Infiltrator is nearly a broken class. Here's why...

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by NovaAustralis, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Darkelfdruid_LOL

All these threads being resurrected.......

#GoPlayHeavyAssultEasiestClassInGame.
    • Up x 3
  2. NovaAustralis

Huh? o_O
    Were you being sarcastic?
    Because they are all still relevant.

1. Render distance has broken long range sniping. - check, now includes funny animation at long range :rolleyes:

2. Nanoweave armour has broken sniping in general. - kinda fixed with range nerfs thrown in... :rolleyes:

3. Enemies don't render for a least a second after exiting turrets and vehicles. Still there :mad:

4. Occasionally Infiltrator cloak doesn't work. Still there :mad:

5. Spotting a target now highlights your position on the map. Unsure ? o_O

6. AP mines that come with a laser light show. still there and their effectiveness has been nerfed! :mad:

7. Infiltrators are impotent against vehicles. still an issue :mad:
    • Up x 2
  3. Elkybam

Seriously,

Cloaking is meant for counter-measures against snipers. Can also get you out of tight situations.

The sniper rifle is meant to pick out targets at LONG range, away from the intense action.

Reduced health if you want cloaking that is effective in many scenarios.

SMG just gave the class much more definition, but many are not making wise decisions such as uncloaking to kill a sad guy and finding out his teammates are behind him, readying their meaty hands.
  4. MajiinBuu

1. 300 meters is plenty, enemies are still just a few pixels even with 12x scope
    2. Nanoweave health bonus was an indirect nerf, but it wasn't directed towards snipers in general. Also fixed now
    3. That's the same for everyone, not just you poor infiltrators. A better computer will help that
    4. Unless you use it while being healed, it always works. You can still see yourself, but others can't, you really are cloaked
    5. Within 10 meters you'll ping on the minimap for enemies. Also you shouldn't snipe 10 meters from enemies.
    6. They still work. Place them in not-so-obvious places. People have started to check corners and doorways. And Flak armor has always protected you from mines, it's nothing new.
    7. Infiltrators can hack stuff. I take it you've never used a Spear behind an enemy armor column? Potent stuff.
  5. Darkelfdruid_LOL

Actually 4.

Cloak decloaks you in battles when you reload after cloaking.

It also uncloaks you if you uncloak , uncloak really fast in a fight.

It also uncloaks you after you use a med kid and cloak.

Sux
    • Up x 2
  6. MajiinBuu

yeah I forgot about that one
  7. NovaAustralis

Dude... :rolleyes:

1. In large battles render distance means you can't snipe from 300m. This is a limitation of the coding and the engine. Yet PS2 appeal is... large battles. Ergo, sniping is broken by the render distance issue.

2. Yes Nanoweave might be fixed, but in their wisdom they nerfed the ranges on sniper rifles depending on type...

3. A better computer? Get serious. Players need to be 'pre cached' or something when they enter a turret, because at the moment hacking an occupied turret is nearly always fatal to the Infiltrator not the occupant.

4. Doesn't change the fact that what I see on my screen is not what's happening. It's a minor bug, but has gotten me killed when it shouldn't have.

5. Spotting shouldn't be done via yelling for starters. Secondly Infiltrators should not appear on the mini-map at any range unless they shoot without a suppressor or are spotted themselves. (Othewise how is the Infiltrator a 'stealth' class !?)

6. Yeah thanks. I know how to use AP Mines (Auraxium medal). So I can tell you latest patch has made them a lot less effective. The lights on them were unnecessary too. If SOE hates them so much, why don't they just delete them from the game.

7. Oh really ? Infiltrators can hack turrets and use them ? I never knew that. Thanks so much for informing me. I'll go try that now.

Hmm... there's an enemy tank near my sniping spot. Where's the nearest base with an AV turret? Two hexes away. Okay, what else can I do about it. SQUAT. That's what.

We need Vehicle Hacking or Disabling or something.

EVERY other class has some sort of AV ability.
    • Up x 1
  8. Frazzle

I think that the ability to hack turrets can make infiltrators excellent vehicle killers in certain situations. There have been several instances where I have single-handedly broken a stalemate with a hacked turret behind enemy lines.
  9. NovaAustralis

No doubt it can be a battle changer.
    I've done it plenty of times myself.

The problem is:
    - what if you aren't near a base with AV turrets?
    - what if those AV turrets are destroyed?
    - what if the AV turrets don't cover the arc you need to engage the enemy?
    - it's very risky hacking the turrets and you have a limited time to use them before the surprise is over.
  10. Frazzle

That is why I called it situational. There is risk. I usually set a bouncing better right behind the turret and another at a further point to extend my time. Depending on the situation, I often choose to stay in the turret until dead firing as many shots as possible.
  11. Thrix

Well if there's one thing that i have learned over the past year, is that infiltrators are being dumbed down. Slowly, agonizingly but surely made less and less 'functional'.

