[Idea/Discussion]What if medics....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Haquim, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Haquim

could desintegrate enemy corpses?

How do you think the game would change if medics gained the ability to desintegrate enemy corpses and thus making them unrevivable for the enemy medics.
    How often did you fail to take a position, not because the enemy had superior skill, but because every enemy you killed got revived instantly by a medic in cover? Or because after you finally managed to kill one of those doorcamping MAX units the enemy medics simply picked it up again, while the MAXes you used to charge in lay in the open where no medic can reach?
    No more! Buy your medic 3 seconds time, and be rid of that MAX forever!

Would the game benefit from this? Or would it be detrimental?
    What do you think?

* the ability doesn't necessarily have to be exclusively for the medic. LAs want a new utility since forever, maybe they could equip some kind of dartgun and "finalize" high-value corpses from their heightened positions.
    .... although I bet no LA will give up C4 for that :D
    • Up x 1
  2. SwornJupiter

They should just make bodies disappear after a certain amount of bullets are sprayed into it. Maybe 10-15 rounds would render the body incapable of being revived.

Ahem, next on the list, tranquilizer darts for infiltrators!
  3. Haquim

I don't think that is a good idea, since there would simply be no reason not to do it as long as a single engineer is around.
    It would simply remove revives for good without adding anything.

And I don't think nonlethal single target weapons have a place in this game.
    Maybe if its loaded with acid, for the lulz.
    • Up x 1
  4. Hegeteus

Time to tranquilize some VS infiltrators

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  5. Eternaloptimist

Not sure of the difference it would make. Generally I find that if I and my allies are close enough to an enemy corpse (say, within range to disintegrate it) then there is very little chance an enemy medic could get close enough to rezz him anyway - or he would die again quickly if he was rezzed. It sounds a bit like engineers being able to defuse enemy mines.......very situational (the only time I've seen it useful was to get rid of an enemy mine under or next to a deployed sundy) and probably unlikley to have much impact. It's good to toss out ideas though - and particularly about medic roles as I just get this feeling they lack something that would make them a more popular class
  6. Demigan

I think that the idea has merit. I would like to see more of these specialized roles for all classes actually.
    I would also like to add the ability for medics to throw down shield generators to create directional cover for himself and friendlies. The shield would only block weapons fire so friend or foe can drive/walk through it and it has a limited HP pool after which the shield will regenerate unless the shield generator is destroyed. This would give him a bigger role in offense and defense and allow easier revival. This also easily creates better combined arms: LA's and infiltrators can flank to avoid the shield or destroy the shield generator at it's source, medics can destroy hostile corpses to prevent Medics from reviving them, medics can also get closer and be safer while reviving.

And since you are all "oh C4 fairies are elitist crapbags who will never give up their C4" you should check out some of the threads I made to expand the LA as a class with many idea's that are competitive with C4 in the utility slot.
  7. Haquim

The idea popped into my head specifically two day ago. We were attacking Dahaka Southern Post, and NC were quite heavily entrenched in the building. They had several MAX teams at the doors to be exact.
    We managed to push into the building itself quite often, but usually got pushed out rather easily, seeing the enemy had the tactical advantage and we suffered quite some losses at the doors already.
    After I killed/helped kill the very same MAX about the 8th time, I got rather annoyed by this. Especially because we lost our MAXes for good after each charge since they lay in the middle of the enemies.
    As long as there were medics and engineers among the enemy, we would either have to succeed and kill them all, or it would be pointless, since the medics and engineers would simply bring everything back to fighting condition before we could attack again - for free. There was no way to tactically advance in this situation and somehow smoke the enemy out.

What this boils down to: In a Planetside2 infantery fight the winning side rarely loses anything. Every loss is instantly reversed by a medic in the team. Which is also why throwing more people at your enemy is such a great "tactic" especially with MAXes. If you throw 20 MAX units and 40 normal guys at A point, all of them die but your charge succeeds you will have.... 20 MAXes and 40 soldiers on A point.
    That makes every fight in a battle a complete victory or defeat, there cannot be such a thing like a pyrrhic victory.

