Infantry Render Distance

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Crayv, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Crayv

Haven't had a chance to really test but I noticed a few players rendering far beyond the 300M render range.

[IMG]

That infil is standing next to an ammo tower that is roughly 450 meters away.

[IMG]

[IMG]

And there he is on the map after I spotted him.

Anyone else noticed this or was it just a rare bug?
  2. z1967

Did they bump up the render range? This changes a lot of things, might need a Vanu Labs video on it for clarification in video format (or a dev post on twitter, whatever floats your boat).
  3. iller

It was certainly something Higby had mentioned almost a year and a half ago that they were considering.
    ...assuming this specific to 10x - 12x scopes. Really serves no purpose other than for Spotting since we can't really OHK anyone with a BASR beyond 330m AFAIK. Tank rounds also drop more than they did at launch so who knows what the point of it was?

But it does make VR room testing .... more consistent so yay for that?
  4. FunkFest

I felt like I could see everything at about the same range all day, air was a bit further but not much. Wasn't sure if it was just me being derpy or if it was extended render range.
  5. BloodyPuma

Yep, render range GREATLY improved. Been sniping from the furthest cliff of Broken Arch Road - engies repairing AA turrets on the top of the techplant. 4-5 bodyshots to kill or 2 x headshot to kill wkich is no brainer cause max tier BASR locks min damage at 400 meters.
  6. uhlan

I noticed render range for distant targets was improved, but closer objects randomly pop into view.
    • Up x 1
  7. Surt

It's a miracle.
    • Up x 1
  8. Cz4rMike

Honestly, it makes sense to me.

Render distance shouldn't be tied to your real distance from your enemy, but to your FOV or magnification. While using 12x scopes your FOV is times smaller than unscoped. So you're "closer" to your enemy. My intuition tells that for 12x scope, should be the 12x bigger render distance. Basically scope in - enemies pop out (you're getting "closer" to the enemy), scope out - enemies vanish ;)

EDIT: but ofc, in reality, there is probably some real hard cap for render distance and the scaling of render distance is not really proportional to magnification.
    • Up x 1
  9. Stromberg

that would make you be able to snipe ppl without any danger getting shot back at ...
  10. Sn@1L

hah! strom's right. That would be funny as **** though. ADS peekaboo.
  11. QuantumSerpent

Ever seen a guy with an automatic trying to hit a sniper at 300m? They *might* pull it off with a Battle Rifle or TR's SABR-13, but as soon as that first (non-OHK) round hit, the sniper would cloak and move.

Now scale that up to... let's assume automatic-guy is weird and has a 4x... 1200m. Good luck. It would be hard to hit someone with a T3 BASR at that distance.

And if someone can actually hit things at (x12) 3600m, they deserve immunity.
  12. eldarfalcongravtank

render distance increased? that would explain the worse performance post-patch. still, some confirmation/testing on this would be cool
  13. iller

Being a sniper actually feels like being a sniper now. Even though some targets are so far away they won't die.

Hope they don't ever revert this completely. My only complaint is at extreme distances, I'm seeing no animation, just "reference poses".
    Also known as "Civ mode"
  14. Cz4rMike

Well, yes, that's exactly how it is... Unless you're being countersniped by a sniper or a tank. I don't see anything wrong in here.
  15. iller

And again, we're not going to actually OHK anyone at that distance either. Even with the Railjack, it takes atleast a headshot then a body shot. 2 consecutive hits at that extreme of a range is .... welll, let's just if you die that way, then that sniper totes earned that kill
  16. Cz4rMike

yep. That's really hilarious. Headshot from a BASR should be one shot kill at any distance...
  17. QuantumSerpent

Well, maybe not on the T1s, else they'd probably outmatch the T2s... but I agree on the T3s and Directive BASRs. I mean really, it's a .50-caliber sniper rifle...
  18. BloodyPuma

Railjack can OHK infiltrator at any distance. Even "civ pose" range. 450 dmg x 2.1 multiplayer is more then enough.
    Sadly, only NC can play with it.
  19. iller

if we made a list of all the things that OHK us, and only us....
  20. Sn@1L

Im' glad that I'm not the only one that thinks it's ridiculous that we dont have OHK's w/ .50 caliber sniper rifles at all ranges. Cause it is. Body damage fall off? sure....but face shooting an mf'er is different.