Invulnerability fallout and bug/glitch exploit policy

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Mar 21, 2014.

1. equinub

So SoE is happy to throw punishment out for players.

But doesn't accept responsibility for the current issues?

That's basically what you are saying, not our fault we a forced serious bug / exploit on the player base, it's yours.

Imho a fresh face at the helm of ps2 is needed.

Any other game designer would've been sacked few months after beta.

I'm calling for Higby to step aside from ps2 for a few months.
  2. Fenrisk

Any of you defending the use of game breaking exploits are likely the type of players who would use that exploit and abuse it into the ground. Then you would Blame SOE for your own actions despite the fact the vast majority of gamers know that abusing exploits in ANY game gets you a lifetime ban in most MMO's.

There have been exploits in other games were people could get free in game cash to use in the free2play store. People abusing it got banned and people who reported got rewarded with free in game cash for the store. That's exactly how it should be handled. If you don't like it quit the online gaming scene and find a new hobby as you won't be happy in any game.

People exploiting this bug intentionally ruin planetside 2 for the majority of players (thousands of them) and lifetime bans are more then justified. One definition of abusing a exploit is using a bug for a unintended advantage. Good luck not getting banned in any game for that. It does not matter that the exploit exists or was created by the game developer as exploits always exist in games and its very rare not to end up losing your account for abusing any of the serious ones.
    • Up x 3
  3. Donaldson Jones

Exploits are exploits, you can log out and log back in to clear them most of the time. Bans come when people knowingly and willingly use them for personal gain.

SOE did the right thing hopefully people who were unaware just got warned and did the right thing.
    • Up x 1
  4. Brewery

I love how people are against the lifetime ban.

Honestly a ban isn't enough, I feel like your entire SOE account should be banned combined with steam and origins accounts. Maybe also remove a few fingers off your mouse hand.
    • Up x 1
  5. AssaultPig

It doesn't have to be either the developers or the players who are at fault.

It's obviously SOE's fault that this patch went live in the state it was in, but players still make a choice to exploit the bug or not. The type that does should be gone; it's not worth the hassle of interacting with people like that on any basis.
  6. equinub

Here are the facts.

1. Bug was forced onto the player base.
    2. Without there knowledge and with no way of confirming there client is bugged.
    3. No timely ingame client warning or GM assistance / acknowledgement was given on how to fix the bug (relogin).
    4. Players were just playing the game normally. Meeting the major goal of the game in killing others.
    5. This shifting of responsibility and attempt at deflection for the continuing bugs / servers plaguing ps2 is a disturbing trend.

Considering this is a passive bug forced onto the innocent player base. The majority whom would be unaware it effects there characters play session.

Lifetime bans are not appropriate, they're arbitrary punishment for previously in good standing customers.

This issue should've been better dealt with by active GM's.

Bot /report detection and /GM notification and forcing confirmed clients of those plagued by invulnerability bug to relogin.

Players generally don't keep track of how many kills they done per session ingame, they just play.

Those players are now being severely punished for simply playing the game and killing others.

And don't think i'm not for a certain level of punishment. I just want to see fairness applied and imho lifetime bans are way out of line, especially once taking into consideration the basic facts of this bug.
    • Up x 2
  7. NC_agent00kevin

or

Or

OR

you could think before you post in the first place
  8. Planetdoge

I doubt they handed out that many lifetime bans.
  9. Fenrisk

Facts my butt.

1. The bug wasn't forced onto the player base. It was a unforeseen bug that the vast majority of players didn't encounter on their characters and the ones that did would know about within a few seconds of being shot at. The average player would report it within a few mins and not try to gain fron it. The average gamer tends to be at least that inteligent and would also try relogging. Encountering the bug isn't the same as EXPLOITING it and ONLY exploiters were banned.

2. You can tell within a few seconds of combat that you are bugged and not taking damage unless your playing this game blindfolded or with the awareness of a vegetable. The bug was also listed in the patch notes in the launcher.

