Infiltrator versatility

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by oTec, Mar 9, 2015.

1. yeHHH1g

A directive rifle means nothing, if you kill two and they don't repeek there are plenty of other targets to shoot in the area before you return your attention to the other 4 that are just hiding behind a hill. You've already done your job in relieving pressure on your team

Half your team is bad then... at no time have any of my teammates in this game done that. You chose another route or zig zag adada to where you want to go.

They can't possibly be efficient if it took them 6 minutes to flank, that is absurd. Your job is to provide information via callouts from what you see and whats on your motion spotter. It is their job to react to the calls. If I call out 3 flanking you from the right, it is not my job to kill them all, it is my teams responsibility to react accordingly to that call. Sometimes I do manage to kill them all, which is great but that's a bonus. If someone tells me watch out behind you, I don't expect that guy to kill him, he's clearly telling me because there's a chance they get through to me. It's my job to react and extend the fight until I get help or to just win the fight myself. Theoretically, if they were the dumbest LAs alive and took 6 minutes to fly around you should be scanning and dealing with all the other targets in the area. A 6 minute case of tunnel vision on 3 LAs is not efficient at all.

If a squad leader relies on a bolter to take out a tank, you need to find another squad. That should never be your job, clearly your "good squad" has no idea how to utilize infils. I've said the obvious already, it is not an infil's job to take out armor, literally every other class in the game has AV capabilites except for a cloaker.

No, it should be about filling a role in the most efficient and effective way. KPM is a measure of efficiency which is a big contributor to effectiveness.You would never wait 5 minutes for LAs to peek a corner, thats 5 minutes wasted where you did literally nothing aka ineffective.

I wouldn't play the way I do if I didn't think I am being the most effective. The playstyle you describe could only be deemed effective if you were 40 years old with early onset arthritis. That playstyle is so slow that its ineffective

It seems like whatever squad you normally run with has some very bad ways of dealing with common situations. I'm sure if saw some of you in-game footage with comms I could pinpoint in 30 seconds what is wrong with your squads decisions and how you could be more efficient in your playstyle
  2. MisterSlim

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree ^.^. Although we might have different views on playstyle and effectiveness, I think it's nice to see a little diversity in the community. Can't have everyone playing the same way, that'd make for a boring game. Keep doing what you do!

Take care, and Stay Fr0sty ^.^
    • Up x 1
  3. oTec

Wel, I got m77-b and it's a good rifle but I have now become the opposite of what I said. I spend 60% of my time running across mountains next to bases and sniping/spotting from there ( ~60-100m from the cappoints). The other half just involves chasing down people who are close to me and/or flanking my teammates. Until I get the short range variant of the 99sv I guess I'm stuck to longer ranges since the 6x scope makes it hard in closer range. Also, I use a lot of recon darts, but is there a way to get more then 2?
  4. Souleater

In the loadout screen you can upgrade you Recon Darts. It will improve the number, coverage and scan rate.

You might want to look at getting the TSAR-42. It is the short range TR bolt action. Scopes go up to x4.
  5. yeHHH1g

What soul said. The tsar is really cheap at 250 certs. I would say hands down the best gun in the game at that cert value
  6. oTec

I already own the TSAR-42 due to the starter quiz. Although I prefer to use auto snipers in close range. It's just sad that the KSR-35 is so expensive. The M77-B is a nice sniper rifle at the price but doesn't encourage much teamplay besides spotting and overwatch sniping0
  7. Souleater

Fair enough.

Have you got or trialled the SOAS-20? Automatic scout rifle for TR and another good squad support weapon.
    • Up x 1
  8. oTec

Will try tonight. Looks cheaper then the KSR-35.
  9. Mustarde

The M77B is a solid choice.

The key to being a good infiltrator is having a variety of loadouts that you can bring to a fight. The M77B will fill the role of med-long range sniping. While there has been a bit of a debate here regarding the validity or usefulness of long range sniping, I would argue that having that capability is important. Some of my best farms have been with a RAMS.50 on a cliff behind a megazerg, or on top of a biolab, killing until I run out of ammo and need to redeploy.

The 99SV is actually one of the more difficult weapons to use well in this game oTec. It requires multiple shots to kill, has scope sway, and rather significant recoil. I'm glad you are having fun with it, but I would say it is one of the less new-player friendly infil weapons in the game. I would also steer you away from the KSR-35 because it has a pretty significant recoil and moving COF that make them very frustrating against good players who can aim and kill you with an LMG at 80m while you are fumbling to land a second hit on them.

Consider the HSR-1/Vandal or SOAS-20 to fill your medium range combat needs. The SOAS-20 is a bit more forgiving but if you like semi-automatic weapons, the HSR-1 or Vandal might do the trick. They are semi-auto scout rifles that allow for more mobility and accuracy than the 99SV/KSR-35 at the cost of velocity and bullet damage. But they all are a 2hit kill to the head.

Lastly, every infiltrator needs a CQC option. SMG's naturally. Which one you pick is a combination of skill and taste. For players with good aim, the Armistice a natural TR choice. Smaller mag, but very high ROF and short TTK. The hailstorm is more forgiving with a large magazine at the cost of a bit longer TTK. The NS SMG's (NS-7 and MKV) I consider to be higher skill weapons - they kill most softies just fine but when you go up against a shielded HA you will need good accuracy to win.

The TSAR-42 is an entirely different beast. A bolt action sniper rifle that requires close to medium range, means you really need to be a good shot to use it. Even skilled players will need some time to practice and learn how to use it well. Once you do, it is, as Yeahhhhhh1g said, one of the best weapons in the game. But the skill ceiling is high and if you miss your shots, it will cost you your life. I don't point new players towards the CQC BASR style of infil until they are ready.

I recently made a montage featuring a lot of scout rifles. I'll link it below. The nyx is the VS equivalent of the HSR-1. The Artemis is the VS version of the SOAS-20. Consider checking them out. If you browse my channel you'll find my vids specifically on the Vandal, KSR-35 and HSR-1 if you are interested.

Good luck man

ps. I agree with just about everything Yeaahhhh1g says except for long range sniping. It's all about battlefield context, and sometimes long range sniping is perfect for the fight you are in. Oftentimes, you can do more at closer ranges.
    • Up x 3
  10. oTec

I'll probaly try them all out first. Might get a sight for the TSAR-42 and look into bolt action CQC, at only 30certs it is worth a try. Mainly using my M77-B now, not my 99SV anymore. Might get an 8x sight to help a bit with the range but atm it is preforming very well. Just the lower muzzle velocity means i need to first take a shot to get my aim straight over the distance.
  11. oTec

I have tried out the soas-20 and the KSR-35. Did not like to soas-20 much, feels like a bullet hose to me and only works when people are out in the open. With the KSR-35 i did alot better (got a medal on it already <.<), but it really needs a sight for me to use it to its full potential. Did not try out the HSR-1 /Vandal yet. Will have to wait or try them in VR, but that doesn't really scale well to reality.

Thanks for all the feedback though
  12. oTec