Is my system being bottlenecked?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Magma52, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Magma52

FPS in game is dipping so often lately. It stutters and hangs all the time, even in medium sized battles. All settings on low. 1080p

My system:
    i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz
    GTX 980
    8GB RAM

My CPU usage is pretty high while playing. It can go between 60% and 95%. GPU is barely budging past 50%. So is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU? Googling this question turns up a resounding no, but this still doesn't seem right. I have everything on low! Surely I should get constant 60FPS? Temperatures are fine. CPU is being liquid cooled and stays below 55 C.

Any advice much appreciated.
  2. Damz49

Hey ORBS ! :)

No, the problem comes from the LMG update I have exactly the same problem with my C2D.

Dont try any reinstall (I did it) or anything else the problem is on the game side, not ours.

1 week without hotfix, it should be released soon.

The thing i'd really like to know is what do we have in common to have this issue...

Open a support ticket, add you dxdiag and informations about your problem and wait.

By my side, noticed stutters happens ONLY when i'm CPU limited.

For example I got constant 55fps on an outpost with GPU limited, soon as I press the key to take a screenshot it turns to CPU limit and goes down to 15-25fps for 5s then it's back to GPu and 50fps.
  3. Benton582

Sir, your CPU is at the end of its service life. And is about 4 years old, I kinda think a bottleneck is there by now.
  4. Pfundi

What about no?
    When the CPU is damaged youre right of course
  5. henrickbr

The problem is in the game after update. Various problems arose, low fps, stuttering and freezing.
  6. Pfundi

Do not forget the lag... The horrible horrible lag :eek:
  7. user101

Turn the DoS off in the router ... change the router from IPv4 to IPv6 I think you will see a big difference. This may help.
    When DBGC was messing with the server I changed to IPv6 made all the difference in the world for me.
  8. [K29C] Gwennec

It is possible that this could be down to the CPU. How long have you had it? Planetside is very heavy on processing power so its known for bottlenecking a lot of them.

Your GPU wouldn't be causing this problem so long as its cooled sufficiently. I play this on a GTX 980 with a i7-5820K and it never drops below 60 and that's on maximum settings.
  9. BitsAndBytes

First of all - forget half the posts, a lot of ppl have no clue wtf they are talking about.
    Your hardware seems OK (seems, depends how you are running it).

Several things you need to check:

1) Antivirus - is it checking all the files that PS2 is accessing on the HDD ? Try turning it off and play
    2) Memory bottleneck - what speed is your memory running at?
    PS2.exe is constantly swapping gfx chunks between CPU/GPU and RAM, so either one could be bottlenecked. It´s definitely not your GPU, since it top of the line hardware and I am guessing not your CPU, since it´s not 100% utilized.
    So check your RAM speed with CPU-z (google and download if you don´t know).
    You should be running at least 2400Mhz (preferably) DRAM Frequency.

Try that first...