Infantry Anti vehicle and Anti Air don’t work

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OneShadowWarrior, Mar 25, 2022.

1. OneShadowWarrior

He who zergs with the most vehicles and air wins, your spawn camped when superior numbers hit. In theory, nerfing all the anti vehicle and anti air weapons at distance was nobel, but being stuck in a spawn room with a vehicle capable of sitting right at a doorway with no ability to pose a threat is ridiculous.

Ok great, 30 people have to shoot at 1 vehicle to take it down, team tactics of such AV/AA wespons don’t work when you can put just as many vehicles in close to camp one doorway. I’d rather take one Javelin missle, because at least I know a tank will go down. It takes to long to lock on, if it even works and I am not saying we have to destroy everything at distance instantly, but to be less than 10 meters away unless you carry C4 is a bit much.

Why did I buy any of these AV or AA weapons, they aren’t doing there job. It takes to long for the weapons to be effective in close. Most vehicle campers know it’s a joke and will attack you with limited feeling of threats when the numbers and distance by being smothered is used against you.
    • Up x 3
  2. Demigan

The range nerf was so vehicles wouldnt be shot by unrendered infantry and wouldnt be able to retaliate*. So now infantry sometimes does not have the range to hit a vehicle. And when they do have the range, vehicles still have a longer effective range.

I think we need a bunch of new utilities with AA and AV in mind. Nanites kill nanites. You can have 2 categories with 2 subcategories: one-time use (like grenades or C4) and lifelong use (equipable like a MAX, unlike a MAX it would simply replace whatever is in the utility slot and not the class, lost when you die). Lifelong variant would overall be less powerful than one-time-use but make up for it in consistency.
    This divided in subcategories of lethal (a LAW launcher), non-lethal (reduces tank effectiveness to aim or move, provides protection etc).

You can quickly make a bunch of weapons and abilities:
    - LAW launcher
    - various grenade launchers
    - a deployable mortar with laser designator to aim and fire it (so the mortar might fire out if its LOS but the player who shot it was visible)
    - a distortion field generator, farther away creates more distortion, close range almost no distortion.
    - deployable vehicle shield (blocks all AV weapons and enemy vehicles, not friendly vehicles)
    - thermite charge (DOT to target, can be removed by shooting it or repairgun)
    - glue sprayer. Slows down vehicles and their turret turn ratio's when caught in it.
    - glue rocket. Rocketlauncher meant to nerf vehicles and make it safer to pass.
    - acid sprayer. DOT to whatever it hits, prevents optics from being used.
    - Flakmine. If aircraft pass over too low, it fires its payload.
    - EM flare. Any optics looking into the direction of the flare will be distorted. Can be fired into the air where it will float down or to the ground.

Many of these can have a one-time use and lifelong variant. Naturally many of these would also allow you to carry multiple magazines/uses.

*something already solved by the dynamic rendering which renders anyone wielding AV/AA weapons at longer ranges.
  3. OneShadowWarrior

Elements from the first Planetside would help.

EMP grenades that actually jammed vehicles, cloakers that could actually hack vehicles, mines with EMP that jammed vehicles, cerebrus turrets engineers could put down that fired flak, thumpers even fired emp nades that jammed vehicles in close.
    • Up x 1
  4. Demigan

While good I would add some rules. For example:
    "Jamming" should not be a complete shutdown of the vehicle (no idea how PS1 handled this).
    Hacking vehicles should only be possible on empty, non-deployed vehicles. Vehicles with players in them could be stolen only if a warning is played and there is enough time to react. Also my preference would be to make hacking a utility item available to all classes, rather than just something the Infiltrator can do. Hacked vehicles should also get a repaint to signify their change in allegiance.

Also no more automatic extra turrets. A deployable manned flak turret? Sure, but no Spitfire-like flak turrets. And i would prefer it to not use flak, but be a skillful weapon instead. If it's flak then it'll just get nerfed into oblivion to ensure aircraft can always survive similar to how regular AA turrets on bases have been gutted.
  5. OneShadowWarrior

Actually the vehicles could only be hacked if they were empty, until advanced hacking was changed then they could be hacked while occupied. Of course hacking was only available to infiltrators, infils in PS1 could also carry C4, but they called them boomers back then. It used to be hilarious hacking a ams as a cloaker and driving off with it.

The cerebrus turrets was a deployable like the spitfire. It helped alot as a detectable, How many of us have been shot by a unknown aircraft that wee could not see or even worst not hear approach, due to subpar sound physics? Or game lag, the shots hits you before you can react or were aware of it? The Cerebrus turrets did help as a buffer for aircraft in certain situations to counter air or make you aware of their approach.

The EMPs just disabled gun temporarily for, they could still drive off or fly away. It was funny when you used to take their ability away to camp outside a doorway. They were more wary of moving in close.
  6. BlackFox

Having different destroyable vehicle parts could help, like being able to disable tracks, engines or the turret ring with effects on the tank. I know, very complex but let's keep it as thought for a Planetside 3 XD

The easiest way to bring more balance in would simply be to make the rockets/missiles faster and reducing their projectile drop - it's the damn future but most launchers feel like M1 Bazookas or worse - like a PIAT. Being able to hit from greater distances without massive leading and correcting would at least enable less skilled players to counter vehicles better without having to rely on veterans or getting dangerously close to the enemy.

For air: Simply buff the damage of every AA weapon ingame, it's there to destroy aircraft and not to just "shoo" them away.
  7. RabidIBM

Another angle on how to fix this could be with base design. I know I bring this up a lot but generally multiple control points makes a better base. If the spawn room and teleporter room have multiple exits then conditions could be created where one of the 3 control points can be defended without ever going outdoors. This would create a prolonged siege situation, which the attackers win eventually unless the defenders come up with something to break the siege. I feel like this is a reasonable balance, as slightly favoring attackers in a stalemate means the battle eventually moves.

As an example, look at Lithcorp Fortress on Amerish. If the center were built up a bit more and tunnels added from each spawn point then a fully enclosed control point could be in the center. Then vehcile capture point could be put at the base of the outer ramparts. This way the defenders have to actually break out of the fort to get B and C back, but the attackers don't really want to sit there if there are defenders on the walls. If the attackers gain control of the exterior and knock out the gate shields then they will control 2/3 points for an eventual win.
  8. OneShadowWarrior

Great point Blackfox, they nerf the anti vehicle and anti air way to much. The lockons did to good of a job, but they did double whamy when the increased lockon times, nerfed the rockets and decreased the distance. It was overkill, like they always have done. What drives me nuts is how close they can be and you can’t do nothing but eat it.

Rabid, great points on base designs, I always wished they got rid of the limited zones on construction bases and allowed us to fill in the gaps with deployables, even alternative spawning points with the spawning tubes would spice it up at bases. The one point only to spawn at a base can often get repetitive with no ability to defend let alone mount an offensive with cramped bases, open areas the you can’t defend from and only takes hits.
  9. RabidIBM

I don't know that I would completely get rid of no-build zones, Wellerman got a bit weird on Oshur. However, they could be a lot smaller.

As for the base layout, the troops who go to the infantry exclusive point aren't meant to be there forever, they're a hold out until some other form of back up arrives.