In defense of the HA's Instant-Win shield

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by M4L4CH1TE, Apr 9, 2014.

1. BlueSeventy

A heavy with a shield on. Takes 2-3 more bullets to kill depending on the gun you're using. Learn to headshot. Stop Whining.
  2. BlueSeventy

And overall, a heavy takes anywhere from 5 to 7 shots to the head to kill. When you factor in the ridiculously high DPS and low recoil of guns such as the GD-7F, Serpent, Anchor, Orion, CARV, etc... If you get the jump you win.

If you don't get the jump and have slightly better aim... you win. Stop asking to be spoonfed, heavies are already quite balanced in their current state.

If you look at this http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/VanuVelvet , it shows my k/d with medic is very similar to my k/d as heavy. The only difference is a slight difference in kills per hour, simply because the shield gives me a little more uptime.

Seriously. Look very closely at this website, look at all the weapons, and factor in that the NMG/Adrenaline shields only give 650 hp. Resist Gives 500 HP and a constant -50% damage and DOES NOT get any benefits from NanoWeave Armor anymore! NMG/Adrenaline stick get the buff from nanoweave, but nanoweave DOES NOT protect against headshots. NEITHER DO NMG/ADREN-SHIELD. So in any case, a heavy assault is at no time running around with "3000 hp and resto kits farming people" as I read earlier.

People need to learn to put themselves in good situations or pay the price. Same with aim. I guarantee you there's an outfit for you developing players that will take you in and do some infantry training to practice the basics so you don't complain with your uneducated opinions on the forums, even though I highly doubt anyone takes these forums seriously in the first place.

Below are the codes needed to register for the stats site. Keep in mind, this site does not count revives. A death is a death, and will lower your k/d, even if you were ressed immediately afterwards. It also tracks your accuracy and such in a much more comprehensive way, as well as comparing you to the rest of the players in the game through a grade system.

PH83-AV5L-07TQ-0C1NX
    NN98-TY2E-44MD-5Q7VP
    KS83-PV9C-77WT-9B1KN
    PX31-BL3C-25FI-1U6RO
    UV94-EI9K-71ON-4U6AC
  3. RockPlanetSide2

Nerd Stats =/= what goes on in game. Nerd Stats are deceiving to the slow minded because they believe they represent all possible contingencies... they don't. Stats are bogged down by bad players easily and there are a lot of them. Trying to actually explain statistics to you would be POINTLESS. An HA winning several 1v1s then dying to a tank while firing rockets effects your Nerd Stats, but your brain is obviously thinking that it just means that HA's die in 1v1s all the time.

Latency and Clientside are also HUGE factors in the abuse of the HA shield as well... it's an elephant in the room and only stupid kids and the ignorant ignore how large of an issue it is. It's hard to understand why "clientside" is such a huge factor with HA shields, but again what is the point in explaining it when all you get is deer in headlights from people :p.

We are not playing on a LAN, "but it goes both ways, DUUUUUUR!"... not when you have 2x normal health.

And again, some of you keep acting like the choice has not already been made... it has, by players better than "you" (not saying that to be mean, but its a FACT) and SOE understanding it was a problem... only morons think the change came about because "whining". Forumside = entertainment, that is it... bend it around your huge head or whatever.
  4. BlueSeventy

Sorry, what's your in-game name? Just want to know who I'm talking to here. And "Nerd" stats do count. Clientside and latency matters a lot yes, but in varying degrees for a bunch of people. I get killed all the time behind walls and such, but when I aim somewhere the bullets hit that location. There's a reason people look at metrics when recruiting for top outfits. Then again, I just believe you're an extremely brilliant troll, so why am I bothering, :p

On an aside, your points make no sense and are kind of half-*****. Trying to explain to me would be pointless? I've already wasted my time on what most people consider to be the cesspool of bad ideas pertaining to this game- simply because I try to avoid the reddit drama. So please, take your time, if you have something worth saying.
  5. Pathogenic

Man. I was about to reply to RockPlanetSide2, but lol. Not a team game? Sorry that no one likes you, but I play with a team almost always.

I think the NMG change will either be ineffective or overnerf it, given my faith in gaming companies in general, but either way I don't honestly care. The problem with the NMG is it's boring. Boring boring boring. The resist shield is a much better defensive option when you're not being a tardrambo in whatever game the above poster is playing. The adrenaline shield fills the NMG role with a much more interesting mechanic, though I wouldn't mind seeing that sort of reversed (No charge until you kill, but the energy can be burned to fill your actual shields and health. No impact at all 1v1, but potential to make or break fights in teamplay.)
  6. M4L4CH1TE

Well said, Pathogenic!
    If you are not a team player then I'm sure the world looks bleaker and if you don't play with a team I think A) You are doing it the hard way, and B) You should probably find find another game and set of forums to comment on.
  7. Stormsinger

His name will be heavy weapons guy, and THIS... is his weapon.
    She weighs 150 kilograms and fires 200 Cert custom-tooled cartridges at 10,000 rounds per minute. [leans in] It cost 400,000 station cash to fire this weapon...for 12 seconds.

