[Suggestion] Implements of Chaos

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Pathogenic, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Pathogenic

I've been up way too long, and I keep having daydreams about chaos causing tools. The way I see it, good crowd control is limited to the most direct class (HA Concs) or is available fairly widely (Smoke). Mines are sort of kind of crowd control as well, in the sense that people tend to either die to them or slow down to check for them, but they're also not on the LA (nor would they fit well with their style IMO). I see tons of ideas for the mobility aspect in here (wall clings, grappling hooks, icarus), but little to enhance the "chaos causing" aspect mentioned in the flavor text. None of these are a package deal; I'd just rather not spam the forums.

I did want to add in some displacement items (knocking people around or up or back or whatever), but those honestly seem more fitting for the more "solid" HA.

I'll probably add more later, but figure I should post before it poofs. And please feel free to bash my ideas and offer your own!

Passive:

Spawn Beacon Launcher: Ranged spawn beacon deployment. Duds on invalid shots without activating the cooldown, of course. The primary benefit being you don't have to slowboat through the air to the position, and it's a support tool!

Tools:

Wrist Grenade Launcher: More of a buff to grenades than a unique tool. When equipped, grenade count is increased by 1, changes each to contact detonation, and your grenade of choice can now be quickly shot out to farther ranges. The downside would be 25-50% reduced effectiveness of said grenades, as they've been shrunk to fit in the wrist launcher (with possible resource cost reduction to match, but it would either be more (at 75% effect and cost) or equal (at 50% effect and cost) compared to the norm. It fills up the tool slot and can be pretty easily tweaked to allow LAs to use their grenades in a unique fashion without just buffing their total potential too much.

Smoke Flare: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/tool-idea-aerial-smoke-screen.183891/

Quadra Wield: Because you are an awesome hax LA, you can now wield weapons in your off-hand and with your feet.

Grenades:

Flechette Grenade: Much smaller damage, wider AoE, no damage to AV, and penetrates shielding. Thinking 50% health (health only, not health+shield) at max and 25% at the edges. The idea would be to soften up more entrenched positions and induce some panic when people see their actual health dropping at the cost of less concentrated damage compared to a frag. The ability of the medic to counter it pretty handily may mean it needs buffs, but I prefer to err on the safe side. I sort of wanted to make it a lingering poison mist that would last 10s and kill in about the same with 10% Health hits, but that seems more like a combat medic offensive nade option.

Sludge Grenade: Covers a 5-10m radius with goooo that makes infantry lose some movement speed and jump height when walking over it (~50% sounds okay to start with.) Considering how big the difference between 0.5x and 0.75x ADS modifiers are to people, the benefit should be clear. Mix mix swirl mix.

IFF Scrambler Grenade: Makes whatever's hit appear as an enemy to everyone. A bit suspect over this one, since it has the potential to either be godlike in some fights or a nonfactor in others.

Utility:

Breaching Charge: Place on one of the closed windows or doors in many of the buildings, and boom sesame. Engis would be capable of repairing these holes. Does some low damage to anyone right next to it or the broken entryway when it goes off.

Resupply Beacon: Drops one complete resupply from the sky. A high resource cost on its own plus the grenade cost if applicable. While not a direct chaos tool, the advantage of being able to whip out more firepower should be obvious. Should give a map ping and be fairly visible, like a drop pod.

Tweaks:

Flash grenade: As far as I can tell, the current incarnation is AoE based, disregarding its temperamental nature in actually doing its job. I'd rather see it switched over to LoS based. You look at the nade? Blindness based on how close it is. If you don't stare right at it, you just get some ringing in your ears.

Smoke Grenade: For costing resources, being thrown, and being unable to be filled by ammo packs, this really needs to have more oomph than the UBSL.