Infiltrator science: headshots & nanoweave

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Xiphos, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Steppa

"Bolt-action minimum damage cannot be 512 like you are suggesting because it means it would take 3 body shots to kill a target with Nanoweave 1 at 300m as titpoints with Nanoweave 1 = 1050."

What if he shoots the guy in the back?
  2. Mbui

Have you done any further testing on this? Specifically max range for a 1 head shot kill on someone with nanoweave 1 and nanoweave 5.

Last night I landed a head-shot on an HA (level 55) from 195m and did not kill. From that info can you tell if he was wearing nw1, nw5, or something in between?

If we can't kill with 1 head-shot from a reasonably long distance, what's the point of sniping?

thx
  3. Xandax

Well - I'm unsure whether I have had any targets survive a headshot or it was me not hitting them in the head.
    It'll be pretty hard to test as we don't know which part of the body we're actually hitting and just a bit of adjustment could mean it wasn't a headshot after all.

I do run Nanoweave myself though to help against those bodyshots from pesky people spraying bullets at me when I'm just 'minding my own business'.
  4. Mbui

I will post relevant data as I acquire it. My weapon is always the Longshot.

Enemy: HA, nanoweave 2. survived a headshot at ~ 165m.

assuming enemy is truthful about armor. distances approx. cause it's all battlefield experiences.
  5. Uzii

You will know. A survived HS will leave them with a slither of health, anything from 1%-10%. A body shot will barely scratch their Health, leaving them with roughly 90%.
  6. Ghostfox

From experience as an extreme range sniper(when permitted via draw distance), I've yet to have someone live on a headshot, even at 400+ meters.

Nanoweave isn't really a useful cert unless you are dealing in CQC where having that extra one bullet advantage can make a difference.

IIRC The only one that might live is a HA with maxed nano weave and max resist shield on a fresh shield.... but I haven't tested it nor know the exact numbers to do the math on it.
  7. Gn0stic

Longest headshot i have scored in PS2 was precisely 2.5 mil dots with RAMS .50. I have no idea how long the actual distance was. It took only one shot.

Then there have been cases where i had to make two fast follow-up shots to the head, from distance less than 50 meters to get the enemy player killed. I was still using the RAMS and 12x scope.
  8. WycliffSlim

I've been using the Parralax with a 12x scope almost my entire time playing PS2 and I've only ever had HA survive what I believed to be headshots and even that is rare I have more kills on HA than any other class. I believe that with an extremely high level of nanoweave armor it MAY be possible for a HA to survive a long-range headshot but in my experience no other class has been able to do so. On the flip side, it is, at times difficult to tell if you actually landed a headshot on the enemy at long ranges. All I know is that 80% of my kills are headshots and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I KNOW that I've landed a headshot and the target hasn't dropped. The only time that's happened is with HA. At this point in the game level 4 or 5 nanoweave armor isn't extremely relevant as most players haven't earned enough certs to get to that level unless they've only certed into that. In a couple months when more players are running around with it at lvl 5 it may be interesting to see what happens.

If it is that case that multiple classes can survive headshots with lvl 5 at long ranges than something will need to change about the mechanics of bolt-action rifles because I, for one, would find it unacceptable to headshot a medic or engie and not have them go down. The only thing that keeps me alive as an infil is the fact that I can 1HK an enemy and they aren't able to pinpoint my location and fight back. Either way, I think something in the original math or assumptions made is incorrect because the conclusions drawn are not what I've experienced in game and would be very poor execution on the part of the devs.
  9. Uzii

Just like to chip in again, I believe the idea behind the new Bolt Actions having an extra 50 damage is to negate the chance of anyone surviving a headshot. The RAMS and the Parallax are these weapons, so it makes sense that neither of you have seen many people surviving headshots. Also, whoever walks away from a headshot will have almost no health left, whereas a bodyshot will leave them nearly unscathed health-wise.
  10. Revanmug

The latest tier of sniper do not remove Nanoweave out of the equation but does sightly increase the range. As for those saying HA are the only surviving Headshot, wake up. Only the Infiltrator has a different in ttk and it's because it got 100 less shield. All other class have the reg 500 shield and 500 health.

If you didn't one shot a HA, a medic/engineer/LA would have survive as well so long it has the same lvl of Nanoweave.

Also remember that the HA Resist shield do NOT stop sniper round unlike its default counterpart. Many people believe to have one shot a HA through shield without realising that it was Resist shield up.
    • Up x 1
  11. Arcanum

What's the trade-off of something like the RAMS?
  12. exLupo

RAMS vs Stock has fastest projectile velocity (650, stock is 550), slowest reload (4s vs 3.5s) and middling rof (46rpm vs 49). +0.5 hipfire CoF as well.
    • Up x 2
  13. Arcanum

Stock? Are you talking about the 99SV or the M77B/TR Bolt Driver equivalent?

So this means the RAMS/Parallax/NC equivalent is actually objectively better at sniping than a M77B/XM98 Ghost/Bolt Driver?
  14. exLupo

The BD equivalents. And the projectile is objectively better, the entire weapon system's value comparing 100 cert and 1000 cert versions is dubious at best.
  15. Uzii

It may not remove Nanoweave out of the equation completely, but for all intents and purposes it might as well. We're still not sure on the maths of it, but that extra 50 damage they have, plus the Headshot multiplier, is usually enough to compensate for most levels of Nanoweave. I have witnessed this first hand, I have Nanoweave 5, and I have survived a few sniper rounds to the head. Though, when I do get popped, it is 90% of the time from one of these High Tier bolt action rifles (RAMS or Parallax).

Though I am glad to see someone who understands that Heavies have the same health and shields as every other class except the Infiltrator.
    • Up x 1
  16. WycliffSlim

That is a good point... I think another thing that may have lead to this, false, conclusion which I have jumped to as well is that heavies are probably more likely to be highly certed into the nanoweave perk than other classes which means that if nanoweave 5 lets you survive a headshot you may be more likely to encounter heavies that have it than other classes. Just a thought I had, I could be wrong.

I'm still not sure though if I've ever had any class survive a headshot from my parallax when I know for a fact that it was a headshot. I for one would really like to see SOE release a more comprehensive list of damages from all weapon types and have a standarized in-game damage level instead of different scales for each weapon. But, that's a little off track.
  17. Uzii

I think that's the idea of the Parallax, to negate any chance of someone surviving a headshot. There is a GoogleDocs spreadsheet somewhere on the forums that shows the Highest Tier Sniper Rifles to have an extra 50 damage.
    • Up x 1
  18. Mbui

more data.

my faction: NC
    enemy fac: Vanu
    weapon: Longshot
    range: ~116m
    enemy armor: nanoweave 3.
    headshot result: 2 pips of life remaining.

Pathetic, and Unfun. Though if the plan all along is to see-saw things by giving Longshot an ammo upgrade (purchasable with SC of course) on one patch, then a few weeks/months later giving sniperFodder more HP ( $$$ ); kudos.
  19. KageRyuuUjiMakai

I believe people assume the Heavy will have his Nanite Mesh on when an Infiltrator shoots him and as such they assume he would survive, which he would if he knew to have it up and if it was relatively fresh.
  20. Dr. Euthanasia

If any of you are/could be on Jaeger, I volunteer as an Infiltrator target dummy. I've got rank 5 Nanoweave and I can already tell you that it's saved me in the field from enemy snipers from ranges inside the common "large battle" rendering distance.