[IMG]

Post nerf, all he'll need is a spiffy hat.
    • Up x 2
  8. TheTickles

This will be my last response to you as I tend to stop taking anyone seriously the moment they resort to insulting peoples intelligence as a method of debate. That is a sure sign that the person has no stable ground to stand on so they have to do what they can to discredit their opponent.

1. I am not certain what his weaponry contributes to your side of the argument. Yes he is devastating in close quarters combat because of this. That is because he IS a close quarters class. If you are not an HA yourself expecting to win against one in face to face CQC is not very realistic. Still possible but you are in his domain. Expecting that kind of result would be like an HA expecting to win a long range fight with a infiltrator. Possible but the infil has a distinct advantage.

2. Max's do lead the way in impossible fights. Mostly due to the enemy pulling max's as well. You cannot expect to beat maxs in a biolab without having maxs yourself. Just like you cannot expect to beat a HA without being an HA or a MAX yourself in CQC. Thanks for making my point for me.

3. A delay. The moment you activate your shield two things happen that balance out the shield. You slow down to a crawl (especially in ADS) and you get a shield. Do you not see this? The slow down is what makes the shield balanced. Sure the target is more resilient. However he is no longer mobile and each moment he stands there is another bullet he takes. Unless your aim is so poor that you cannot hit a near stationary target in cqc this means he is far more likely to die. Especially if you get the jump on him and he panics and uses the shield (which more often then not gets him killed).

Add the delay and not only do you get a slow HA but a equally as squishy HA as SUPPORT classes. Not to mention he loses a ton of effectiveness as a front line soldier. What good is a shield if you cannot move into a front line battle? What good is a frontline soldier if he cannot take on ONE medic or ONE engineer?
    • Up x 1
  9. RockPlanetSide2

I'm not even saying the delay was the right decision, but something had to be done, because you can't have a no-skill option like the shield in a FPS and not expect people who don't have access to it or don't want to play with that kind of power boost not complain about it.

Max's require resources, and as much as you want to ignore that it is a huge limitation.

The slow down does not make the shield balanced... if you are standing in front of somebody and you are not a terrible player you cannot lose that 1v1, again PS2 is a FPS shooter at its core, and most people don't want to always be handicapped when they play a game.

The arguments being presented here are making it sound like HA's are the only class in the front line ever and they are somehow just absorbing all incoming fire and making it so every other infantry can just run into an enemy base unheeded... it is just nonsense. Most of the time people are spawning directly from Sundys RIGHT NEXT TO A BASE and entering bases just fine on foot, or jet-packing, or stealthing in. The only time an HA's shield really becomes an actual skillful adaption to the game is when they are inside a very small building or when they are about to enter the same small room... and they a shield delay would provide the EXACT same boon as the status quo in either of those situations... you just need small coordinated groups of HA's and you take a base room by room... and you don't need constant insta-win shields to do that.

The game would operate just fine if the HA's had no shield at all... they still bring rockets, c4 (+rockets), concussion grenades, and LMG suppressing fire to the table (just ignoring these seriously powerful options is a mistake)... the shield has become a mental crutch for so long that people think the game would EXPLODE with out it or something, or that the HA class would become worthless, or that nobody would ever be able to take a base... three completely bogus assumptions. Outside of the occasional C4, HAs are still the primary tank buster in the game... and rarely does the shield have anything to do with that at all... you would still need HA's to destroy MAXs and ManaTurrets... Medics can't do that with their Heal-Aura and rarely is C4 the deciding factor over a MAX rush - Rockets are... so, AGAIN, the shield does not really need to be in the game... it has just become a addictive drug and it will be VERY hard for people to break that addiction... or they will just delete PS2 and GO AWAY... either way, it's done and it needed to be done.
  10. TheTickles

Now that you have refrained from using insults I will continue.

No skill option? The player has to aim his weapon doesn't he? The player has to be positioned right doesn't he? He has to be aware of his surroundings doesn't he? How is a shield any less skill based then a medic who not only can regen his own health at the press of a button but all the people around him? How is a shield any less skill based then a person who can go invisible at the press of a button? How is any less skillful then being able to scale mountains and high walls by holding the jump button?

It isn't. Your still ignoring the fact that HA is limited to CQC as his effective range. You are still ignoring the fact that HA is suppose to be stronger then a SUPPORT class. Want to fight infantry on infantry in close range? Then choose HA or LA and learn how to play them. The way to beat an HA is to get the jump on him or out distance his effective range.. Which LA is equipped for as well as infil. If you lose when you start firing first and he facing 180 degree's away from you. it is not because he had a shield. It is because your aim is terrible.

Shields not having anything to do with tank busting? Last I checked (which was yesterday) a shield could save you from at least one shot from most tank shell explosions unless a direct hit. I use it all the time to prep for a close encounter with one just over the next hill. Allows me to get a shot off on him and have a better chance at survival.

