Implants pointless?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ironeddie, May 23, 2014.

1. ironeddie

So I admit I've not played a lot since implants came in. But from my time in game I can't say as I think they've improved or helped me in my play. Nor do I feel I've been killed more as a result of my enemy using implants.

So I ask. Do you think they've made a positive difference to your play?
  2. Yeahy

I haven't tried mine because I'm afraid that it'll affect my play, but I can say that nobody else is doing that much better.
  3. ronjahn

The effects are useful and pretty interesting. Not game breaking or OP, in fact they seem fairly balanced.

The implementation and the entire system itself is frustrating.

1. Way to much info to keep track of. Remembering which implant does what, and what implant I have equipped, and what implants I have in my inventory, and if I have enough chargers, is more than I want to have to think about before and while I am killing things for such minimal impact that they provide.

2. The randomness. I have no idea how to earn an implant while playing; It just happens randomly that I get a drop. I have no idea how to create the implants I want; it is decided randomly by the nanite cycler gods.
    • Up x 1
  4. Pikachu

Being able to see enemy health is nice even if no practical advantage. Other than that I have not noticed the effect of them I think.
    • Up x 2
  5. Dieter Perras

I love the safe fall one :)
  6. DJPenguin

The only one that has really made me say "thank goodness for that implant!" is the EOD Hud so far. Regen is nice too but I've been running medkits as standard for over a year now. They're by no means pointless just not as game changing or mandatory as forumside is dictating.
    • Up x 1
  7. DevDevBooday

1. Yeah Im the same, too much hassle for such a inconsequential thing.

2. Implants or chargers are awarded every 4000 exp.
    You cant create the implants you want, its random but 5 tier 1s will create a tier 2 and 5 tier 2s will create a tier 3 and 5 tier 3s creates a BFR or something ;p
  8. Codex561

I didnt even use them lol. I just collecting them. :)
    • Up x 5
  9. Goden

It's nothing short of a cash-grab.

It needs to go.
    • Up x 1
  10. OgreMarkX

The idea is good. I like the idea of extra cash for the game IF the game design makes it sensible (which implants don't, nor does the membership).

I like the idea that certs can be used (this is a good way to keep BR100's active).

But the implants are an obvious cash grab by SOE, coming on the tail end of the terrible marketing spam we just went thru.

I'd love to find a game I;d feel good paying for again. SOE is the only company that made me feel good about paying per month with Everquest (60 dollars a month is what I paid, plus SC purchases).

But now way will I buy SC or membership for PS2. I don't like twitter or reddit that much.
  11. PurpleOtter

Not pointless, just too much of a dam hassle in their current configuration to bother with...we need an Apathy meter .gif..
  12. Eyeklops

Yup, waiting for a toggle.
  13. Latrodectus

The regen implant is saving me a ton on infantry resources.
  14. LibertyRevolution

Being able to walk off the landing pads at splitpeak and fall to the road with no damage as a heavy is pretty awesome.. safe landing 3.
    Being able to throw a conc nade at my feet in a room full of enemy and proceed to kill them while unaffected is awesome.. clear vision.
    Being able to spot enemies without having an audio call out the enemy can hear and use to pinpoint me is awesome.. marker.

I am just taking all drops and converting them to tier3 at this point.

Regen is useless now with the delay..
    I can redeploy and switch to medic and self heal faster than waiting 12secs for that to kick in and start to regen.
  15. Codex561

You cant toggle them?! Thats just stupid man...
  16. Booface

Some of them seem to make a significant difference. Regen III means you can take mines or C-4 when you normally would be taking med kits. Also Sensor Shield is amazing for Stalker cloak infiltrators (and infiltrators in general) and Light Assaults. People still play where if they throw down a motion dart they just assume nobody is there, and so you can get a lot of kills that way. Awareness is a big one for snipers who take a hit from somewhere but don't know exactly where. Also Clear Vision is a game changer for concussion grenade heavies.

Also being able to see an enemy's health is not that big a deal as infantry, but if really makes a huge difference if you're being a sneaky tank or gunning for a Lib. You know exactly how many more shots you need and sometimes who is weak and can be finished off quickly before moving on to healthier targets.
  17. SpcFarlen

A lot of the implants are just really niched or borderline useless.

Clear vision, really only useful if you run concussion grenades (heavy specific) since its rare occurance.
    Emp Shield, like clear vision. Happens so rarely its not worth the cost unless you are an infil using EMPs
    Safe landing, I use grav lifts to fall off towers so i never needed it.
    EOD hud, can spot prox mines and c4... well they already glow. Tank mines, more legit reason to use.
    Hold breath, can be useful but many of us dont need it.
    Regen, already have med kits which is are instant or friendly medics near by. Though useful between skirmishes
    Marker, can always tap Q...
    Awareness, good as long as they dont kill you. Friendlies are never aware of who gets killed next to them anyhow
    Counter intelligence, slightly annoying tbh. Doesnt actually mean the person who spotted you is a threat. 200m+ spotting
    Rangefinder, some what useful for snipers, i always managed with out it.
    Sensor shield, useful just never hit shift (sprint)... all while a friendly runs passed you shooting in all directions and using callouts. Most useful on stalker cloakers.
    Battle hardened, very nice in tower fights with constant MBT and lightning spam one of the few that id run 24/7 though flinch is really subtle as is.

Sorry for a wall of text but they are just my thoughts on each one. Many of them dont really add much value to use or just go into an area where there were other mechanics already in place like health gen or spotting.
    • Up x 1
  18. ChipMHazard

Pointless? No, I'm sure someone might always find them useful. They seem to be rather well balanced for a cash grab/cert sink mechanic. Don't get me wrong, the game needed a cert sink and a way for the game to generate more revenue.
    As such I am actually glad that they don't seem to be having a significant impact on the gameplay as of yet.
    Most of the implants seem to be situational, which is good, and there to emphasize playstyles. When/If I get Clear Vision I'm most certainly going to try and have some fun with conc nades, some goes for flash nades when playing as a LA.
    Some of the implants will help outfits create some interesting new tactics.
  19. Goretzu

Honestly I don't understand that reasoning (and SOE seems to share it), that people that have nothing left to spend certs on go "yeah I'll keep playing to grind certs to keep my implants up!"

To me it is more likely to drive people away finally rather than keep them interested - implants aren't content or achievements even, they are just an add arbitary grind (they remind me of WoW daily quests - which also didn't really keep a lot of people playing when they realised it was just a pointless added grind and no fun).
  20. PWGuy93

Currently spending my time driving a lightning tank. Don't see any benefit while being in a vehicle. Had applied to EOD Hud to see mines, didn't see them while in a vehicle and blew up twice. So my answer is no, they do not have a positive benefit.