If Minor Cloak Goes Live...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Beerbeerbeer, Mar 3, 2017.

1. BrbImAFK

They've made it pretty clear why they're implementing Minor Cloak - It's a cash-grab with a tiny drop rate, pure and simple. I think it's completely stupid, but if they keep the droprate at it's current level, you're not going to be seeing it often in game!
  2. Beerbeerbeer

That's how dumb and shortsighted the devs are: that one dollar bill is sitting on their nose, blinding them to many more dollars below their feet that they could potentially lose.

It's dumb-people's economics: losing two bucks to gain one and not even realizing it. These people have absolutely no grasp on big picture impacts.
  3. DarkStarAnubis

I tried Minor Cloak on the Test Server and it does not seem a doomsday or a game changer, nor that it will make every class "infiltrator-like":

(1) Outdoor: 8 seconds to engage is an eternity - if you are in a firefight in the open you'll never survive enough to achieve invisibility, what's the point?

(2) Indoor: good luck to find some hidden spot to stay still and switch it on. And guess what? Once it is on you are still in that hidden spot so you are now useless

(3) Close Range ambush near a control point: okay, it is perfect. equip an LMG or a Shotgun and unload it on the poor guy who is approaching, or just run and knife him. But before you have to stay still for 8 seconds: maybe you have enough time, maybe not, unless you are an Infiltrator with Nano/Hunter Cloak.

(4) Long-Range Sniping: You can't leapfrog 100% invisible (hunter or nano cloak on, run, wait, minor cloak on, ...) because the minor cloak switches on when the main cloak is depleted but during the transition you are visible for a short moment. Once you are in position then yes you can wait forever invisible, that's the only real advantage you get.

To me it seems of limited use and value to engineers, medics, LAs and HAs, unless they want to play ambush near a control point (or maybe waiting on top of a building to drop C-4 on unsuspecting passersby, how many times can it happen?) and are willing to take the risks of 8 seconds delay.

The only class who can get some solid advantage is the Infiltrator:
    - can use now ambush at close range using primary (e.g. an SMG) staying still
    - can engage at long range doing OHK waiting forever for the perfect moment, shot and return invisible very quickly
    - can invest in nano cloak achieving an extra level of protection + minor cloak to achieve extended invisibility
  4. PinkHurtsMyEyes

Well considering how they have given up any form of teawork incentive and consider medics and engineers wasted classes - focusing only on MLG medkit heavies and light assaults this is as expected. I mean after all - what is more balanced than a heavy that can self-heal, cloak and with implants on test have infinite ammo... GG
  5. Beerbeerbeer

You really have no idea dark, how this will be abused. I'm sorry that you have a limited capacity of foresight, but on that flip side, you share a trait that is well documented and highly regarded at DBG.
  6. DarkStarAnubis

If you say so... But then why don't you do something positive and enlight with your superior wisdom and knowledge about this terrifying level abuse you perceive instead of just whining and predicting the downfall of PS2?

Minor Cloak is ideal for long-term idling campers. Fine. How many scenarios are there? Either long-range sniping or close-range ambush near a console, a control point, a generator, you-name-it (without speaking of the fact, if you are watchful you CAN see cloaked infiltrators).

100% static. War moves.

Minor Cloak does not help to advance, to conquer a base, to defend against multiple enemies, to shot down an aircraft of a ground vehicle.
  7. BrbImAFK

Maybe not, but it's gonna make cleaning out ghost-cappers even more obnoxious than it already is.....
  8. Demigan

This whiny post takes the cake.
    Ammo printer? Dear god with 1 per minute you'll be hard-pressed to keep enough ammo on-hand. Consider that the average lifespan of a player is around 2 to 3 minutes, that the printer will only start working from the moment you have 1 empty magazine and that 99% of the time players never even come close to going empty, this is a terrible implant and even when you have one you are better off sticking to a nearby Engineer.

I really hope they are looking into the actually OP implants. Minor cloak is going to be annoying but highly situational, and it can easily be balanced by removing deepcloak from minor cloak for example. Catlike is a much more dangerous and I like it that they are changing it. Just to tick of the worst of the 'current' Catlike: 50% hitbox size, negates pre-aim, crouch-COF and a faster sprint-speed to boot? Just the 50% hitbox size while still going walking speed is a game-breaker.
    • Up x 3