If DBG ever hires a game designer...a message...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OgreMarkX, Aug 20, 2019.

1. OgreMarkX

FYI, Planetside 2 has three factions. One of them is the Terran Republic. TR for short.

Long forgotten.

Spend sometime looking through the history of your game and you will unearth evidence of their existence.

Current team on the game looks at the TR as Empire soldiers in Warhammer look upon Skaven (rat people), in other words, they refuse to believe they exist (unless one of the team members is playing VS and is exploiting a spawn room bug and mowing down enemy players thus contributing to the "NEW PLAYER EXPERIENCE".)

Probitas laudatur et alget.
  2. Campagne

Got any supporting evidence for your bold claims?
  3. Scrundle

Very amusing considering that the devs regularly rep TR and VS on their streams but the NC are nowhere to be found.
    It was particularly amazing when they did a stream showing off upcoming cosmetics, showed us the VS ones live on character in-game, showed us the TR ones live on character in-game and then just forgot about the NC ones altogether.

So don't worry, pretty sure the devs are aware of the existence of the TR, it'd be real nice if someone on the payroll played the blue guys though.
  4. vonRichtschuetz

What annoys me about the devs relationship with TR is weapon design.

VS: Here's the Lasher, a unique (not so unique since Thumper) weapon specialized in supressing fire.
    NC: Here's a hard hitting shotgun. (now known as "shotgun secondary" for HA with ASP)
    TR: Have some weird LMG that gets nerfed soon.

VS: Gets charge up pistol (tbh I have no idea of it's performance).
    NC: Gets a shotgun pistol.
    TR: Have a SMG pistol - Oh, by the way here's the Emissary, which is NS and does basically the same as the TR option.

VS: Has laser launcher.
    NC: Has launcher that can shoot around corners.
    TR: Has lockon with 6 shots. It gets nerfed and reworked (at least it's unique now). Re-introduce modified old version as NS weapon.

Also: Wouldn't it be nice if TR & NC had "built in ammo printers" that act like a heat mechanic, instead only VS having access to infinite ammo weaponry?
    • Up x 3
  5. OgreMarkX

vonRichtschuetz, spot on.

NS weapons = Better TR weapons, given to all factions.
    NC has many hard hitting weapons, TTK is critical in this game and high damage weapons are great. NC has some very unique and fun items as well (TV guided missiles, Shields for tanks).
    VS has arguably the most deadly arsenal across all weapons, plus some very unique faction specific stuff.

TR has no faction specificity and the TR arsenal has been nerfed into the ground. Even the Vulcan was nerfed (needed) and isn't as good as some believe (though it is perhaps still the best in class, one of TR's few such weapons).

Wrel said in a post that he was considering something for other factions...but decided NOT to in order to preserve VS specific traits....oh gee thx, thx for giving away all TR specific traits to the NS arsenal whil preserving VS's faction specific traits.

And hmm, riddle me this...TR is supposed to have the ammo advantage but which faction has weapons with NO AMMO NEEDED...

Yup. Wrel's VS.

And how long has it been since Wrel and Co. couldnt figure out how to properly revamp the Directive LMG for TR and just plain old gave up? After having upgraded VS and NC LMGs...

Bias is rarely seen by its holder.
  6. Campagne

Dripping with irony.

Anyways, high damage weapons come with various disadvantages such as lower accuracy while moving and higher CoFs, lower DPS, and lower RoFs. When TTK is not identical it is often so close the difference is irrelevant.

NS weapons often have low damage and lower ROFs in exchange for versatility, accuracy, and ease of use. These weapons do not overlap in many ways with TR weapons. If this were true, you could provide examples.

The TR have not faced any significant nerfs to their arsenal outside of a few grotesquely overpowered weapons such as the Vulcan and Gatekeeper. Their infantry arms have not been nerfed in ways which the other two faction have not been. The TR also maintains their faction-specific traits of high RoF weapons having the highest RoFs both in-class and across the board, and almost universally have larger magazines ranging from pistols to carbines to some LMGs to the Prowler's double-barrels.

Larger magazines allow for a larger number of shots to be fired without downtime, while the heat mechanic's unlimited ammo does not affect magazine size unless handled differently.

While the devs. did just give up on the 400-round magazine, the Butcher like the GODSAW and Betelgeuse still received a buff. It has a higher DPS than the base Carv with a larger magazine.

You're pulling at straws trying to come up with a reason to believe you've been hard done by. The only thing remotely true here is that the VS do get special treatment in being allowed much more unique weapons and weapon properties.
    • Up x 1
  7. OgreMarkX

Nope. I play TR 99% of the time, fully aware.

