Infiltrator versatility

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by oTec, Mar 9, 2015.

1. oTec

So i started playing the infiltrator today, really liking it. I have been rolling with the default weapon for now and it is pretty good for all ranges. But it doesn't have a lower scope then 6x, wich for me is alright for medium-long but in CQC it gets annoying sometimes when the enemy is in your face. I started looking at the other rifles but don't really have an idea about what to get. Also tried some out in the VR room.

I like the default rifle since i'm not the kind of infil who can sit on a stone sniping 24/7, i have an urge to move after a while and get in a bit closer, supporting my teammates. But i'm currently doubting to save up for a real scout rifle with a lower scope or just going for a bolt action - 1hit headshot kill rifle like the TSAR/M77-B. (Already own the TSAR due trough the starter quiz).
    • Up x 1
  2. yeHHH1g

The TSAR/SAS-R/Ghost are the best snipers hands down, they 1 shot kill out to 200m. If you are sniping past 200m you dun goofed. The trick with the default is just to noscope spam when they are that close, 5/10 times you will get the kill. For CQC use the 4x bolts or go with a smg (Armistice or NS-7)
    • Up x 2
  3. Skiptrace

I disagree on the SAS-R/TSAR/Ghost being best sniper. They are nice, but for raw power in sniping, you have to use the RAMS/Longshot/Parralax, Sniping past 200m is perfectly fine, and is really fun to make someone's head turn into a non-existant red shower at 500+ meters, makes me feel awesome inside that I can accurately shoot at that distance.
    • Up x 1
  4. yeHHH1g

you have a grand total of zero kills with a longshot... not sure if serious
  5. Skiptrace

Yes, I know i have 0 kills with the longshot because I dont have it. This is an account I made after my old Beta account got hacked, and it had it. So, yea...
  6. yeHHH1g

anybody can long range snipe stationary targets, there is zero skill required
  7. MajiinBuu

Anybody can score 2 bodyshots at close range :rolleyes:
  8. Rhumald

Can you hit the moving targets reliably and well enough to stop a group from compromising your team's position?
  9. yeHHH1g

I'm taking that as sarcasm, since I assume you're a semi-intelligent person

Yep, ask around
    • Up x 1
  10. Rhumald

Good, but that question was rhetorical, so I'll ask another, because the point has failed you;

Do long distance snipers, such as yourself, only ever shoot at stationary targets? hell, is the majority of your shots taken on targets, who you know will remain completely stationary for the remainder of the bullet's travel?
  11. yeHHH1g

I am not a long distance sniper... where did you get that idea. The majority of snipers in this game sit on a hill far away from the fight and shoot 95% stationary targets with the lucky moving snipe every now and then.

The majority of the shots I take are close-medium range.
  12. Skiptrace

That's a complete lie... most snipers in this game are almost forced to take shots on moving targets, because players move around so much.
    • Up x 1
  13. yeHHH1g

I should have said kill instead of shoot. It's not that they don't shoot at moving targets, they just don't kill them. Getting a clean headshot or two consecutive body shots on moving targets is something very few bolt babies can do. There's a reason why the average sniper has an awful kpm
  14. TerminalT6

Since you don't like sitting still, you could try the KSR-35. It's statistically identical to the default 99SV, but it can use 1x-4x scopes, for closer work. Plus, it costs only 500 certs.

On a side note, all sniper rifles with 1x-4x sights don't sway while aiming down sights.

Alternatively, you could grab an SMG, though they're all 1000 certs.

If you train yourself, you can play up-close and personal with anything the Infil has access to. I was running into bases with the M77-B for a while. The TSAR-42 is a good start, since you already have it, though it requires a fair amount of skill. That's not to say you can't practice with it until you're good.

The SOAS-20, the fully automatic scout rifle, isn't particularly satisfying. Not for me, at least. If you're more interested in super-accurate, semi-auto "plink plink dead" kind of play, then the HSR-1 and KSR-35 are my recommendations. HSR-1 is 750 certs, though.
    • Up x 1
  15. oTec

I'll go for the KSR-35 then, did not notice it was identical to the 99SV. Might get the M77-B first since it's pretty cheap and solid rifle and if the situation calls for long range sniping OHK headshots like bio lab landing pad action, i'll have something to switch to.

Thanks for the advice guys.
  16. MarkAntony

What do you consider short/medium/long ranges? And what is a good KPM?
  17. yeHHH1g

I'll use a tech plant to illustrate my personal definitions of ranges. Short range would be from outside balcony to balcony steps and anything closer than that, medium range is from balcony to the A point and big gun behind the point. Long range would be from the scu room to either of the generators.

A good overall kpm to shoot for is 1, every good player I know has above 1 kpm.
  18. MisterSlim

Define 'good' for me, sir. The way I see it, being able to reliably take out high-priority targets, moving at long range or otherwise, at the request of your team, makes you exponentially better than the average sniper. If my squad leader tells me "Take out that engi when he gets out to repair his Prowler", then I will let my teammates handle the 5 hostile LAs running in a straight line, and focus on that harder-to-hit Engi that is dancing around 250m away, even if it takes 4 minutes for that Engi to get out of his Prowler.

There is a difference between a sniper, and an accurate farmer that uses a sniper rifle. A sniper's role is to communicate, to watch, to provide support from further away, to watch the back of that friendly HA push and make sure that they aren't flanked without warning, and to lower the morale of the enemy. If I can pin 6 NC behind a rock and scare them into staying behind it, I have effectively neutralized half a squad, even if I didn't mlgnoscope them in CQC.

