Infiltrator is nearly a broken class. Here's why...

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by NovaAustralis, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Targanwolf

I have tried to get hooked on this game several times...and failed.I'm currently playing an engineer in my 3rd attempt.Why did I leave 2x ? Render distance. I see targets and cannot tell friend from foe...so I cannot shoot ! When I get closer...the level 79 kills my level 3 sniper with disdain and laughable effort. So I quit 2x.

I'm back now to see how the class plays and have to say I wish I had not read the continuing render distance concerns.Hopefully my engineer will prove fulfilling.
  2. Vaphell

What has render distance got to do with problems with target recognition? Render distance means people stop to render at all ie there is a magical threshold where the guy appears and disappears. That happens far away and in most cases it's not an issue.
    Your allies should get dorito if you point at them and you can press Q on the guy to shout out 'enemy spotted' and you will get enemy dorito, though this one is heard by enemies too so in general it's a bad idea while flanking. Colors used on armors - red/black/white - TR, yellow+blue NC, grey VS, though camos complicate things a bit.
    Also look from time to time at the minimap to get the idea where your allies are (bind mousescroll to zoom-in zoom-out in options to easily gouge situation in micro/macro scale, default [, ] are not convenient). Situational awareness is on you.
  3. Sworaven

The problem is that the distance to be sure of a OHK (where NW won't save them, as you put it) is so ridiculously close that you might as well be using an SMG/ASR. And I'm sure a lot of BASR-users try to get as close as possible even though last time I checked a BASR was meant for engaging targets at longer distances.
  4. Korban

That's one way of using LA's.
  5. Targanwolf

Wen I talk rendering distance...I mean there is no color dot over a players head.You simply cannot shoot because you don't know what you are shooting at.So a sniper cannot be a sniper.

Frankly I don't think this is by accident.I think stealth is being minimized...be it mines that are so ridiculously visible...or snipers play ability.
  6. TheAntiFish

Actually my Q-spotting has been playing up a bit recently if that's what Targan's getting at?

For instance: Usually when i press Q i get "Enemy [Class] Spotted" and then their name + red "Here i am" tag hovers above them for a while. However lately i've found that i'm having to spam Q repeatedly to get it to register an enemy at all. Not so frequently that it's rage-worthy but it is pretty damn annoying.
    • Up x 1
  7. Vaphell

dorito is over allies' heads, even at very long ranges when you scope in and put the crosshair on a dude. If there is none - shoot, ask questions later. If the game glitched and didn't put one in case of an ally, well...apologize via /tell, better safe than sorry right?
    Looking at minimap seriously improves situational awareness (if in the direction i am looking at there are no allied markers on the minimap, anybody that shows up = enemy), also colors and silhouettes are different. You will get familiar with them with experience.

Spotting sucks hard, that is true. Spamming Q, not getting a single proper spot and hitting cooldown is so annoying, especially when you hit tank or sundie dead center and only get error sound. Also i hate how very tiny margin of error combined with huge hipfire crosshair of bolt actions make it very tricky to spot. It's hard to find the exact center of 200px x 200px circle, but switch to recon tool or pistol and you get a nice tight crosshair that makes spotting a breeze. Wtf?
    • Up x 2
  8. Blue_Moon

1. I don't understand why the most advanced soldiers of the most advanced militaries in the history of humanity can't hold their breath for longer than 4 seconds. I'm not a trained infiltrator in real life, and I can comfortably hold my breath for at least 30 seconds. Not 4. Would it kill them to make it for holding 6, so at least we aren't totally pathetic? 8P

2. Fun fact- did you know that BASR have the steepest damage degradation line for primary weapons in the game? Just up the minimum damage and we can all call it a day. Or ignore nanoweave. I just feel like upping the damage would be a better option because I don't have a good feeling about targeting one specific armor type- someone will cry OP.

3, 4. Bugs.

5. wat? I never noticed that. Are you sure about that one?

6. I'm okay with it. I still run over those proximity mines every game session. I've even run over a claymore once or twice. Now THAT was embarrassing.

7. This is not a post advertisement. Just check out my vehicle hacking thread and make it happen. 8D But srsly, as I said in it, I don't want to be the king of tank doom, I just don't want to be completely useless the second an enemy force deploys a vehicle.

The reason some of these won't be seen in-game with too much haste is because there are many players who want to be rewarded for their errors. If you stand in the middle of a flat field where snipers are about... you deserved to get headshotted for going afk in plain sight (pun intended). Simple as that. If you don't look down once in a while, you deserve to step on a mine. Again, simple as that. The second reason is that, while the planetside community is awesome in general, we tend to have a misguided concept of balance. The moment something gets a slight buff, it is overpowered, as if that's the definition of overpowered. When the downsides exist with the upsides, or when a counter exists to an action, it is not overpowered. The infiltrator is not overpowered because we don't get shotguns, our cloaks aren't indefinite, our cloaks aren't 100%, we have 100 less shields than other classes, and we make an obscenely loud (too loud, IMO) sound that travels for longer than some of our render distances. We're more than balanced. We're slightly UP, even (although the cloak getting partially fixed did help a lot). Bolt actions are not overpowered by this definition because a counter exists to it- don't stop moving, or shoot back as the infiltrator does have to actually uncloak to fire (plus, the bullets have tracers and so can be traced back to their source). If the downsides don't measure up with the upsides, then something can be overpowered, or when a counter does not exist to an action. At one time, the harasser could be considered to have been overpowered because it had powerful weaponry, it was very quick, it had a physical advantage (it was harder to tip than over vehicles), and it had rather heavy armor. In other words, counters to it other than sheer force of numbers (surrounding it with prowlers) were rare. Instead of nerfing its weapons, I would have halved its armor.
    My point with all of that is that, until people stop having nightmares about OPness, and until people accept responsibility for their deaths, things won't be fixed quickly. It's nobody's faults, but I just think things could be dealt with more effectively with a different mindset.

