Infiltrator Sniping role concerns and Bullet Velocity/Speed/Damage

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Fumblewatt, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Fumblewatt

Hello all, first of all i am very new to the game and i got some questions about this class as a whole

Why are there no way to indicate the range down my sights? Its a sci-fi game, the scope should be able to detect the range down your sights, are there any binoculars in this game to do this? Since i have to do headshots with bullet speed and velocity in mind and cannot do bodyshots to kill someone before they go into panic mode

The other question is, the terrain? the outskirts of the center(which is were the battle takes place) are just open wide fields, to get to a superior vantage point, not only to snipe but to provide intel for your squad, you have to have the light assault jet pack, and in the middle of the mess where the battle takes place is filled with trees and walls and covers(dependant of area and different vantage points ofc, but the majority of time, im struggling to walk behind enemy lines on open fields to get to a vantage point) only to ping my location for the first kill, then have to search for another vantage point, which is by coincidence is on the otherside of that wide open field(not to forget the choppers that love to zerg your pinged location -.-)

Last question is probably a general one, it is impossible to snipe in a game where the fps drops to 20 when firing

Love the game though, its fun when the fps is not down to 10-20 :D
  2. Ztiller

1: You will get used to the distance in awhile. You'll begin to recognize the enemy size, and objects around them and pulling off 300m headshots on the first try won't be such a big fuzz. Alternatively, you can open the map and place a Personal Waypoint where the enemy is, and it will give you a distance meter.

2: Use bushes for cover. I use enemy vehicles, or sometimes even enemy MAXes to hide behind when im moving. At times i have even ridden on top of enemy tanks for a short while. If a vehicle exploded nearby, use the smoke and debris to get past. The enemy will be distracted by the explosion and not see your haze.

If you take fire, keep running. Don't try to fight back, just run. Sometimes you are out of luck and you die, but mostly you'll be fine.

If you intend to fight from behind enemy lines, get a Silencer. It prevents you from appearing on the minimap when shooting.

Vehicles usually use IRNV, which cannot see Cloak. Use that for your advantage.

As for the FPS bug, i am suffering from it too, since the latest Hotfix IIRc. It have greatly reduced my sniping effectiveness. However, far from everyone does. I have asked the SOE support, but they couldn't fix it. I'm keeping my finger crossed for the Update this monday.
    • Up x 1
  3. Fumblewatt

Thanks for the fast reply, forgot the mention it in the first post but do we infiltrators have any means necessary to take down tanks? I understand that it would be OP with c4 + cloaking a whole tank platoon, but are there any ammo upgrades or mortar strikes at later ranks? or just any way to bring down a tank as a infiltrator, seen the proximity mines in the upgrades slots, but i guess anti-infantry and that they are for booby-trapping cap points and bases while infiltrating..
  4. Ztiller

You can hack turrets, and be 25x as effective as any HA.

Skip to 1:40

Other than that, no. We have no weapon that can harm armor whatsoever You will have to avoid the tanks and strike the enemy elsewhere. Don't worry, there is plenty of things for an infiltrator to do, despite not being able to harm armor.
  5. Fumblewatt

That set waypoint was incredible helpful :)
    Finally got the suppressor, "It greatly reduces bullet velocity and speed"
    Does anybody know the exact number it would reduce it by? Could not find it on wiki.

Been infiltrating and hacking bases recently, which has been incredible fun, yeah .. "handicapping" all of their defenses is way more useful then me taking crackshots at a vantage point.(all situational ofc)
    But why do we not get assist kills when using our sensor darts?

Third concern is.. What is my role in the heavy tank vs tank battles? Sniping engies? My specops loadout is not useful vs an army of HA's storming our location..

