[Suggestion] Improve new player infantry experience

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Halkesh, May 28, 2020.

1. Halkesh

I think one of the most frustrating gameplay problem for new players is the TTK difference a noob have with a skilled player.

I'm working on the classic problem know as "noob shot first, veteran reteliate and instant-kill the noob".
    A solution could be to reduce the skill gap by helping new player in a way it will not or less help skilled players, and I think I've found the right way to do it with the "Shield Gate".

What is a Shield Gate and how does it works ?
    Basically, it works like Response Jacket : taking small weapons damage will give a Damage Reduction (DR) against small weapons for a short duration. Because of its short duration, it should reduce the skill gap between veteran and new player by making high accuracy and headshot less important.
    The duration and Damage Reduction aren't set in stone, but I've tested with a 49% DR for 0.5 sec duration and 32% DR for 0.5 sec and it should works as intended.
    I've also tested with a 49% DR for 0.25 sec duration but it was flawed in some situations.

Note that if the DR do not stacks with nanoweave armor, it might indirectly nerf nanoweave armor and symbiote into oblivion, but IMO it's not a bad thing.

Example 1 : 32% DR Shield Gate for 0.5 sec. Weapons : Gauss Rifle (600 RoF, 167 dmg) :
    Headshot
    • without Shield Gate, 100% accuracy : 0.2 sec
    • without Shield Gate, 50% accuracy : 0.4 sec
    • with Shield Gate, 100% accuracy : 0.3 sec
    • with Shield Gate, 50% accuracy : 0.6 sec
    Bodyshot
    • without Shield Gate, 100% accuracy : 0.5 sec
    • without Shield Gate, 50% accuracy : 1.0 sec
    • with Shield Gate, 100% accuracy : 0.7 sec
    • with Shield Gate, 50% accuracy : 1.2 sec

Example 2 : 32% DR Shield Gate for 0.5 sec. Weapons : T1 Cycler (750 RoF, 143 dmg) :
    Headshot
    • without Shield Gate, 100% accuracy : 0.24 sec
    • without Shield Gate, 50% accuracy : 0.48 sec
    • with Shield Gate, 100% accuracy : 0.32 sec
    • with Shield Gate, 50% accuracy : 0.64 sec
    Bodyshot
    • without Shield Gate, 100% accuracy : 0.48 sec
    • without Shield Gate, 50% accuracy : 0.96 sec
    • with Shield Gate, 100% accuracy : 0.64 sec
    • with Shield Gate, 50% accuracy : 1.12 sec
  2. Kusanagu1

Not a bad idea, a buffer for new players.

I just started to play today on a new account, no tutorial like it used to be, not that it was a specially good one, but at least it was something, first time I hit Join Combat I was thrown into a massacre without any other guidance than some little tips about what I was doing and Directives telling me what to do, but not how to do it.

Is this way supposed to be better than the bad old tutorial...???
  3. Kusanagu1

Could there be a chance for vet players to exploit that creating new characters? Let's say a guy keeps creating new characters in an open slot to abuse this feature.
    • Up x 2
  4. InexoraVC

You're absolutely right! But who cares (OP definetely dont) that this "problem" is discussed before. Just post a new thread ! No need to read ! :) For example one page from here https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...-meaningfully-against-highskillcapers.254406/

And one more thing for those who think newbies in Planetside suffer hard: remember when you as a newbie first joined multiplayer match in any first person shooter ? Quake, Unreal Tournament, CallOfDuties ??? You've been stomped, fcked, pwned and teared apart. PS2 is the absolutely the same - noobs are food, noobs are XP, noobs are certs. To get food you have to be a predator, not food.
    Any veteran was a noob.

P.s. sry my bad english.
  5. Halkesh

Not really, it apply to everyone, new player and vets, so there is no point to create a new character since you already benefit form it.
    Shield Gate is designed to help players with low accuracy and / or low headshot ratio more than player with higher skill, whatever the playtime.

So you can have some case where a veteran will benefit more from this feature than a new player, but that mean the new player is already more skilled than this particular veteran.

D'oh, I didn't see this thread.
    However, even if I have the same objective, my idea is completely different, I'm not sure if it's worth a new thread or not. :/