Infantry weapon changes - 12/12/2013

Discussion in 'Test Server: Announcements' started by joshua, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Zazen

Glorious change to LMG's. If you've ever played Vanu on Waterson you know how hard it is to get anyone to play Engie or Medic. 90% either HA with SVA-88/Orion or Infil w/ Sirius. Hopefully, the carbines and AR's will be attractive enough to get players playing all the classes.
  2. starecrow

Does that include the NS weapons? They hardly classify as close range.
  3. Koldorn

One already suffers a pretty darn steep velocity penalty as is. (Comparative to its same category weapons, based on all other NS weapons average velocity against their matching weapons.)

In short, I'm a broken record. Can we get this re-evaluated?
    Reference on Bullet Velocity across NS weapons in their respective categories:
    NS-15M: 640m/s 1st place in LMGs (Tied with the T16 and Ursa)
    NS-11A: 640m/s 2nd place in ARs (-10 from the Gauss, +10 from the CME)
    NS-11C: 450m/s 17th place in Carbines (Tied with the Lynx, only slightly above the Serpent)
    NS-44 Commissioner: 450m/s 1st in Pistols
    NS-7PDW: 400m/s 1st place in SMGs (Tied with the Sirius)
  4. vanu123

I think the sniper rifles should be 200 tops, I don't like snipers taking pot shots from long range not helping their team. The heavy assaults should have a slight advantage over other infantry classes, and I mean just that slight. If engineers and medics start to outgun heavies it would become a major issue and could break the class system.
    • Up x 3
  5. SnipersUnion

I cant tell you how happy I am with this change. We had a very long thread about the sniper Rifles in the Infiltrator forums and not one person came up with the idea the dev's have gone with here, myself included. Choosing the right rifle for the right range the way we do with scopes is a really good idea, especially considering the more powerful rifles have longer reload times.

My only suggestion would be to reduce the second tier of rifles to 750 certs instead of 1000?

Anyway, I was beginning to lose a lot of faith in SOE listening to the PS2 community - Those fears have been put to rest with this update. These are great steps in continuing PS2 as a UNIQUE fpser.

MUCH LOVE!!!
    • Up x 8
  6. Jeslis

So.. are Heavies only supposed to ADS?.. and what other then the SVA88 has the .75x ADS penalty?
  7. DeadliestMoon

So sniper rifles should be the only counter to sniper rifles. Yeah, that's totally balanced for people who don't like using sniper rifles.....

If there was a suit slot that removed the headshot multiplier and did nothing else, I'd take that in a heart beat. I do not like getting headshotted from out of nowhere.
    • Up x 5
  8. Nintyuk

Aren't they the weapons that had their scope sway removed?
  9. Nintyuk

How? HA's are not necessarily supposed to be the best combat class in the game. Their supposed to be Powerful and be the only class truly dedicated to AV roles but LA's are supposed to be more the general Infantry combat class with engineers being on par with them in direct combat and medics being better at longer ranges, The HA was always supposed to be midline fighters with their LMG's as LMG's are a support fire weapon that isn't built for rapid pace point to point combat but more sustained fire from cover across open space.
    • Up x 4
  10. Kaizer

Ah, I'm not sure what gave me the impression that the render distance was 400 meters.

See, I use the Ghost and usually fight within a 10-100 meter range. So while the initial nerf didn't personally affect my preferred gameplay, I was compelled to defend against what I personally thought was a stupid design decision (150m OHK cap). In light of the recent change I guess that sounds reasonable, yet further testing is definitely necessary.
  11. AnuErebus

Enjoying most of the changes I've seen. As an Infil I was happy at the idea of guaranteed headshots within 150m but these changes are even more exciting. I'm now just hoping the semi-autos get an appropriate buff as well. The close range semi-auto sniper no sway is the one change I've seen so far and it's a step in the right direction but that cone of fire/bloom still could use an adjustment. THe Long range semi-autos meanwhile are actually losing their one role with the bolt-action changes which was double-tapping nanoweave users at range. Could use an adjustment to make it better against moving targets. The scout rifles as well could use something, velocity and or rate of fire buff are the two things that come to mind the most where those rifles are concerned.
  12. z1967

Yes, thanks SOE for the sniper change. It seems pretty fair to me since it gives incentive to buy higher tier rifles (more money for you if they go the SC route, which I might).
    Yeah, that would be cool. Rank one negates damage multiplier to head down to 1.9x, then the final level is at 6 with 1.4x being the multiplier. Allowing you to survive many more headshots from normal infantry weapons and sniper rifles. However, it should not negate headshots entirely as that is a high skill sort of killing. More could be done over it.
  13. Killbot

Please do not do this for NC6 Gauss Saw. It is awful as it is firing from the hip, even with laser sights. I understand doing this to the other guns even the EM1 and Anchor but it makes no sense to do this to the NC6 since it could miss the broadside of a sunderer at point blank range if you are firing from the hip.
  14. ForeverAflame

Abstract: LMG need to be worse at hip fire (because of their size and weight), so these changes are good, but the long-range LMG must be much better at ADS with scopes because they aren't effective in their intended role right now.

