In what game can a buggy beat a tank

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by gunnner10, Jul 31, 2015.

1. ezaroo

You need to try out the Enforcer or the Saron... The only reason you don't see whole convoys of these driving around melting everything is because you haven't worked out how good they are... Much like ravens and ppas and lots of other weapons went unchanged for months or even over a year before people realised they were very good...

The Saron is especially fantastic... It can do the damage of about half a vulcan mag but in a second... Allowing you to run away. The vulcan requires you to hang around the target because the spin up time significantly lowers your dps. The ttk of these 3 weapons are basically the same, the enforcer and Saron actually allow more hit and run than the vulcan which is but and circle.

In short the Vulcan is the worst of the 3 weapons and just seems better because more people use it... The advantage it has is even if you can't aim you can still be 80% effective with it where with the other two if you can't aim you are useless.

But a harrasser even the best crews will not beat an equally skilled mbt crew... They would need one other harrasser to do that with any confidence and even then if the tank hits one then it is out of the game.

Again harassers are better vs prowlers than other tanks as well due to the fact it needs to land two hits to set it on fire where the mag and vanguard only need to land one. If you add to that the fact half of prowlers are locked down and begging for some rear entry action then you realise you are talking nonsense...
    • Up x 1
  2. Liewec123

did i say they couldn't kill tanks? no, i said they couldn't SOLO tanks.
    you'd fully expect the 2 long range weapons to have higher KPU than the close range one, since the long range ones can sit back safely with the rest of the army and pick off target after target, while the short range one should be dying fairly fast.

the fact that your buggy is swerving around the enemy tanks and still scoring a similar KPU to the NC and VS ones that are hanging a mile back just helps reinforce just how strong it is.

i'll admit to talking nonsense when i see an NC/VS harasser melt a deployed shield sundy in seconds.
  3. eldarfalcongravtank

dayum looks fine as hell! i want to have this in my bed and pet it
  4. Jubikus

Why should it die fairly fast? because its closer? it kind of has to be with the spread of the weapon so why shouldn't it preform just as well as is counterparts? I guess it doesnt matter when the new weapons drop as the NC/VS will be running circles around bad tank drivers and TR will be doing it from the hills because they will finally have some reliable long range AV because they can pull it from any base unlike the prowler.
  5. AlterEgo

Don't mean to offend you, but the final sentence is THE sum-up of every single weapon the VS has ever used. Just wanted to point it out.
  6. Jubikus

Yeah the VS do seem to be a kind of 1 weapon faction but my point there was more of its used to make up for the poor infantry AV in the form of the Fractures and striker But as long as both our factions win more alerts than the NC i guess were not allowed to have as much of a well rounded arsenal as they have.
    • Up x 1
  7. Liewec123

you should try pounders, i've locked down on a biolab landing pad and killed a sunderer driving near one of the bases in the next region over, they're very accurate once you learn the drop and velocity.
    after Ravens, pounders are probably my second favourite max weapon. :)
  8. Jubikus

Punders are decent and with a height advantage of being on a biolab im not suprised you took out a sundy in the next region and they work well against infantry but when it comes to long range AV without a height advantage like a biolab or hill Fractures and pounders dont do well because of the simple lack of a reliability mechanic in the form of the NC guidance and VS velocity. It has been suggested to give them a Coyote effect which would make sense since the faction flavor of the rocket launchers are NC-Guidance VS-Velocity and TR- Coyote but i dont know if they have any plans for this and if they do lets hope they dont completely negate the benefit like they do with the Striker by giving it a ridicules COF.
  9. ZeroRyoko

I actually avoid fighting TR in armor battles anywhere there is open ground because of Vulcan Harassers, and in any fight with TR if I notice several Harassers I either leave by driving or bail and respawn for some infantry-side instead of getting popped for free certs in my Magrider.
  10. ColonelChingles

To be fair, modern tanks may be equipped with something like Shtora, which can reduce the hit-probability of the laser-guided Hellfire by 4-5 times. It can also give early warning of being targeted by a laser, as well as auto-aim the gun at the source of the laser.

Plus it makes your tank look rather evil with glowy eyes!

[IMG]

If fired from a vehicle about the same elevation as the tank (and increasingly these systems can deal with top-attack munitions), then a hard-kill type of active protection comes into play... like the Arena. It uses a small explosion to seriously damage the HEAT warheads of common ATGMs. Because these weapons are all variants of a shaped charge, destroying or deforming that shape greatly reduces the ability of the warhead to cut through armour.

