I'm calling it. Upcoming Vanguard Shield Nerf.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by teks, Mar 24, 2014.

1. teks

Since they say "even out performance across the different factions" Its safe to assume this is specifically referencing ES tank abilities, so Shield, Lockdown, Magburn.

"The goal is to change the shield away from an instant-win button..."
    Epic foreshadowing?
    Sadly, I felt this was inevitable after the lockdown nerf.

Do you think its too bold to assume that SOE will be making the same changes to both the heavy shield and the vanny shield?
    Would a small delay hurt vanguard playstyle significantly?
    Anyone want to guess what the changes to tank abilities may be?
    • Up x 2
  2. Flag

That's actually known for a while.

However, since that was posted, they released a video where they aren't saying "small adjustments", but a sweeping balance pass, including main guns, secondary guns and also alluding to the certable abilities (utilities for a start).

So you don't even need to go as far as using the HA changes as a frame of reference. A lot of us are mostly waiting for this to hit the PTS, so science can be done.

For now, we wait.

And this time, I'm slightly worried, even for the magrider.
    • Up x 9
  3. Wobberjockey

the problem with the vannie shield is that it is essentially impossible for the enemy to punch through it.

it also allows full protection, so that if i flank you and hit you in the rear, you can pop shield and have 8 full seconds to counter a flanking attack that would have been an extreme threat to a TR or VS tank.

for any sort of spool up time to be effective, it would have to be longer than an uncerted reload, as it would do nothing to address the current " i live for 8 more seconds at least" aspect of the shield
    • Up x 2
  4. Flag

Actually, the problem with the shield is that, compared to the other utilities, it's very strong.
    Yet unlike the other notable strong one, Anchor (which roots you), the shield lacks properties to balance it against the rest, to make up for being so much stronger.

In fact, the strength of the shield, in itself, isn't a problem. The lack of viable counter-play is.

And before any NC (or others) arrive to shout at me for this, I recommend that you check my recent post history. I don't advocate nerfing the shield effect. And I haven't for quite some time.
    • Up x 3
  5. teks

ugh, I hate it when 'small' equals Armageddon.

I do like making guess about changes though :-D
    PTS takes all the guesswork out.
  6. Odin

So what buffs do you guys think they are doing for the vanguard? If they nerf the shield some buffs will be coming since it currently is in last place in all stats kdr, score per hour, infantry kills and even tank on tank k/d.
  7. Flag

Ideally?
    Give it a major overhaul on the ES AI gun, make it worth using. That's one of the biggest things.
    • Up x 2
  8. Xervous

Changing it to function like a heavy's resist shield would be interesting...

Though I am worried as to what SoE might change that doesn't need changing...

HOPEFULLY, the magrider will get ESF OHKO with its stock cannon (and better velocity on all cannons)
  9. deggy

I'd like a higher gun angle more than I'd like a higher-velocity cannon.

If it was raised to match the other tanks' I'd be all right, if it was raised even more it'd be amazing.
  10. WTSherman

And then the Vanguard goes from being slightly low-scoring to pathetically low-scoring...

I suppose it would be too much to hope that SOE would actually find a creative solution that lets the shield be both fun and effective, rather than a simple (and excessive) numeric nerf (ie just straight up slashing the HP/duration) that makes it neither? >_>

Wonder how long we'll be UP before getting thrown a bone this time. >_>
  11. McToast

Moin

The shield is definitely the best MBT utility. Problem is, Vanguard without a shield is the poorest performing MBT. It has to be balanced with this in mind.
    • Up x 3
  12. Alarox

Even if it had the equivalent of the Viper's AI few would even use it. If you want to farm infantry you use HEAT or HE. Then you use an AV secondary to give you versatility or an AA weapon to fend off ESFs.

Or you use AP with an AI secondary as an emergency weapon when going 1/2. That's a relatively rare scenario and the only reason to put a Canister on your Vanguard. And it doesn't even come close to compensating for a shield nerf.
  13. Shockwave44

People use the lighting all the time and do well in them. Somehow you want use to believe the NC's main battle tank is worse than the lightning. Besides, you have no idea what they are using to get those scores so stop bringing it up. Without the shield, you might actually do better since you won't have it as a crutch.

You are your own worst enemy. You keep saying the shield is fine and the Vanguard is the worst tank. Now that they are changing it, you offer no alternatives to the godmode shield. This means SOE will come up with their own idea and one you won't like. However, it is a godmode shield, the only place to go is down. Point is, stop lying about the vanguard, admit the shield is OP and offer suggestions for SOE to implement.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself. It's sad.
  14. Odin

Hold your horses there tiger they haven't announced they are changing the shield yet. Let's just see if they do and what they do first.
  15. PastalavistaBB

It's pretty obvious from past experiences that SOE can't properly balance if their life was on line. I'm really worried what will happen to the MBTs in General. The IwinShield has to change, that's for sure. But while "changing" it, they shouldn't ruin all 3 MBTs. Btw, why would anyone pull a tank now when you can have a Pre-Nerf Flying Harasser? I just don't see a point to it.
    • Up x 1
  16. XXBLACKATTACKXX

Make it so the vanguard has enough health to survive 2 c4
    And then nerf the shield
  17. Sebastien

I'd take it
  18. Nody

Looking at history I'd be very surprised if it is not altered in some form (I'd even go as far as to say it would be a first that the top performing item has not been changed). I'd also guess changes to the PPA (slower/less splash/bigger bloom) and token changes to the main guns (i.e. +10m/s, HE getting 0.5m larger inner damage splash etc.) and losing 1 shot on the Saron / worse bloom / damage drop off increase to try to equalise it further with the NS options.

Token increases on armor mods (i.e. front armor +5% etc.) and probably bumping the fire extinguisher a few percentage point (but not to ESF level as it's already used albeit not often). For Mag burn & Lock down I expect changes but no clue in what direction as it all depends on what happens to the shield.
  19. Flag

Yet VS and some TR do sacrifice their AV for the sake of AI, why should the VG be exempt from this?
    • Up x 2
  20. Brandmon

MFW the Vanguard shield "nerf" turns out to be a buff disguised as a rework

[IMG]