Implants will promote kill farming

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by axiom537, Jan 24, 2014.

1. LT_Latency

How about instead of from kills you get one when you get a award or ribbon. You can get these doing pretty much anything as you play
  2. GhostAvatar

Did I say that the payout would be given when the base is capped, or that you had to be in the base when it capped? People around here are so closed minded and are unable to think outside the box. there are any number of ways that it can be tied into territory control and base capture and defense.
  3. Ronin Oni

considering you only get ribbons if you're there for the cap, I'd say it's pretty obvious how that mechanic would work if implemented regardless of what you conceptualized.
  4. GhostAvatar

My idea was just a generalised thought to focus the mechanic around something other than farming, trying to give the game a bit more meta instead of focussing it towards the current trending path it has. But if you like the idea of farming, just come out and say it. No need to be shy. Otherwise, instead of trying to shoot other peoples ideas down, why not come up with some alternatives instead?
  5. Ronin Oni

I think they should just tie Implant rewards to ribbons.

Sure, there are ribbons for killing... also repairing, healing, base capping/defending, basically everything. Whatever you do you'll earn Implants then.
  6. GhostAvatar

Thats actually a very good idea, it covers all play styles. It might be a bit too generalised, but it is a good starting point. The question I have, is how would you scale the rewards. Would it be a straight implant per ribbon regardless of the ribbon, or would you scale the payout based on the type of ribbon. The thing about reward system is they are designed to reward a desired result. So the more the action works to the desired result, the bigger payout of the reward. So what is the desired result and how would you gear the implant payout to that result?
  7. Ronin Oni

Harder it is to achieve a ribbon (also generally tied to XP reward of ribbon) then the better the "Quality" of the Implant received.

Type of Impant is always random for "loot reward" as far as I understand it.
  8. Tenebrae Aeterna

HERE would be my idea for the implant system.

Provides us with three permanent implants while providing the development team with their certification sink that they seem to be amendment on working into the game.
    • Up x 1
  9. GhostAvatar

Loot reward doesn't have to be random. It is your idea, you can make it how you want. Just because that is the current avenue the devs are exploring, doesn't mean it is the one that will get implemented on live or that it is the right solution. After all the devs are only human and therefore not infallible (I think they have already proven that many times over in the development of this game to date).

Honestly, I don't know how hard it is to get each ribbon on average. Does anyone actually have global stats on the ribbons that have been awarded in game?
  10. Rhinzual

This whole damn issue could have been avoided if Implants functioned like in Planetside 1, where they augmented you in some manner at the cost of only having 1-2 at a time and a cost to run most of them. You could only swap them out at either a Bio-Lab or the Sanctuary too, and there was a timer between switching implants.
  11. Ronin Oni

repair/heal/supply ribbons (if they fix the bloody things) are easy and common

Kill ribbons actually take a LOT of kills. Not harder to earn, but a lot longer for sure.

Base defender/attacker ribbons are probably even more uncommon... well, unless you suck at killing :D

Problem with tying individual Implants to Ribbons is:
    #1 I Think there are more Implant types than ribbons
    #2 Could force people into certain "farming" routines for the one they want

Maybe each ribbon type could have a subset of Implants that it could be randomly awarded though.... I think that could work.
  12. axiom537

I am going to stick with the best solution...

Just make them non-consumable and purchasable for Certs or Station cash.