IR/NV scope (for guns, not vehicles)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by gunshooter, Dec 22, 2012.

1. gunshooter

I originally discounted this scope for god knows what reason. I know a lot of people use it at least situationally, but I also know a lot of people who don't.

Since I started using the IR/NV scope a few days ago, my performance has improved drastically. I never really noticed, but I used to miss a ton due to not having a clear view of my target. Player models in this game can be obscured by tons of things; lighting, shadows, contrast, smoke, explosions. With the IR/NV scope none of this matters anymore. I thought back to all those times I fought someone say on the first floor of the Amp Station towers in the shadows, and couldn't track them properly because of the shadows+railing blocking half of their body. All those times it took me a second longer to aim at a Vanu in a corner, etc. These things aren't an issue with this scope. It's like using Red/Blue skins in CS.

Lots of people cite the range as a downside, and indeed you probably shouldn't use this scope on long range weapons except situationally. But for all around-guns (Like the Carv, Orion etc) and CQC guns (GD-7F, Serpent, MSW-R, etc) there's really no downside to this scope. The range at which people fade out is a range where you're not going to be killing anyone realistically anyway with these weapons unless they're afk, and you'd be better off trying to get closer before opening fire anyway. You even get a better FOV since it's a full screen scope, no part of the sight will be blocking your view like with every other sight (except the vanu reflex sights)

However on Esamir during the day if you're at a base with sunlight, enemies can sometimes show up as white on white, so you probably want to swap it out then. But everywhere else it's great.

If you haven't already, give it a try. Since I started using the scope I suddenly feel like i'm aimbotting because i'm able to acquire targets faster and track them without any worries. Now when I miss, it's because I actually missed rather than because I couldn't see my enemy.
  2. Rainfey

The only problem i have with the IRNV scope is the black crosshair - makes it difficult to aim when everything is black/white.
  3. gunshooter

yeah this can be annoying at times if your opponent is against the sky. However I think most people can use the parts of the reticle they can see as a guide to quickly know where to aim. I'm still able to quickly acquire my target even in that situation most of the time.
  4. Jestunhi

IRNV is situational, but it's very good in those situations.

The range becomes a non-issue when you look at building clearing, most of Biolab combat and stuff inside techplants and other buildings are perfect for IRNV.

I have one on my HA but I play Medic more often these days... I need to get one for my medic ASAP.