Measuring effectiveness on KPM is a bit ineffective. Nothing wrong with having a high KPM, but I'd rather know what you killed and how useful those kills were to your allies, rather than how many you killed. It's sort of like having a medic that never heals allies, yet has a sky-high KDR. Yes, they are good at killing, and overall they are good players, but they aren't supporting their allies the way their class should be, and thus, aren't all that fun to be around.

Don't get me wrong, sitting still on a hill 300m away sniping at stationary targets is useless. That isn't okay, and isn't helping your team. Being a useful overwatch involves lots of movement and observation, snapshots at mid-long range, and tons of situational awareness, so don't think I'm promoting long-range exclusivity. I am fully aware of how effective close range snipers can be (I love the Ghost and SAS-R. They are kickass rifles and I never go into a tech fight without one), and am fully accepting of a more battle/skirmisher close/mid range sniper playstyle. But for a frequent user of one playstyle to judge the other based solely on stats is super standoffish.

Just my two-cents

-Stay Fr0sty
  19. yeHHH1g

Not every 1 kpm player is a good player, but every good player has at least 1 kpm or above. I know a good player when I see one, and they usually have aggression, aim, and positioning. Basically most of the players that played in the Farmer's League.

But in general a player that has 1 kpm shows that they can find the correct fights to be at and aren't wasting time in areas where there are no enemies. Also maintaining 1 kpm also means you are getting those 6 kills behind that rock. Sending shots over peoples head works in real life, but not in planetmans. You need to kill consistently and often as a bolter to relieve pressure. I've managed to lock down spawn rooms bolting but that's because every person that stepped out is dead and people see that guy drop. If I just get shots close to people it literally accomplishes nothing. I challenge you to pull any footage of a single bolter that gets no kills pinning people behind cover, that doesn't happen.

An infil's job is never to take out armor, that's what heavies are for. Sure I snipe engies repping their vehicles all the time, but that is just opportunistic and should never be a priority. An infil's number one priority on a team is providing radar coverage, and you need to be with your team to do that. Engies are priorities only when they have an AI turret setup and when they are being a pocket engie. The only requests I should be getting are hacking out terminals, taking out other bolters, emping deployables or before breaches, and taking out engie turrets. Between those call outs I am shooting anything I see with priority being the person closest to me or shooting at me.

There is no such thing as a medic with a high k/d that isn't a good medic. Getting kills as a medic makes them an asset instead of a liability, nothing pisses me off more than getting rezzed when the room isn't cleared. That's just bad gameplay, as a medic your job is to mop up then rez, there is plenty of time before bodies become unrezable.
  20. MisterSlim

You do make some valid points. However, I will maintain that basing skill around kpm is unreliable. Keeping 6 people pinned behind a rock often only requires you to kill one or two of them, especially using a directive rifle. The morale-crippling is extremely prevalent among even veteran players. God only knows how many time's I've heard "There's a sniper in those hills to the west!!" and watched half my team keep their heads down until I countersniped them. If you drop a moving target in front of his pals, then those pals get the idea pretty quick that they are in a dangerous position every time they take a step outside the rock. Or, if I am in an overwatch position, then me being a big-daddy-slaughter-factory becomes completely moot. If I let one single person get jumped without saving them prior to them taking out some armor, or flanking a building, then I have failed as overwatch. However, if I trust my allies and let them do their jobs and take out their intended targets, I can focus on supporting them. If I notice a group of LAs trying to counterflank my squad, my squad will be immediately alerted as to the direction, number, and class of the threats. After making them aware, which takes a couple of seconds, I can proceed to eliminate them. Even if there were only 3 of them counterflanking, 3 efficient killers could absolutely wreck a squad if they are allowed to get the drop on them. If I eliminate all 3, effectively allowing my squad to finish their goal and saving them, but those targets don't present themselves until 6 minutes in, then I have a KPM of .5. However, I completed my goal, killed them all in an efficient way, and supported my squad all the way through the process. Does this mean I am still bad? I would have to say no, but I can't change minds :p.

When it comes to armor, I agree that it isn't normally top priority, but in the case of coordinated squad-based attacks, then the good of the squad comes first. If I am told "This prowler is absolutely wrecking us. We NEED to be able to push out of the spawn room. Go flank him, and we'll pelt him. When he retreats to repair, drop him.", then that is exactly what I will do. I agree that there are loads of other targets that are more important, but those aren't the targets I was told to eliminate. I will trust that the other sniper, who was told to eliminate them, will do so. A good sniper will make sure he is part of a good squad, and a good squad makes communication a top priority. A good squad understands and trusts the skill of its members in their respective fields.

I can respect a more in-the-fray style of play, I honestly have no problem with it. If you're strictly here to kill and do so as efficiently as possible, then yes, KPM is a good measure of that. However, being a supportive squad member, and understanding all that that entails, is another thing entirely. It isn't all about mass-killing in the most efficient way possible. It is about filling a broad role in a creative way. Measuring the latter with KPM just doesn't work.

Playing as a stealthy CQB assaulter rather than a mid to long-range supporter is nice, and players like that are needed to keep the community diverse. And again, I respect that playstyle. I love watching guys like you wreck face, and for what you do, you are correct in saying that KPM is a good measurement of skill. But for what others do, then it just doesn't apply.

Two more cents (making some money today ^.^)
    -Stay Fr0sty