[Suggestion] Infiltrator anti darklight-flashlight

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ciider, Aug 16, 2015.

1. ciider

I would like to suggest a perk that allows the infiltrator to stay hidden from darklight-flashlight, the target audience of this perk would be very small. The purpose of the perk would be to enable a fun complete knife only build, it will disable your secondary to remove any thought of overpowered.
    One area it will buff is the infiltrators ability to give away enemy positions.
    One area that may reduce the chance of this being implemented is the over complexity of darklight-flashlights and the reduced power of having it as a attachment.
    • Up x 1
  2. Devilllike

No because simply this can be exploited in many ways like camping on a capture point and leaving him there for good,there are plenty of ways to not notice an infiltrator like to be litteraly in plain sight so i would say no every class needs its counters if you dont like to be seen then play smart,there is a reasont hey added dark light in the first place
    • Up x 6
  3. ciider

Nano/hunter cloak allows you to carry a primary, stalker removes primary. My suggested perk was to counter darklight-flashlight at the removal of your secondary gun. This leaves you with a knife, they added darklight-flashlight to allow people to counter smg/shotgun play. The only reason i can think of not adding my suggested feature is to reduce complexity, what i had in mind was a 'fun' build that would have no impact on the battlefield unless used for scouting enemy positions.
  4. FateJH

No, they added Darklight to counter the Stalker Cloak's ability to stand still indefinitely and remain off most common forms of in-game radar. The Stalker Cloak's ability to influence capture points while cloaked is also a factor.
    • Up x 5
  5. ciider

The first part is definetly not true, you dont need to counter a guy standing still with a knife. The second part i have completely missed, there is ways around it, but again, simplicity will beat my hand on that specific issue surely.

The goal of all this would be the ability to stalk, with the knowledge that they can only see what you have estimated the cloak allows. The dream fufilled would be a multiplayer game allowing the cloaked person to run around with knife only, sort of like the game called crysis.

My workaround for the specific issue would be to disable cloaks in capture range.
  6. FateJH

If it's not true, then why was Darklight implemented this way alongside Stalker Cloak in the Infiltrator update? you can reference that I am making a causation/correlation fallacy, if you want, but all detection content surrounding the Infiltrator update was a part of the said Infiltrator update.

You can run around in the game using just a knife now, if you want. There's no point to disabling someone else's Darklight to achieve this goal nor is there a reason to give up your own secondary for it. Just attack them from behind, away from the direction their weapon is facing.

Are you saying this modification would make it so you don't have to uncloak to swing the knife?
    • Up x 1
  7. ciider

Obviously you could still use primaries on Hunter/nano cloak, and so you can now.

Most FirstPersonShooters allow you to do this.

You would give up your primary and secondary, leaving you with a knife and less importance to be spotted. It will reduce the reliability of the darklight-flashlight, but you wont have a infiltrator uncloaking and then shooting you in the back, 25 meters away.

I did already mention that it would make the darklight mechanic more complex, in the sense you dont have the "you get what you see" effect.
  8. Devilllike

you do realise that the other knife they offer is stronger if you know how to play yes?
  9. ciider

If you see things like that i understand your concern, i find the non-standard knives weaker. The hitboxes is horrible on those knives, the standard knife have the better quick knife attack.
  10. Devilllike

No they are not horrible they are MADE like that because they can one hit you,they added the delay for a reason i tell you that as i have auraxiumed the knife

If you use it smartly you can take out anybody and concidering you will have all the time in the world its the most dangerous weapon there is,concider that i auraxiume the knife long long ago so i know what i am saying and i love playing with that stuff but giving an infiltrator a 1 hit silent weapon and infinite cloack i think its kind of too much...especially if you concider the fact that they can still cap a place and nobody can see them and if you know how to jump on places and walls that nobody would guess you could go then u have more than a major advantage
  11. HadesR

It's purpose isn't to counter the guy because he has a knife .. It's purpose is to counter the ability to sit nigh on invisible and annoy the hell out of people by playing flip a cap point wack - a - mole ..

So yup I'd agree with your idea WHEN infi's ability to cap points while cloaked is removed ...

Ofc IMO the one hit kill knives could also do with being looked at .. They can be used in a way that leaves them virtually silent , and the noise was the balancing aspect to their OHK ability ..
    • Up x 1
  12. eldarfalcongravtank

oh hell NO!

if i equip darklight on my guns, i am giving up a lot of effectiveness already by forgoing lasersight/foregrip which increase accuracy. it would just be terrible if darklight didnt work on half of the infiltrators because they decided to equip an anti-darklight perk.

the cloak itself is extremely powerful already, especially stalker which can stay cloaked infinitely. if this wasnt bad enough already, an activated darklight gives you away so quickly since enemies see your light cone from pretty far away. it's not like darklight is overpowered and overused anyway, i dont understand why they would add a counter to it at all...
    • Up x 2
  13. ciider

I did notice the last bit of your quote, but i actually said that darklight-flashlight was to counter infiltrators with primary perhaps even secondary weapons, so not knives.

If you want high efficiency, only the standard knife with reliability will work. That leaves the other knife as underpowered. No doubt.

By equipping suggested perk, you have no primary or secondary, i did agree it adds inconsistency to the darklight-flashlight making it more complex then already is. My point was that knives are not competitive, having the perk allows for a special playstyle for a knife-only.
    It seems like a missed opportunity to me when we already have this futuristic setting, not having a proper reliable stealth tool for knife fun.
  14. Jac70

I think Stalker cloak is very strong already so an implant or method to negate Darklight would be a bad idea. Darklight is very rare anyhow and is mostly used only when a pesky Inf is hiding on point. Plus the person using the Darklight is at a disadvantge against the Inf because the Inf is aware of their approach and some secondariness are as good as primaries anyway. Like the TR Amp for example.

I would go so far as to say a Stalker Inf should only be able to equpi a knife.
  15. Taemien

To not be visible to darklight is easy. Don't cloak, and hide behind a box, wall, or crate.

Daybreak really needs to change the name of Cloak to Active Camouflage. People think this is Star Trek or Dungeons and Dragons.
  16. ciider

Yea i suppose.
  17. Plastikfrosch

you can a) still shoot around until you hit him or b) throw emps (even if he has emp shield he will glow up) to get him.
  18. Devilllike

Both are a waste of time and exposing your position if by mistake u fire and you get ur guard down u can get killed easly plus dont forget they can still move when crouched and the radars cant get him just saying plus emp nade is just for a moment have did u ever find a good stalker?
  19. Plastikfrosch

simple solution, an infiltrator with the ability suggested by the op could be unable to capture points like a maxunit.
    1. it would not be unfair anymore that he cant be detected by darklight.
    2. the infiltrator wouldnt be revealed by the "contested" on top of the screen and he could sneak up on the clueless defenders (and because he only has a knife it would still be fair enough)
  20. IronMouse

God, no.