Though Arena doesn't look nearly as impressive, just a bunch of tubes and panels:

[IMG]

The most recent Afghanit prototype for the T-14 series is naturally even more evolved than its predecessors.

[IMG]

Although TOWs can be similarly defeated against modern MBT defenses like the ones mentioned above. The Shtora system can release smoke which visually obscures the vehicle, making targeting difficult. It can also "hijack" the missile by using a special light that mimicks the one found on the back of the TOW missile that is used for guidance. In other words the launcher will keep telling the missile to go right because the launcher thinks that the missile is too far left when reality the missile was in the right place all along!

So against less-defended tanks things like TOWs and Hellfires are effective, but against modern tanks fitted with active protection systems, these weapons become much less effective.
  11. AlterEgo

Exactly. Whereareas the NC may not have a single OP weapon (excluding the infamous SCREEE rockets), their arsenal is simply amazing. The same can not be said for the TR and VS, which is why a faction diversity update could serve to seriously enhance empire flavor, something this game simply needs after better optimization (in my opinion, of course).
  12. Takara

Strangely...so do tanks in this game. They also have stealth armor...and fire suppression. One tank can even make itself invulnerable for a short time.
  13. CNR4806

I'm of the opinion that in the current state of the game, the relationship between ground vehicles and infantry is the most troublesome, followed by air-land balance, and with balance between different ground vehicles being one of the least problematic things.
  14. ColonelChingles

I think though if you think of the Engineer AV MANA Turret as a "TOW" missile launcher (for all intents and purposes it functions very close to standard TOW missiles), tanks actually don't have much of this ability.

Sure tanks in PS2 can launch smoke, but smoke is easily defeated by either adjusting graphical settings or simply using the "Q" spotting mechanic. In real life smoke (grenades or through exhaust) is relatively effective against standard TOWs.

Tanks in PS2 do not get early warning alarms when targeted by an AV MANA Turret. Whereas in real life the position would be known to all tanks in the area.

Tanks in PS2 cannot jam incoming TOW missiles, forcing such missiles to veer off course.

Tanks in PS2 cannot intercept incoming TOW missiles with a hard-kill active defense system, neutralizing the missile (while sending their own missile back at the enemy or an HE shell if closer).

Even if the tank returns fire, tanks in PS2 do not have access to massive air-burst HE shells which could kill an ATGM team that was behind cover or in concealment.

Finally in PS2 all it takes is one infantry person to fire an unlimited number of TOW missiles from an unlimited number of launchers... meaning that there are far more ATGM threats on the battlefield then there should reasonably be.

Really anytime someone decides to deploy and AV MANA Turret or pull a rocket launcher it should cost nanites.
  15. placeholder22

The problem with the harasser is very simple: It is too tough. Agility and Armor are intertwined - if you have armor, you can't be fast and agile, and if you are fast and agile, you can't have armor. Similarly how hitpoints and size are intertwined - if you are big, you have lots of hitpoints, and if you're small, you have few hitpoints. The harasser is the fastest ground vehicle, it shouldn't have ANY armor or resistances. Any hit, even with small arms, should potentially harm and kill the crew. Any hand held rocket launcher hit should toast the crew instantly. Any HMG should shred it in split-seconds. Any tank round would punch through the buggys hull as if it wasn't there and just kill every crewmen in its path.

Instead, we have tank rounds travelling at 200m/s which is only barely faster than the buggy itself, and don't kill it, the buggy survives 1 block of C4, survives tank mines because they don't explode quickly enough, and whole platoons direct firing with small arms barely bother the buggy, the lightning AP requires 3-4 direct hits, and the basilisk is so weak it doesn't do enough damage to anything not to allow it to flee. Add to that that it doesn't even have a weak spot like the tanks do and are literally weaker there than the buggy overall and combine it with the buggys ability zap behind a tank and immediately unload its armament into its back, you have a vehicle that is far more survivable than any other ground option.

It is seriously far too tough. Too many hitpoints for its size, too much armor (especially against HMG) Given how fast and agile it is. And too much firepower for how cheap it is.

Also there's the issue that the Vulcan is basically better at everything than every other secondary. And given that its weakness is "range" and you stick it to a nigh-indestructible buggy that can close the distance to everything in a second - and get away too thanks to built-in turbo - you have an annoyingly OP combo. It's not as bad as when the buggy was new and composite armor literally made it tougher than a lightning. There are many other balance issues in the game, but the harasser needs to lose its resistances, fast.

-
    • Up x 2