But then i thought to myself.
    I see my score sometimes, What i do, what other infiltrators do, How among ourselves we pride in getting them 'killstreaks'.
    And now i see that.. is exactly our purpose. We kill, we're killers.
    We keep a constant K/D of 10 if you're doing good. No other class can get that, not even close. The people i mostly kill, run out of their base and DIE without dropping a single person. they'd have a K/D of 0.1.
    We shoot tank operators out of their vehicles when they think repairing is a good idea.
    We take over turrets and **** up ESF's and Liberators before they get to the front lines.
    We can completely disable consoles by taking it over and blowing it up. They won't be able to repair it.
    We drop mines BEHIND enemy lines to **** up their day.
    We spot enemies for our allies to take advantage of.

Sure we can't take down armor, or effectively battle groups, or kill maxes. But the class can be used for so much more than that.

I do however agree that it is becoming harder and harder to do these things. I think the most significant nerf for us was the removal of hackable consoles for "performance".
    That really put a dent in most of my backdoor capabilities.

I think the best kind of tips i can give are pretty simple;
    • Avoid what kills you. no unnecessary risks. Take time to charge your cloak back up before going in.
      • Enemies are only as good as you allow them to be. Being invisible is our creed, don't think you're a One man army.
    • Take potshots, they're cheap, but it's what we should do being the frail class that we are.
    • ALWAYS approach from behind. Avoid frontal confrontations.
    • Try not to alert maxes, they are literally the BANE of our existence, running by cloaked seems to always get us caught.
    • Up x 1
  12. John_Aitc

:) Come play for the TR, Targan. It is always okay to shoot!
  13. BloodyG

The only prob i have at the mom with Infi is the cloak with <25fps it should go on it dosn't, it should go off it won't and so on.
    I try to not use it in this situations but it's a bad habbit.
    • Up x 1
  14. NovaAustralis

So the latest update still hasn't addressed any of these issues...
    But hey, Infils now get Motion Spotters, a new kinda Cloak, better EMP grenades, the Light Assault Adrenaline Pump and some new weapons but can be spotted with Flashlights, sorry Darklights, now...
    :rolleyes:
    Way to listen to your playerbase SOE...
    (Please correct me on any of these if I'm wrong)
  15. ADUILO

The infiltrator isn't completely useless against vehicles anymore with the addition of the crossbow.
  16. Hoki

Holy necro
    • Up x 2
  17. WycliffSlim

Dead threads should be dead.
  18. NovaAustralis

Is the Infiltrator class still borked?
    Have the concerns listed in the OP been addressed in full?

No?
    Then this thread is still relevant.

PS -
    who cares what 'age' threads are?
    or if some time passes between postings?
    this is SOE's fault for not getting things fixed, that are STILL broken from last year.
  19. Bl4ckVoid

It is not broken so stop whining. Play something else or learn to play.

If anything infiltrators are OP, with near invisibility, SMG and OHK rifle.
  20. Vanon

1. Render distance has broken long range sniping. - If you increased render distance it would increase all things such as tank shells, zephers, etc. Even if it would not break the code, and require a ton of special new code, the headshot range is still a limiting factor if you want to 0hk. It's not broken. It could be tweaked slightly, but the idea of a bunch of snipers on the top of the accent snipeing 3 bases over and 0hking everyone is a stupid idea anyways.

2. Nanoweave armour has broken sniping in general. - Completely solved. No one uses nanoweave, and even if they do, it doesn't effect head shots.

3. Enemies don't render for a least a second after exiting turrets and vehicles. - Upgrade your computer. This is not a game problem, this is a personal computer problem
    4. Occasionally Infiltrator cloak doesn't work. - It does, the visual cue some times gets delayed. the easiest work around is centralized hud, as you can easily see your cloak start to go down.

5. Spotting a target now highlights your position on the map. - Yea, and thats a good thing. If you are 10 m from someone, you are either in stalker cloak form, or CQB form. Both make this an advantage if you are smart enough to use it. Otherwise i've never been in a position where 10m dot on the map made a difference when i did not want it to.

6. AP mines that come with a laser light show. - AP mines never where designed to put down in the most obvious places to farm kills. That being said, the laser light is mostly a problem for TR, as they got the worst of the mines by far. The light is barely noticeable on NC or VS.

7. Infiltrators are impotent against vehicles. - Thats not a problem. They are not suppose to be potent against vehicles. C4 + stealth is a bad idea. Tank mines + stealth is worse. The best your going to get is sniper rifle ammo that does damage to tanks. Keep in mind how easy it is to snipe a tank. Now at what point would a platoon rather use rocket launchers over a sniper rifle, even if it did 10% of the rocket launchers damage? I want the idea to happen, but it will be abused instantly and nerfed till it's useless. The only other idea thats popular is hacking vehicles, which i always loved in ps1.

Most of the points where addressed, Necroing the thread is stupid because it does not note the progression of changes.