3.There is a warning in all online games that EXPLOITING a bug leads to the banning of your account and that you should report any bugs you encounter. Relogging is the most common way of fixing bugged characters or a bugged client. After that most players would use their brains and contact support instead of EXPLOITING their invincibility and breaking one of the many rules in online games that will almost certainly get you perma-banned.

4. Playing the game normally is exploiting invincibility? really LOL. Next you will be telling me that using hacks is fine because the devs haven't prevented all of them. Playing the game normally isn't exploiting game breaking bugs and if you think that's normal for you, you might want to go find a new hobby before you end up banned from various games.

5. This shifting of responsibility and attempt at deflection by the EXPLOITERS is a disturbing trend. They knew exactly what they were doing, they just hoped SOE would let them get away with it unlike other games company's who would have had a GM ban them on the spot. They gambled and lost. Good bloody riddence.
    • Up x 7
  10. NovaAustralis

o_O
  11. Coffee Hound

Thanks you, SOE! I fully support lifetime bans for everyone that didn't immediately log out as soon as they realized they were invulnerable.
    • Up x 1
  12. RyanGUK

What was there to think about exactly? I asked why the bans were so harsh and gave my own opinion on them. If I knew the answer to that I wouldn't have posted.

I'm glad that the users of Forumside were kind enough to enlighten me as to why the bans were justified.

I'm not so glad that I'm being flamed for questioning something I didn't know much about (the seriousness of offences and such)... Kind of the idea of a question though, isn't it?

Also let it be said that I'm not classed as somebody who is against lifetime bans, I was simply questioning why they were used here. Sorry if that offends anybody or makes me an advocate for the removal of lifetime bans, but you can just go suck a pear.
  13. Krayus_Korianis

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  14. Latrodectus

I would say that any one who abused the bug for more than ~30 minutes should definitely get a permaban, especially people who were doing things like flying around in an ESF and shooting down enemy aircraft.
  15. FlR3

I agree because anybody who has played any game knows if and when they are not taking damage but being hit many times. It only takes seconds to realize that they are bugged. Everybody knows that a battle rank of say 20 or above would know right off the bat. If they were BR20 to BR100 and did this then yes Perm ban their whole account and wipe it. The people who try and protect the exploit abusers are no different than the people who try and protect their cheating, aimbotting, script kiddies friends or themselves. Perm ban them like Coffee Hound said. Good post Fenrisk
    • Up x 2
  16. libbmaster

They put everything on PTS. That's not the issue.

The issue is that no one uses the PTS, so they can't test anything!
    • Up x 1
  17. DeadlyPeanutt

agreed on that. i support SOE 100% on this issue.

now, if someone could ban all those snipers please? just a thought...
    • Up x 1
  18. Devrailis

SOE is taking the right stance.

Ban people who are intentionally exploiting.

Ignore the people who are whining that bug exploits should not be worth a ban.

To the fellows who think it is perfectly fine to exploit/take advantage of bugs/glitches/etc...

1) Read the TOS.

2) Read the TOS.

3) If you are having trouble with steps 1 and 2, I recommend remedial English.

4) Understand that your opinion is worth this much:
    • Up x 3
  19. Tasp

This is the correct counter to any argument about "why do we have a test server if not to test stuff" People who use this argument have likely never been on the test server and don't realize it has at most 50-100 players at any given time.
    • Up x 1
  20. libbmaster

50-100 players spread around FOUR continents, at the best of times.

Worst? Like, 12.

I loved it when they were doing OFMG though. There was always a fight at the crown. It was great, because it was basically an upgraded VR room with targets that moved. Tested a lot of builds on all sides during that fun...

That's the sad thing really. If you could consistently find a fight on the test server not only would the game be better but I think many people (myself included) would play better, have better loadouts and would be more informed about how things look from the other side's point of view in balance terms.

Also, five smed bucks says the test server is easier to log into for European players than their own servers.