Mental Crutch? ~sarcasm mode on~ If the HA does not need his shield then infil does not need cloak since he is a long range class with a suppressed sniper rifle. His distance already gives him the advantage thus the cloak is a mental crutch. ~sarcasm mode off~ See how easy it is to make a circular argument that can be applied to any class? Of course you do because your the master of circular arguments.

How can an HA be expected to stare down a MAX without an active shield? He already tears HA to shreds with it activated. Pre-activating it draws attention and starts draining it immediately. So your saying an HA should activate then crawl around a corner and die or not activate at all and hope he does not get torn to shreds when he does so? Real effective......

All your arguments are based of the assumption that all FPS games should promote "I should be able to kill you just as easily as you kill me regardless of how poorly equipped I am for the job or whether or not my class was meant for the type of fight I am in."

Which is not the case in planetside 2 and should not be the case. The point of having different class's is to fulfill different roles.
    • Up x 1
  11. Hiding in VR

Please stop, just stop. Your facts are wrong. Please bring something to this thread other than baseless opinion.
  12. Hiding in VR

I suspect that's how he plays the game, lone-wolf SMG Infiltrator.
  13. RockPlanetSide2

Ok, we disagree. I get it.

Let's move the discussion on to reality... What are you doing to do after the nerf? Are you going to just stop playing HA, do you think every single person in the game will stop playing HA... do you think the game will explode?

OR

Do you think it will operate exactly the same and the strong will adapt?
  14. TheBloodEagle

You going to say the same when your favorite class gets nerfed?
  15. TheTickles

The same thing that happens after every nerf. I will still continue to play. However I and most everyone here will know that SOE is pandering to whiners who throw their mice at the screen every time they get out played by someone else.

Balance is giving each class a specific role. They are taking a lot of HA's identity as the front line fighter when they make him squishy against ONE support class.
  16. iller

So umm..... not seeing anything in the patch notes any shield nerfs (unless you're a Vanguard :()
    Does that mean you guys get to party on another couple weeks and not worry so much about this?
    If so, Gratz guys, really happy for ya...

I'll tell ya who didn't get off so easy.... those of us relied on the Knife to finish off lagswitchers we only managed to injure with a body-shot

No I'm pretty darn sure everyone will just switch to SMG spam b/c it's far more "easy mode" than HA was and works on every single class as long as you can play keep-away from guys with Shotguns
  17. BlueSeventy

I love how you didn't respond when I asked for more detailed input and your IGN. In any case, Liberators and AP Tanks are currently the most effective AT, until the tanker is a **** tanker. Liberators less so now, and more so AV MANA and Base SPEAR Turrets. Heavy assaults have relatively slow-killing guns compared to medics and engies. And also, the change has not been implemented. It's controversial and people have persuaded the devs against this action through well-known players' streams, as well as in-game messaging (Higby squads with us every once in a while) and out (twitter, reddit, etc.). You haven't won this argument, and just because everyone views the forums as a pool of dog defecation doesn't mean you have the right to make uninformed claims and sway the sheep for your own personal benefit.
  18. Kafein

First, there are too many HA around. Whenever I hop in a fight and don't know what is going on, I go HA because I know I will be effective at all ranges against infantry, maxes, land and air vehicules. I assume everybody else does the same and that's what I see. This leaves the support classes (medic and engi) and the fun classes (LA and infil) with less population that they ought to.

I believe that the proposed changes to the overshield are excellent. They will have no impact on people that use these overshields correctly while penalising those that rely on it as a crutch. Actually, it will have an impact regardless because everybody is caught unaware once in a while, and it's in those situations that the HA shield is ludicrously OP relative to the skill required to use it. However, I think that to really balance the classes, the HA class should be redesigned completely. Most importantly, it should be split betwen two classes.

The first class would be dedicated to being a heavy assault class, capable of using LMGs, battle rifles and the ES special weapons as well as overshields and the special grenades of the heavy

The second class would be the anti-vehicule class with weaker small arms, rocket launchers, mines, possibly a deployable AA turret even.

This way, the HA wouldn't be the go-to class in every possible situation, hence it could be better at what it is supposed to be (better overshield, better lmg etc)
  19. The thinker

I still don't get what people are whining about. I have killed heaves with there shield on in every class (including heavy) I have even killed them with the pistol from each nation in almost every class (except max and heavy)

So can some one please explain to me what is wrong with the heaves shield.

and don't use it is an Iwinbutton because it is not i have killed heaves and die plenty of times as heavy with my and their shield on

Oh and not only have they added the ramp up time but last i hear they also reduce the max damage a shield can take well it looks like i will be playing as a max an infiltrator on my VS character from now on

If you ask for a nerf ask for a tiny one because SOE has a way of over doing it No offense.

Oh and just to tell you it is the only noob friendly class for the first month of this game i only played heavy sure i tried the others but i couldn't rap my head around them until later.

Now my favorite class is different for each nation I still play every class But it will become something bad if they are all the exact same in the end.

I mean really that is what is going to happen
  20. The thinker

Ignore is post ( not the one above though)