than 20 ping while mine was over 100 back then.

Make what you will of this.
  12. FigM

Kunavi, you do well with bad ping because the game is designed specifically for players with bad ping. Client-side hit detection being the major factor here.

However, such game design is fundamentally flawed and cannot be truly competitive. Any serious competitive game needs to be synchronized on server side
    • Up x 1
  13. NyaR

Because much the netcode is handled clientside.
  14. Posse

Yes.

Watch Dogs is the worst example you could think of, it has frame drops all the time, even with mid-high and high end GPUs.