I am not the designer.
  8. Demigan

Ok so let's look at what the TR is going to get in all probability:

• A new slot item that enhances their Anchor mode, giving it up to 1000 shield extra when deployed. Compared to the NC version which simply replaces existing health and is a worse NAR, TR gets the better end of the stick.
    • The Barrage topgun I think it's called. It's basically a combination of the high damage of the Vulcan with the accuracy and range of the Gatekeeper, higher than the Gatekeeper even as the missiles it fires have a small guidance towards the Crosshair in the horizontal plane (not up/down) after firing allowing you to make small adjustments to your shot and track infantry or vehicles better at both range and CQC.
      • The NC gets a Halberd that can't OHK infantry, has less damage, most of it's reload is changed into a charge-up of 3 seconds that makes aiming hard as you have to make sure your aim is spot-on at that 3 second mark rather than just when you click the mouse, this charge-up also means that basically 75% of the reload can only be completed the moment you want to fire and on top of that things like reload speed upgrade do not affect most of your reload cycle. In return you get a higher velocity shell with a lot of drop.
      • Additionally the VS get almost word for word the NC weapon I've always proposed (at least they seem to have made effort to make it one of the most balanced weapons!). Can charge for more damage, can pierce any vehicle and infantry to also hit those behind, when fully charged you can hold that charge unlike the NC weapon which is forced to fire automatically (I mean come on you have two charging weapons and give one an obviously more terrible version of the same mechanic?), you can fire it instantly without charging for lower damage but higher DPS in the long run and it's a slightly weaker Halberd but that is to be expected for all the versatility and options that is added for the weapon.
    • Now combine that with recent changes. The NC MAX sledgehammer nerf. How the NC doku weapons are almost all the worst, how NC's "fire through enemy" trait was almost immediately given to others and if the current weapons on PTS are added the VS will have more piercing weapons than the NC. Add the mentioned insults of showing TR and VS camo's but ignoring the NC and the picture is complete.
    Really? I've been watching the PTS changes since I noticed the rather hardline anti-NC changes propping up and I've seen nothing of the sort. Could you explain why and how the TR LMG's are supposed to be getting nerfed?
  9. pnkdth

I also noticed a distinct lack of red clothing, this must mean DGB are purging their TR devs. Also, what if Wrel is really Higby who is an alien emissary of the VS. Shapeshifters and illuminati confirmed. Let's go deeper, what is it the NC solider is drinking in Demigan's sig? Could it be TR blood? Is Demigan a vampire or even a shapeshifter too?! Even deeper still, the left hand side eye looks like a triangle COMBINED with the all seeing eye. :eek:
    • Up x 2
  10. Demigan

[IMG]

Drink up brother! You are one of us now!

Also to my surprise the TR version is both easier to find and has more detail!
  11. AlcyoneSerene

TR, in my opinion, do have some unique infantry gear disadvantages.

- TMG-50 and Cougar (effectively obsoleted by Kindred) need an accuracy or damage profile or CoF buff.
    - TR have no viable long range options and are forced to rely on NS15 & Naginata and only recently have had the Kindred begin to correct for this, but VS & NC are given TR traits of rapid fire highly controllable CQ infantry guns like HV45, VX6-7, GR-22, GD-7F which is not faction balance
    - SABR-13 needs a buff, it offers nothing over proper ranged options like battle rifles or traditional high damage at range weapons
  12. Demigan

1: There's tons of weapons that are below par and should be altered to match up. Every weapon should be a side-grade, there shouldn't be upgrades or obviously superior weapons.
    2: TR have many weapons on-par with the VS versions, especially the COF and bloom per shot are often similar or the same when I looked it up for some unbeliever. So I think this is more bias than fact unless you have a source?
    3: Last time I used it the SABR-13 was a beast. Looking through Voidwell that seems to have been bias too, but it doesn't seem that bad compared to other battle rifles except for the OP one's like the new Doku versions.
  13. AlcyoneSerene

TR LMG: Bull & TMG-50 have 125 dmg at range. Rest are 112 or 100 watchman without mod. NC has 167 and VS 143.
    TR Carbines: Cougar & now Kindred with 125. NC 143 ACx11
    TR Assault Rifles: SABR at 125 burst fire only. NC 167 VS NC 143

Both VS & NC get weapons that are practically TR weapons, but when TR is given something resembling VS and NC, they are truly horrible with zero redeeming features.
  14. pnkdth

The Rhino is a solid mid ranger, Bull even better, and the 143/652 is enough to be competitive in CQC if you're a high aim player (i.e. good enough to get a solid HSR). TMG-50 is serviceable but not amazing. For everything else the CARV/MSW-R does the trick.

T5 AMC, in addition to the Cougar, with the carbines. That said, if you compare the carbine arsenal the TR does not really have a carbine on the same level as the Pulsar C or Razor (and the NC burst variant put both other factions to shame). On the other hand, the TR have the Kindred.

ARs the SABR is stronk (but I admit to sucking at getting the fullest out of the burst mechanics at first). TORQ is surprisingly decent at mid range. The default Cycler is a very good all-arounder too.

