[Suggestion] Ifrit Escape Jets

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Tenebrae Aeterna, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Tenebrae Aeterna

As you all know, I want to give the roll of recon to the Light Assault...as described here. With that said, that particular thread was rushed due to the shocking speed in which the development team implemented our update. So, instead of going all out and detailing ideas for the Light Assault beyond this role transfer, I just wanted to get the thought out there as soon as possible. With that said, I wanted to get your guy's feedback on another idea I had for your class...the Ifrit Escape Jets. This is an idea I believe I proposed before...but I'm going to present it again in a slightly tweaked manner.

The Ifrit Escape Jets aren't your typical jet pack...providing less vertical mobility than the regular Jump Jets and less airtime than the Drifter Jets. Instead, these are more of a panic device when you encounter opposition that you really don't want to deal with or haven't the capability to survive. Basically, imagine that you're rounding a corner and find yourself staring in the face of an enemy Max and several infantry soldiers. Traditionally, this would be a very problematic situation...unless you have the Ifrit Escape Jets.

The Ifrit Escape Jets' fuel reserves coagulate when not in use, creating a sort of highly volatile napalm-like substance that's initially expelled during the first few seconds of ignition. While the ignition process liquifies the fuel, a fair share is "wasted" during the first few seconds...coating the launch area in a flaming inferno as the Light Assault trooper is propelled away from the threat in an backwards arc away from the threat now bathing in the flames of hell itself.

Basics:

- Creates a field of flame at the initial launch site with an X radius that lasts for X seconds, dealing X initial damage and X additional damage X seconds.
    - Propels the Light Assault trooper backwards in an arch.
    - Provides a little fuel to safely navigate and descend to the ground.

So, essentially, it's a quick burst of a jet followed by a slow descent capability while leaving your enemy in a state of panic as their surroundings are engulfed in flames...a pain field. I can see a lot of situations where these jets would come in handy, especially by denying the enemy alternate routes into a base...cutting off their methods of advancement and forcing them to funnel into an area where you and your allies are waiting to mow them down.

Thoughts?

I was also thinking about suggesting Napalm Grenades in place of Smoke, and making Smoke grenades universal. I rarely see them used, and I assume it's just because you guys don't find much use out of them? I think Napalm Grenades would be far more enticing to your class, providing the same initial ability as these jets and making Smoke Grenades non-exclusive to the class. That way, you gain a new grenade...and everyone has access to Smoke.

I'm sure you can already imagine why I want my hands on Smoke Grenades.
  2. cruczi

Sounds pretty powerful and easy to abuse the AOE damage.

I'd prefer jets that have increased backward and sideways propulsion and still capable of upwards movement like standard jets, but less fuel in reserve and slower recharge.
    • Up x 1
  3. DeadliestMoon

Sounds really complicated. I propose that since Infiltrators get a potential infinite cloak, Light Assaults should get the same deal with our jump jets.
    • Up x 1
  4. cruczi

Yeah, hover jets that makes you give up your primary weapon :D
    • Up x 1
  5. Tenebrae Aeterna

I imagine that the balance would fall into how quickly the fuel reserves regenerate...but it's surely a powerful device. Were it impossible to balance, I'm sure that Napalm Grenades would be fine. Thoughts on that?

Truth be told, I wouldn't really mind seeing something like that...but what would be the downside to the ability?
  6. DeadliestMoon

You mean other than giving up our primary weapon? Should there be?
    • Up x 1
  7. Chad444

I like the sound of an OH **** - whoooooosh kind of ability. Maybe you should be propelled about as high as a tower (not the base towers, the ones around walls)
    • Up x 1
  8. Tenebrae Aeterna

No, if that's what you would prefer the downside to be. I was basically asking to see if there were any alternative ideas other than primary weapon restriction.

What about Napalm Grenades?

