[Suggestion] Improving Weapon Lock Functionality

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nighda Venesis, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Nighda Venesis

The weapon lock system seems too simplistic and doesn't do what it's supposed to do in many if not most cases. I just logged off because it wasn't going away. I was simply doing my job as a Lasher HA at Ti Alloys. I have decided to use the Lasher for my HA Directive over Air Deterrence. If I can simply expect not to be able to play for multiple minutes, the exact time of which is not even shown to me, why should I wait?

Perhaps as a starting point or suggestion, enemy kills or maybe even just damage to enemies should remove an amount of grief points instead of allowing them to continuously accumulate even though you are just doing your job.

Thoughts?
  2. Demigan

The system is supposed to stop players from wantom killing and deliberate destruction of allied vehicles. Unfortunately it doesnt work. A player holding a doorway is punished more easily with repeated hits on people too stupid to notice a stream of bullets passing them by than a player who actively destroys Sunderers. I've had someone destroy my Sunderer 4 times over something like half an hour, replacing it with theirs. I could easily destroy theirs in turn and replace it with mine with nothing more than a warning that I might get locked (now I have Sunderer shields and its harder).

The system needs to improve to actively punish griefers but let other players do their thing.
    It needs to take into account if enemies were visible to the offending player within the last X seconds. If there were no enemies nearby within the last X seconds then the griefpoints are dialed up.
    It needs to take into account the type of kill or damage. Too many players run blindly across roads and get run over, that is not solely the drivers fault, so less grief points should go to vehicle players.
    Players who hit allies but the allies survive to full health and shields will have some of the gained griefpoints removed.
    Killing an ally from full health receives much more griefpoints than killing an ally who is heavily damaged (exception: there are no enemies around at this time).
    Dealing damage to allies who hurt you incurs no griefpoints up until you've dealt the same amount of damage to them.
    A vehicle player killing an ally with C4 in hand which is moving in their direction should also not receive as many griefpoints. Its so specific that any such kill is likely a protection against vengeance from players who got run over or jumped in front of your gun.
    Players who have a significantly higher than average TK count on infantry and especially vehicles should standard get more griefpoints.
    At the first warning that you approach a weapon lock an empathy system kicks in: you will start receiving a portion if the damage you deal to allies.
    Players who kill and destroy excessively will have the empathy system on all the time.
    • Up x 1
  3. TripSin

I can't remember the last time I've been weapons locked. I don't think people should be allowed to TK or do team damage more than they already are allowed to. When I use a lasher, I take care to do as little damage to teammates as possible. If I can't lash without doing significant damage to teammates, then it's not a lasher situation.
  4. brutes359

dude, you have no idea. TR lockdown miniguns in the new crappy CQC bases is a nightmare. youd think people would be smart enough to NOT step in front of a massive pair of firing machine guns, but they just have to try and get that SINGLE kill at the cost of their team. I agree that these lock systems should be addressed because I have lost more TR MAX suits to that than even C-4 Fairies and that's saying something.
    • Up x 1