Infiltrator update pushed back again

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Snowkea, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Jellyman_E

I suppose I'm the only one leading that "camp".
  2. Zerran

I never order this crap and yet I keep having people deliver it to me. I'm not paying for this you know! Damn kids...

:p
    • Up x 1
  3. Aimeryan

If they have changed the date because they realised just how **** their supposed update was, then great - I would like to see what the new ideas are though.

If there is not a list of what they are going to do for the September update soon (or it is just the same as before) then I doubt I'll be around for when it does come out (which probably wont be September at this rate anyway).
    • Up x 1
  4. IIXianderII

Hopefully this means they are implementing more changes than what they have talked about already. If not, it kind of sucks we have to wait even more for only a few new mechanics.
  5. CuteBeaver

Yeah I am kinda interested in seeing another variant of cloak. **cough** specter cloak.

That and or I hope Sony improves upon the Nano Armour cloaking we already have. Some people can use it well for pizza like you guys said but it would be nice if it had wider appeal for SMG users.

I can't say I am truly shocked this is taking longer then anticipated. Look at the implants and what happened there, balancing a stealth based class is going to be tricky. I am not nearly as annoyed as I was during the first pushback. The added cover in bases has really helped our class on Esamir and since the population is now torn between Indar and Esamir fight populations are spreading out a little more (at least on Waterson) so massive 200 people fights are not messing with our ability to move as much. One other thing I am enjoying more is the increased interest in LA's because of those walls. I much prefer the class population shift from HA to LA. We also had the low settings cloak "fixed" and we are not being killed as often as before.

I can happily sit tight for another month and train with the new NS-7 PDW. Especially if it gives them time for more polish or more content. That said if we are just waiting on the recon drone, maybe it would be best to release that aspect later.

Another issue which probably has us delayed is the new certification changes coming up. Apparently the menu's and whatnot are getting reworked a little. Things could be moved around and such.
  6. DrTeeth

Personally I'm glad, it'll give them time to come up with some decent ideas for a change, or just read up on what we've been suggesting for the past year! I mean really, look what they came up with for the "update":

1. Recon drone - useless. I know where the enemies are, I don't need nor want to use up slot in my load-out for this, plus flying around spotting is boring. It's a tool for someone who doesn't actually play Infiltrator. They switch to Inf, find the Sunderer, switch back to their "real" class and go kill it.

2. Deployable sensor. Yet another ability for someone who doesn't actually play Infiltrator. They switch to Inf, deploy the sensor, then switch back to their "real" class to guard the Sunderer or cap point or whatever. I'll never carry one in place of something useful like Medkits.

3. "Straight pull" bolt addon. Yawn. Way to homogenise the sniper rifles, reducing flavour and skill in exchange for what? Was the rechambering animation really the reason you missed follow-up shots, or do you just need more practice? Lame. Now all the rifles will be "semi auto" with refire time being the only difference.

4. Stalker cloak. *Could* be fun, but for a different game. There's honestly nothing for an Infiltrator to do in a base that they can't already get done with the standard cloak. You kill people, spam darts, and sit on a cap point. Being cloaked more often and only having a pistol is not going to help. Oh you want to hack turrets and all that? That's nice, pity this is zerg v zerg lattice land now. Not to mention every radar can follow your every move.
  7. CuteBeaver

Yeah i hope the radar tool thingy acts more like a mana turret. In the sense you can place one down freely but its destructible of course. It would be silly if a HA could switch to infiltrator at a terminal, deploy radar, and switch back. Darts disappear if you switch, so to should the radar. It should be like the mana turret where if you change classes it goes away.

I could see the recon drone costing resources. It depends if the thing has weapons though.
    • Up x 1
  8. Corezer

Recon drone with lolpods!

Fund it, Higby!
    • Up x 1
  9. NinjaTurtle

Thanks SOE, thanks for pushing this back again
  10. TeknoBug

Yay more thumb twiddling, they pushing back server transfers too? :rolleyes:
  11. PieBringer

Make the recon drone a vehicle, only spawnable by infiltrators.

Cloaked lolpods! :eek:
  12. illgot

Stalker Cloak works so give us that. Nothing says we have to get everything at once.
  13. Aimeryan

Au contraire, whatever we don't get in the infiltrator update might as well as be thought of as lost - the devs hardly pay the infiltrator class any attention as it is with the update looming; imagine what it will be like when we are considered "done".

The stalker cloak is a good start (assuming it is designed right), but without the base redesign to accommodate sabotage play the stalker cloak will be incomplete. Better than not having it at all? Maybe, but not by much.
    • Up x 1
  14. Aethys

This is actually my worry, exactly. :( I feel like they're only paying attention now because they have to, and once they get us out of their way, they can go back to focusing on what they actually like.
  15. Hoki

For those saying the recon drone is crap or should have weapons.

Holy ******* **** NO it should NOT have weapons. Are you insane? And flying around 3D spotting stuff is incredibly useful for PTFOing.

But thats the crux of it, too many infs not wanting to PTFO and just want to run around with an SMG and play like a stealth heavy.
  16. Aimeryan

I disagree, not because it couldn't do this, but because we already do this. Redundancy is nice, but ultimately unnecessary if the same thing is what brings that redundancy. It should definitely not be taking priority over non-redundant features.

I don't think I have ever had difficultly knowing where the enemy is. Individual units at the outskirts of the battle maybe (when not even one of the many different radars is deployed), but swarms (and their sources) just don't require that sort of tool to find. As mentioned, it is redundant anyway because we do have radars.

Anyway, I know we (and others) have covered this ground before, just realise that not everyone thinks it is useful, and even a lot of the ones that do acknowledge that it would be only a tiny benefit.

Now, if it had some way of affecting vehicles it would be a different story - remote vehicle-hacking drone anyone?
  17. Jkar

The reason no one would want to sit in a recon drone all day is because spotting alone is not rewarding. You only get spot exp for targets that haven't been spotted by someone else already and you earn next to no exp doing so.

Unless they give bonus exp for spotting with a recon drone or perhaps something to influence the battle like an EMP blast to annoy infantry and vehicles with (and get assist exp for doing so) I don't see it being widely adopted because on top of not being fun if all you can do is spot, but it's also not earning back the cert it cost to get it in the first place or even get certs for new stuff.
  18. CuteBeaver

You mean like this?

19. TeknoBug

^ that's disgusting
  20. illgot

the Drone is less useful than a person sitting on a Flash with Scout Radar. At least the Flash driver can run around shooting at enemies.

The infiltrator can not do anything while the drone is out. What is the point of using a drone just to spot enemies? I can do the same thing with my infiltrator or LA sitting on a hill.

The drone is basically SOE say "yeah, we gave you something, now next to the other classes that really matter".