[IDEA] Pistols with x2 Scopes

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Biddion, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Biddion

From the perspective of a stalker:

I would like the idea of a pistol with a scope be considered. Too often I would like to shoot people on the roof or beacons slightly out of reach. One pistol per faction that gets a x2 scope is what I am suggesting. As TR, I find the emperor lacking to the repeater for close up encounters and although I have not used the inquisitor just yet, it seems to be an emperor with more rounds per clip.

The VS get a fairly lackluster starter pistol as well so it would be a perfect candidate. I am unfamiliar with other faction specific pistols but surely this would not be a ground breaking concept. Just take the most under-performing pistol for each faction and open up a scope for it.

Additional augmentations for 100 certs could be: give VS a cool down unlimited ammo but an overheating penalty, NC a ammo option (soft point possibly for a slightly lower rate of fire), and TR a slightly faster rate of fire for smaller clips (but same ammo pool).

These are just ideas to open up new gameplay. Perhaps ideas for the new pistols I heard to come out. If you don't like these ideas, please be constructive.
  2. cruczi

Sights and scopes for pistols has been posted a gazillion times before. I think pistols are fine without sights or scopes, they are sidearms. If you want to snipe, use a sniper rifle. If it's a balance issue, then the weapons themselves need tweaking, not more attachments.

Plenty of people disagree with the sentiment that the Beamer is lackluster.

The overheating mechanic makes no sense as an attachment. Either a gun consumes ammunition or doesn't.

SPA option for pistols would be fine though, but decreasing ROF as a tradeoff makes no sense. Why would it take you more time to fire soft point rounds compared to "normal" rounds?
  3. Biddion

My apologies for suggesting a tiresome, old topic. It's just an idea. if it has been brought up the I am not the only one who would like something like this.

1) 20 meters isn't called sniping. A x2 scope would be to take advantage of a pistols full range and give some variety to pistol play and to give a unique feature to our bastard pistols.

2) The overheating, no ammo mechanic already exist in one of the VS sniper rifles. Can not batteries be swapped out? So I am going to say you are lawyered on this account. This idea was for those players who often redeploy due to an empty clip. It would be an endurance option with a penalty for poor aim.

3) Soft point ammo was just thrown out there to give NC something special to their pistol without saying the word shotgun. I couldn't think of another penalty but SPA would compliment the x2 scope. My idea was a lower rate of fire for one less bullet for the kill.

4) I have used the beamer for a short time on a temporary character and I didn't notice it as a bad weapon. What are its saving features?

Everything you said was negative, yet not one mention of anything constructive. So thanks.
  4. TheAntiFish

I don't know man... You give me a scoped commissioner and you've basically doubled my capacity to ruin your face at range.

Seems like it's asking for trouble.
  5. Xocolatl

NC should get a dual-wield option that turns you into a mini-MAX (no zoom). Because those are cool ^^

As for the Beamer--it's my favorite weapon by far. Also looks really wicked with the silencer attached. I find that the high rate of fire makes it an excellent side-arm.
  6. cruczi

20 meters is well within the "I don't need zoom" range

I said it wouldn't make sense as an attachment. It would make sense as a standalone weapon, like the Phaseshift.

I don't see poor aim justifying the need for a non heating secondary weapon. I can't even remember if I've ever ran out of ammo on a pistol, and I use pistols quite a lot. It might have relevance to Stalker cloakers, but a person with bad aim isn't going to survive until he runs out of ammo, or if he does then the game isn't penalizing him for bad aim like it should. So that point is moot.

Since SPA doesn't decrease ROF on primary weapons, I don't see why it should do that on secondaries. It should have the same downsides as SPA for primaries.

It has decent DPS. The only non NS pistols that have higher DPS are Repeater, Desperado and Inquisitor. Repeater and Desperado only achieve higher DPS in burst mode and are inaccurate compared to other pistols. Inquisitor has such high ROF that being a semi auto, you need to mash your mouse button ridiculously to get the most out of it (but ohh does it sound nice). Meanwhile, Beamer has the perfect balance of ROF, damage per shot and accuracy.

Beamer: 451 RPM, 167 dmg -> 1255 DPS
    TX2 Emperor: 400 RPM, 167 dmg -> 1113 DPS
    Magshot & Manticore: 351 RPM, 200 dmg -> 1170 DPS

Negative criticism can't be constructive? Quite the opposite... pointing out what's good about an idea typically doesn't construct anything, because if it's good, there's no need to change it. Sorry if I don't have anything particularly positive to say. Deal with it :p
  7. Biddion

I never said commissioner nor all pistols. Just one underutilized pistol per faction for it to be special. Also, I find the commissioner the least effective pistol for me (crossbow included) and I have all of those available for TR except inquisitor.
  8. Moz

If you want a side arm with a scope take the xbow? Good range with good damage, and allow one hit / knife combo.
  9. TheAntiFish

Yeah, Fair point! I just went straight to imagining worst case scenarios.

(P.s. I used to hate the commissioner as well, my Desperado was the pistol of choice for me... And then one day it clicked for me, and now it basically behaves like an accurate-at-range low powered shotgun +Slugs)