Is the following statement true? "It seems like the developers are pursuing these changes to effect greater short range/long range balance."

Short-range combat in this game is fun and common, but long-range combat is frustrating and unhelpful to the squad.

I say this because I want to be successful as a long-range support warrior, especially as a heavy assault trooper. However, as it stands the long-range LMG are largely unusable at long range with higher-power scopes like 3.4x and above. Those guns' recoil throws off a player's aim a disproportionate amount while looking through those scopes, even when they have compensators and foregrips/advanced foregrips equipped.

I want to be able to kill with my Rhino at 55 to 75 yards or with my TMG-50 at 40 to 60 yards, not just get the occasional assist. Their hip-fire accuracy is already bad, and I recognize that it's supposed to be bad, but I don't want the PS2 developers to make it worse without acknowledging and addressing this issue with those long-range guns vis à vis their role and effectiveness in it.
    • Up x 6
  15. Killbot

I can't speak for the other empires guns, but if it sucks at hipfiring as it is they shouldn't nerf it more. They should just nerf the LMGs that are over performing at firing from the hip.
  16. nanu

same here, with lowscopes(1x/2x) it requires much more aimaccuracy to hit someone at range, similar to the old 10.000 infantry renderdistance. with smgs there is no use for shortrangeboltaction(0m-20m). using boltaction gave the ability to hit enemys(standing still/luck) which smgs/carbines/semiauto/auto cant do by definition.
    not being able to do so makes the use of shortrangeboltaction useless, no 1shotkill, manuelreload, rescope, (after patch) less damage{1shotkill}, faster reload.
    having the highest dps of boltaction renders weapons like "ghost" by timetoshot+reloadtime and 2x scope is the only reason to ever use it.
    not being able to longrangekill enemys anyway, forces the use of longrange boltactionrifles.:mad:
  17. chrollo

please don't touch my carnage br, its honestly the only reason to play NC, or this game period, if you change it I don't think I will play
  18. Tenebrae Aeterna

To SOE:

You crafty crew you... You managed to work things out for us while simultaneously making it lucrative for snipers to purchase every rifle if they want to be versatile and capable of engaging the enemy at every range more efficiently. Excellent, and extremely intelligent, work...truly.

I don't believe that this could have been done any better.

To keep this short, take a look at my signature thread regarding long ranged sniping. With the optimization updates, and the Nanoweave issue resolved, long ranged snipers should finally be able to hone in their skills and perform their role without problem if they actually develop the skill required.

There's several things you can do...
    1. Flank the sniper and get into a range where your weapon is drastically superior.
    2. Communicate with your faction and let a counter-sniper, vehicle, or aircraft know of our general position.
    3. Dance around and giggle while we waste ammunition trying to take you out, if we waste time...it essentially equates to a kill.
    For further information on that last bit, refer to the thread within my signature. If a sniper wastes time, their score per minute drops and essentially equates to a death. Time is the only punishment in this game, for run and gun oriented players...it's the time you lose when you die. For snipers, especially long ranged, we have time sinks incorporated into our entire system and have to wait for you to make yourself a lucrative target. If you're constantly on the move, you shouldn't have nearly as many problems with snipers...especially now that they fixed a hit box error that made chest shots register as head shots during some running sequences.

If you make us waste time...you HAVE awarded us the same punishment a death awards you. It might not feel as good for you, but it's just as frustrating for us.
    • Up x 8
  19. Hoki

Seriously? If someone headshots me with a Ghost at 300 meters I will award them 1000 SC

You guys are being ridiculous. Just tell the devs that are worried about the

:eek::eek::eek: BOLT ACTION HEADSHOT APOCALYPSE:eek::eek::eek:

to shush and calm the F down.

At those ranges its completely unnecessary and just makes you look silly.
  20. vanu123

Engineers are the best vehicle & anti vehicle class in the game, followed by LA against clueless vehicles that dont look up, and then HA. I disagree, HA are meant to be the front line soldiers and not in support, really the only weapon out of each empire for HA that is any good at a support type role is the lasher.
    • Up x 3