Infiltrator idea: IFF hacking

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Marzipanzer, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Marzipanzer

For those who don't know for some reason, IFF stands for Identify Friendly Fire. AKA: The green/red triangles we have floating over our heads.

So, what if infiltrators could sneak up to idling enemy vehicles and hack them to switch their IFF identifier from red to to green? For damage / kill exp, any damage or kills from friendly fire is given to the infiltrator. The catch is that this is only doable if the infiltrator sneaks up to enemy vehicles and said vehicle remains relatively stationary and ignorant enough to allow said hacking.

Alternatively, the IFF switching ability could be implemented by a sticky grenade that latches onto vehicles/players, rather than hacking.

Just an idea from a guy who rarely plays infiltrators.
  2. Auditore1478

Would cause so much weaponlocks it would cripple the team.

Or they would hear the friendly fire noise and just stop firing on reds, start firing on greens,
  3. Marzipanzer

With the IFF set to hostile, there would be no weaponlocks for firing on what appears to be a hostile vehicle. Nor would the friendly-fire indicator be heard.
  4. Infinity24k

We had this in PS1, you could even hack an enemy vehicle and use it yourself.
    Lets say the Infiltrator was TR and hacks a Magrider. The magrider changes its colours to Red/Black alike the TRs
    and could be used to drive around. It was fun but I dont miss it.
  5. SAS|Kain

Hmm.... I like this idea. If the vehicle is occupied, the IFF is toggled to make their allies think the vehicle has been hacked and is being piloted/driven by the enemy.

If the vehicle isn't occupied (everyone has bailed from a Gal and the pilot has landed it and left to join the assault, for example) then you hack it for you own use.

Same mechanic, the vehicle will show as red to the enemy team, but hilarious if used correctly. Naturally, in either case the griefing system would not apply, but in case #1 the enemy would simply blow up their ally but the death would be classed as if the INF had caused the killing blow and the ally does not get a penalty or a change to their K/D (for those sad, selfish players who care about such stats).
  6. SilentTR

it's cool, itll never happen:p
  7. UKAvenger

I always thought it stood for identification friend or foe. I think just being able to hack empty enemy vehicles would be good enough personally though heh