Have there been news recently about infiltrators being able to take care of vehicles? It is incredible frustrating to be on a vantage point, call out their sunderer and your squadmates continue to do zerg vs zerg(never ever seen a "sniper" class, be this crippled in any games ive played)
    Would be good if i could atleast risk my life and attempt to hack it and drive it off a cliff or use it for my squads purpose
    Calling in artillery on stationary targets? with a 20 sec delay?
  6. Fumblewatt

Other weird things regarding the infiltration aspect of the game is that we are the squishiest targets without the mobility that is usually the trade-off in games, we walk/sprint at the same rate of a HA which is ridiculous if you cant the equipment and armor being worn by both classes, same rule applies for the sound generated by both classes when walking on surfaces, it sounds like im stomping as loudly as i can when crouching to get a point defended by enemies.

AFAIK infiltrators are trained for being silent and deadly at long ranges and close quarters with the use of martial arts and knives.
    Well enough QQ
    My question: are there any upgrades regarding ranking up that increases my speed or how loudly i walk?
    or have the devs mentioned, what future updates could help out the infiltration aspect of the game?
  7. DemoniWaari

At least the cloak is being fixed. Though I can't say if it's just the graphical bug that it has at the moment, or overall to make it more usable. Alas you can't cert to get more movement speed, nor to get quieter footsteps, nor the sound of the cloak, nor how good your cloak actually is... so yeah, not much you can do about being a more succesful infiltrator by using certs. Which is amusingly weird when you think about it.
  8. iller

Lol...if only this was sarcasm.
  9. Ztiller

I don't think anyone knows any exact numbers, but it is significant. After awhile you'll get used to it though.

I think we don't get assists because it is too simple to just spam recon darts everywhere, just like we don't get assists for having Radar on our vehicles. Just speculation though.

In heavy Tank vs Tank battles you shouldn't play infiltrator. The infiltrator belongs inside enemy bases, or at vantage points over infantry combat, not in the armored field. If you want to help, hack the vehicle consoles in the base where the enemy is receiving the reinforcements from. Sniping engineers, as states, is obviously also useful. But you are not a direct confrontation class. Find a way to help your team indirectly.

No news on infiltrators fighting vehicles, and it is unlikely to happen. But a lot of people in this community wants someway to fight vehicles. I'm not one of them. Don't worry, you'll get used to it.

You move as fast as anyone else, but your cloak makes you both harder to see and to hit. That is your advantage.

Your footsteps are drowned out by literally everything else in the game, don't worry about anyone hearing it.

Try to play the class for what it is, rather than what you want it to be, and you'll be much more effective.

No upgrades like that, no. And no word from the Devs. In the beta we did have quite a few different cloak options planned, but none of them were implemented.
  10. Wobberjockey

LA + adrenaline pump runs faster than an infiltrator, FYI

but yea, as far as stalking people, unless they stop, you will not catch them unless you take a shortcut
  11. TheBaronofSD

I'll give you some tips.

dont piss ...

i digress,

1) use a scope with MIL dots on it. use these to judge range, will take some practice.
    1a) i use x8 scopes for 'general' duty. learn to use your non zoomed view to dial up a shot then quickly zoom in take your shot and reload. dont live in your scope.

2) forget you have a cloak. or, stop expecting your cloak will make you hard to see. currently it doesnt. that may change but really you dont need it. if you master movement and use of concealment/horizon without using the cloak then any benefit you gain from the cloak will be enhanced further down the road if it ever gets fixed.

3) learn to not be the primary target. if you're in a foot zerg clashing with another foot zerg make sure there are always dudes in front of you to soak bullets. pop in and out of cover and pop head shots.

4) get used to the crappy sway and learn to still hit shots while strafing.

5) learn to aim just below the neck and pop the headshot after a flinch. this will win you 1v1 duals.

6) learn when to hold breath and when not to. your target knows you can hold breath too many times missing the first shot will give them a sense of ease for a few seconds since they think you missed a steady shot. follow with the steady shot.

now, go forth and make tears flow.
  12. Andy79

Would be nice if infiltrators could kill enemy pilots if they just hover or come down in a straight line. Before that could happen the playermodel would have to be rendered into the cockpit and the windows would need be penetrateable by infantery rifles.

(like in those promo pictures with a light assault clinging to a cockpit)

Anyone switching mouse DPI while zooming in on peoples heads ? think there is a mouse that will do that automatically.