I'm sorry for the long post, I just thought it was relevant.
    • Up x 1
  9. Stinneyt

If they pull a vehicle, I hide and continue engaging targets that I can deal with.
    Or I hack a terminal switch to engineer or LA (depending on the vehicle) and drop tank mines/C4 on the vehicle before switching back to infiltrator and business as usual.

I wont lie. It doesn't always work, but its very satisfying when it does.
  10. Deathcapt

The difference is that you can return fire against the Max, You can see it, you can spot it, if you land a shot there, you can kill it.

With Infiltrators, they would literally not be there to their target, there would be no weapon report, there would be no tracer, there would be nothing to spot, and if you landed a tank shell where you knew they were, it wouldn't hit them. There is a huge difference between a pixel sized thing rendering and something not rendering at all.

If Infills could only do the equivalent to a flashbang against a tank they will not be worth doing. Maybe a remote detonated flash bang, something you could plant, and then set off when you knew a buddy was ready to rush the tank with c-4. Or as I suggested, add a perk to the recon dart (or make a different tool) that allowed you to mark tanks, so they remain 3d Spotted, and were faster to lock onto by friendly forces, similar to the tracer dart from Battlefield bad company 2.
  11. Scienta

I like how people don't realize that we already have someone with C4 that can do everything a infil can do, most times better. Its called a LA, and we don't scream OP when we get merced by one of those. Infils with ways of taking out vehicles will not be OP, it will be just a balanced or even harder than hopping in a LA and grabbing your C4 to go tank/sundie hunting. Let us blow the damn thing up, hack it, ******* something. They rest of the classes are able too.
    • Up x 1
  12. Stinneyt

LA dont cloak, they dont have long range sniper rifles, and they cannot hack turrets or terminals.
    Infiltrators need many things, but more ways to damage vehicles is definitely not one of them.
    • Up x 1
  13. Darkelfdruid_LOL

I love how when a comparison infi to another class comes up it always goes "LA much better 99% of the time"

:)
  14. TheAntiFish

Yeah, LA tend to feed my K/D ratio.

I like to headshot them as they try to fly away. Shame that.
  15. Darkelfdruid_LOL

Reported for hacking.

----

On a side note, I rly don't mind the cloak due to the amount of great players I come across , but no one can't really deny that it needs changing and tweaking.

I really smile at people that say they are going to use stalker cloak for QCQ :D although tower dancing and long range sniping it will be lolzers.

Although people can probably really forget of this class actually going in a better direction as the devs look "insert insulting comment here" to be honest. Oh guys you need fixing? OH HEY HERES A DRONE HAVE FUN.

either way, keep on fighting for the fixes :D I'll be overhere racking up kills
    • Up x 1
  16. Tar

invisible soldiers with 1hk long range weapons and sensor darts. Totally underpowered!
    • Up x 1
  17. TheAntiFish

Yeah, the cloak does suck at being invisible.

Or is it the people failing to utilize near invisibility? I just cant tell sometimes.
    What a poor and useless class we are.

Quite looking forward to our new C4 delivery system however!
  18. Darkelfdruid_LOL

Don't have to look forward...just ask a mate to place c4 on you....deliver it your self.

ASDA.....saving you money every day... ***** *****.

Edit.------------

Lold they sensor ch - ink
    • Up x 1
  19. CaptinDread

Why does everyone want options against armor for the infiltrator the infiltrator is an anti infantry class it is desinged to kill infantry that is it if you want to kill vechicles you go heavy or Engineer or even any class with C4 you DO NOT Go infiltrator it is a stupid thing to do
    This is coming from an infiltrator player that loves the class to bit but you can't exspect every class to be able to do everything thats why you have classes in the first place people. The infiltrator is a class that is good at disrupting and killing enemy infantry if you want to kill vechicles sorry but you CAN'T since you fire butllets wich you might have noticed aren't effective against tanks what you can do however is play SMART And get behind the enemy and pick off their medics and engineers that will help in the following ways the enigneers running around repairing the tanks are dead so they need to eb revied but there are no medic's cause a problem for that line of tanks mainly that there not able to take as much damage anymore since it isn't getting repaired.

And now you can ofcourse say "But I'm alone I can't do that since they'll just respawn anyways" well I tell you this game is about mass warfare if you're alone you might have a problem since you CAN'T impact the battle on you onesies since you but 1 guy with 1 gun get used to it that you're not billy badass. What you can do is team up with an OUTFIT or a GROUP/SQUAD even friends work for the love of god. Since if you work together you are more effective since you have more guns and ontop of that ever heard of tactics play smart and respawn at a base back from the base you're fighting an attack from an unexpected angle.

So just to remind all of you you are but 1 soldier on a battlefield full of them don't exspect to kill everything instead go for target that you can take on.
    • Up x 1
  20. MajiinBuu

All irrelevant now. Most of it.
    Infiltrator is fine the way it is.
    • Up x 1