Limited amount, shouldn't be too difficult to balance no?
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. :)
  9. cruczi

I wouldn't call them napalm grenades, I don't think anyone would be using a weapon derived from petroleum in the far future. But I think it'd be a nice LA specific addition to have grenades with a fiery explosion, damage over time on a wide area, but no capability for instant kills. Call them combustible nanite grenades something. It could be used as a flare to light up an area and draw attention to it, and the flames would definitely cause panic to anyone nearby. Excellent for attacking a busy Sunderer to simultaneously tag it for allies and make sure it's not being repaired.
    • Up x 1
  10. Tenebrae Aeterna

Indeed,

That's essentially what I was thinking...something that would cause panic, draw attention, a chaos tool basically. Didn't even think of the Sunderer situation, I can imagine that would be very panic inducing indeed!
  11. BeyondNInja

So... it makes you a suicide bomber?

Problem with jets that make you go backwards is that we can no longer ADS or accurately hip-fire while hovering, so the user will be defenceless as soon as they engage this.
    • Up x 1
  12. salembeats

I think that we will see a return of the Icarus Jump Jets:

Higby had stated that he wanted to bring them back (from a design perspective), and that they were only removed because of technical/optimization implementation issues.
    • Up x 1
  13. Tenebrae Aeterna

Not quite,

The initial backwards arc would be rather quick; a sudden burst that left you hovering within the air with enough fuel reserves to adjust your course and descend safely. So, if my mental picture is correct, it's very unlikely that you would be targeted throughout the course of that backwards arc. Granted, this is just the theory...and it may have not played out as well in practice...wouldn't know without the ability to test in a real game environment.

He wants to bring the Icarus Jump Jets back?

Well hell, I can't compete with that! Haha. If they're going to bring those back, that's awesome...I knew there were problems and didn't think there was an actual answer to the technical issues involved.

So...the grenade idea, what about that? I have a feeling that might work a lot better.
  14. salembeats

He's a designer rather than a developer, so I can't say that they're likely to bring them back -- only that Higby wants to.
  15. Tenebrae Aeterna

Hmm... Well, I know that they were absolutely adored by the community...if they can bring them back, they definitely should.
  16. Iridar51

Reminded me of the Fuel Bomb in The Generals.

Sounds cool, but more as a Jump Jet related ability rather than a separate version of the Jets. That's basically a rocket jump, and I wouldn't sacrifice all of the LAs mobility to get that oh shi- button.
    • Up x 1
  17. Tenebrae Aeterna

Understandable, at this point...I'm leaning more towards the grenade specifically.
  18. doombro

First thing I would do with that is load a bunch of them into galaxies and use them as bombs.
  19. Tenebrae Aeterna

Guess that would work with the jets or with Light Assaults all holding the Grenade Bandolier. :p
  20. Wobberjockey

i'm not sure about the escape jet idea, as i can imagine plenty of scenarios where such an ability wouldntbe ideal (pretty much anywhere indoors)
    this is additionally complicated by the icarus jets coming back (if they are, in fact, returning)

that said i do approve of making smoke a universal grenade type, and giving the LA's a unique grenade as a replacement. there are many times where i would have loved to use smoke to cover an approach because regular frags and emp nades just aren't good in that situation.

a White phosphorous grenade would work, but some technical issues that i could see with it:
    1. Lag. i don't think we have any persistant AOE effects in the game right now aside from the medic's healing aura. i'm unsure if this would contribute to server load signifigantly or not.
    2. sundy farming. such a grenade would obviously not do anything to heavy armor for balance reasons, but i can imagine a LA getting mad assist points by dropping a grenade like this on a sundy.
    3. execution: i like the idea of a grenade that makes players want to leave an area. i'm unsure at what point the DOT and the initial splash becomes too much.(i suppoise that's for the PTS to figure out) it should be something that would cause appreciable harm to a player, but something also that a player could charge through in order to break through a contested corridor. a fire field should make a player think twice, but leave impassible walls the province of engineers