All in all, infantry combat (other the current MAX situation) is in a really good place. Regardless of which faction I play I never feel like I don't have the tools I need or can't fill a particular role. Not saying it is perfect but with all the weapons added over the years virtually every gap has been filled.
  15. chamks

i didnt understand a thing :D all i understand is that there is a TR, daybrake have a game designer and there is a spawn room bug for the vs and that developers refuse to belive tr exist
  16. Demigan

Are you kidding me? Thats because of the DAMAGE MODELS. you know, that thing where a 200/167 weapon gets lower RPM than a 125/100 weapon?

Otherwise I could claim the exact opposite. "Look at the power of TR! Bull and TMG have higher RPM than the Gauss Saw!". Its true, but its also ignoring everything that makes the weapon the weapon.
  17. AlcyoneSerene

High damage low RoF guns are made for range, low dmg high RoF for up close. Battle Rifles, Scout Rifles, Sniper rifles work on this principle where the first shot is pin-point accurate, but unless sufficient time is given between shots for CoF to recenter, it won't be accurate. Depending on range, one can afford to fire faster at the expense of accuracy.

A high RoF gun may recenter quicker indeed, I've noticed this after using enough NC guns. The problem I believe is in trying to burst-fire more bullets on a distant target, many of them have to land. With a low RoF high dmg a few bullets are enough. The interruption to damage output per unit of time under such circumstances would harm the high RoF gun more despite faster recentering.

This is what I've observed repeatedly. Use a 100 dmg at range gun to kill a distant target, despite all the bullets, the target gets away. Use a low RoF high dmg gun one on one at range vs the opposite, I come out on top usually and continue firing instead of retreating since I know I have the upper hand.
  18. HisokaTheRed

I been gone for a while but is someone actually victim complexing with the striker?
  19. FateJH

What do you mean? TR has been doing it ever since the bait and switch.
  20. Demigan

Just looking through sites like Iridar's I found this gem from someone who has apparently done a 180 on his previous thoughts:

Anyway...

Lynx (125 weapon) has a DPS of (909/60)*125=2302,80 or minimum DPS of 1515
    Lynx has a hipfire bloom per second (BPS) during that time of (909/60)*0,09=1,36
    Lynx has an ADS BPS of 0,68

T5 AMC (143 damage model) has a DPS of 1553,9 to 1217
    T5 AMC has a hip BPS of 0,65
    T5 AMC has an ADS BPS of 0,54

Trac 5 (143):
    DPS of 1787,5 to 1400
    hip BPS of 1,25
    ADS BPS of 0,625

Jaguar (143):
    DPS of 1787,5 to 1400
    hip BPS of 1,25
    ADS BPS of 0,625 (hipfire starter stats are better)

Cougar (167):
    DPS of 1605,98 to 1202
    hip BPS of 1,15
    ADS BPS of 0,577

Mercenary (167):
    DPS of 1670 to 1250
    hip BPS of 1,2
    ADS BPS of 0,6

GD-7F (143):
    DPS of 2013,91 to 1408
    hip BPS of 1.4
    ADS BPS of 0,7
    (Looking it over, the GD-7F loses in almost every single category from the Lynx except for long reload (3 second vs 3,14), still ADS in both crouch and stand (0,03 vs 0,1), so I'm actually guessing as to why the Lynx with it's higher DPS and better accuracy for each second of fire and higher magazine size isn't as widely hated as the GD-7F?)

AC-X11 (200):
    DPS 1666,67 to 1191
    hip BPS of 1,16
    ADS BPS of 0,58

Bandit (167):
    DPS of 1759,07 to 1179,73
    hip BPS of 1,26
    ADS BPS of 0,632
    (looking it over, the reason people seem to enjoy this weapon is because it has superior move hipfire starting accuracy while still having the same COF bloom per shot as other 167 weapons, combine that with the awesomeness of an advanced laser sight and the picture is complete).

So what do we see if we compare these numbers? (not going to do the rest of the weapons but I invite you to do it).

The more damage the weapon does per shot, the lower it's DPS at range (in fact the lower the damage per shot on the weapon the more DPS it does overall!). But they don't really have a superior bloom per second allowing them to burst less.
    In fact, damage seems unrelated to accuracy. As visible with the Cougar vs AC-X11, their stats are similar in COF bloom per second and for each advantage that the Cougar has there is an advantage for the AC-X11.

So I call bullcrap on "High damage low ROF guns are superior at range". It depends on the guns used. We could actually have a 125 damage model gun that works at range.
    Would it have a lower ROF than a 125 damage model designed for CQC? Yes it would! But that's the thing: Just because a higher damage weapon automatically is paired with lower ROF, does not make every higher damage weapon a ranged weapon. It is paired with it's DPS: The lower it's overall DPS, the more of a ranged weapon it is designated to be and the lower it's BPS is going to be.