Instant action hotdrops need some love.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SgtScum, Dec 12, 2012.

1. SgtScum

Can't count the times I use the instant action button to get in on a fight with no friendly spawns and it almost unerringly dumps me right into the middle of the enemy and I die before I can take two steps.

Can we get a bit of a logic revamp on where it drops you?

This is especially important as all three first time insertions when you first start a character did exactly that to me.

You go though the speech and get all excited and then start dropping exicement levels getting higher and higher then boom you land in a patch of the enemy and die horribly as your very first impression of the game.

Really needs some additional tweaking for this mechanic.

Maybe tweak it to land you as close to a friendly mass of players as possible instead of the dice roll we seem to get now.
  2. Phyr

Most hotdrops are on dead bases or zergs.
  3. SgtScum

Then I must have terribad luck as nearly every hotdrop I have done put me in a mass of enemy.

Some were to dead bases but the vast majority were not.

And I'm not disputing which area of the overall map it appears be it dead base or zerg but once you pick a territory to drop then at least try to make the drop sensible and not a dice roll.
  4. Phyr

You can steer the drop to some degree. If it's not your base drop as far from it as possible.
  5. SgtScum

Nothing renders until you land and 'spawn' so thats not really any help.
  6. Phyr

Logically it's better then dropping in the middle of a base that isn't yours.
  7. SgtScum

Logically an orbital insertion pod should be able to home in on friendly iff and not drop you randomly into a zerg.

Quit making excuses for poorly implimented mechanics. ;)
  8. Phyr

So your complaint is "instant action" is too instant for you.
  9. SgtScum

Only in the fact that 9 out of 10 times its 'instant death' if it drops you anywhere with more than a few hostile troops.

I'm actually starting to think they screwed up the code logic by having it do that instead of dropping you by friendlies. :p

But I suppose its to be expected of a game that was rushed to launch and is still for all intents and purposes in beta.
  10. Phyr

The only people who should complain about hotdrops are BR1 LA's, so we can laugh at them. Everyone else has the choice to get there on their own.
  11. SgtScum

Thanks for sharing.

Now how about some actual discussion on the topic instead of sniping at me for forum points due to that other thread? ;)
  12. Phyr

This has nothing to do with that other thread, I don't think there's anything to really complain about on this.
  13. TheScapegoat

Very true, the map provides more then enough info to make a determination if a drop warranted. You can see surrounding ownership, estimated force size, the status of the cap. What you cannot see is friendly information, needed IMHO.

I find Instant Action occasionally useful in outfit play. Spawn camped by tanks? Amazing what a coordinated drop of 20+ heavies can do, get a spawn beacon down and you can do it twice in short order.
  14. SgtScum

I'm not complaining. I'm pointing out something which needs a bit of love if only for new players getting dropped for the first time into instant death.

But as it effects all players who try to use the mechanic should not this mechanic work correctly to reinforce your own side instead of feeding you to the cert grinder for the enemy?
  15. Remeus

The drop pods can home in on friendly units if they deploy beacons for you to drop to. Squad up. Hell you can even drop to leader. Better still you can press insert and spawn at the spawn point closest your squad leader without using the hot drop up if he is close enough to s spawn.
  16. Phyr

If anything, give us more info on the map about where people are, which will help no matter how/where you spawn.
  17. SgtScum

Well glad it works on that level but I'm a lonewolf who likes his lonewolf play.

All I am saying is that if you decide to avail yourself of the mechanic it should at least try to land as close to friendly troops as possible and not serve you up as a cert Hors d'œuvre to the enemy most of the time.
  18. MasterCheef

Ive rarely had that happen to me, but ive killed alot of disoriented drop podders- so i know some must have terrible luck
  19. SgtScum

Thats mostly due to the 'spawn lag' after you actually load up the enviroment.

The defenders know exactly where you are due to the drop pods descent but it takes the dropper at least a few seconds to orient himself and thats typically waaaay longer than needed to kill him off.
  20. MasterCheef

The best advice i can give is to just run for cover to catch your bearing before trying to engage anyone. That and ALWAYS aim for a structure high above ground. The worst that can happen is that you'll get to snipe a few people before having to jump to your death.