If there was a way to make losses for the enemy permanent, even though they win the fight, that might change.

"Elitist crapbags" is not my view of LAs. Thats some guys who have declared the heavens (skies) as their rightful domain :D.
    LAs are simply available in big numbers, have extremely high mobility and have explosives at their disposal that destroy anything from Spitfires to MBTs.
    Either way, the problem is not the mindset of LA players, it is that C4 is so powerful and universally useful that it is actually a bad choice not to use it. Especially on the LA, and I even got it on HA, because it allows me to occasionally destroy Sundies single handedly.
    Link me a couple of those threads, if you actually devised something that can rival C4 in its all-around usefullness on the LA I'll be impressed.
  8. Demigan

My apologies, I was assuming that you meant the worst for C4 LA's which I shouldn't have.

Yes, this is a problem. I would split C4 into a anti-infantry version and an anti-tank version. Add either a DOT attack on the AV C4 or a timer of 10 seconds or so with a sound so that nearby players can find and destroy the AV C4. This stems the tide of "oh noes my tank", adds a bit more tactical insight to the currently rather dumb tank combat vs C4 fairies and it instantly fixes Valkyrie/ESF bailassaults that drop from the ceiling, which you can only prevent with movement.
    It also means that you really have to make a choice: Do I go for anti-infantry C4 to take out MAX's/tight groups of infantry or do I go for anti-tank work.

I would also like to add a vehicle hacking tool for the LA that allows him to hack empty non-deployed vehicles. This would allow the following combo: Set two AV C4 on the enemy tank, as the tank drivers notice the timer sound on their tank they will be forced to exit (to prevent Vanguards surviving by an easy shield activation, each AV C4 brick would deal around 75% damage of a full tank). After they exit they have those +/- 10 to 15 seconds to find and destroy the AV C4 before it detonates, the LA in the meantime will have time to kill the crew as they try to save their tank, or get killed by the crew while hoping to keep them away long enough to destroy the tank.
    Should the LA kill the crew, he has a chance to destroy his own AV C4 and hack the tank. In fact he could just place one AV C4 and cause the tank crew to go into panic mode even though the tank won't be destroyed, allowing the LA to kill the crew and hack the tank, even though it's now heavily damaged.

AV C4 could be an OP weapon in terms of damage and AOE, simply because the weapon can easily be located because of the sound and because you can either avoid it or destroy it with small-arms fire.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/long-past-due-la-update-remake.211154/

The above one as some older idea's, the rocketpack for instance was before the Icarus was re-introduced. I never made a comprehensive thread about "newer" idea's (like most of them not necessarily mine), such as a stabilizer that temporarily reduces the maximum COF while running/jumping/jetting/falling so you can be more accurate while flying etc. Some of the tools/jetpack replacements could actually be special Utilities that don't run out or cost resources, or you get a large bunch of them for cheapo resources to give that C4 a good competitive choice.
  9. Taemien

Change the healing grenade to do this. Never seen the thing used for anything.
  10. Haquim

Well, that took some time.

There are some interesting ideas out there, I'll just ignore the ones I disapprove of to save some time.

For a start I'd say that louder jetpacks are actually really necessary, since the one and only light assault I have ever heard in the game is myself. SOE did increase the volume to explosion levels once, but, and I just can't say that in any polite way that wouldn't basically be a lie, being the dumb ***** they are/were, simply reverted the change to "silent mode" again instead of tweaking the volume.

The proposed change to smoke is not exactly LA specific but I think thats also actually necessary.

I like both the idea of the speedback and the burstpack, but since I constantly have issues with hitdetection and hitboxes I wouldn't want to experiment on that. Yesterday I put 17 bullets into a HA, half of that in his head at 5m and he still had 400 hp left. 10 minutes later I shot a guy in the groin and got a headshot kill...

The teleporter beacons sound useful, would exchange vulnerability in flight vs vulnerabilty against people who saw your beacon land. Can't say how useful it would be, but sounds like a reasonable alternative

As for replacements for C4...

The revival kit is an interesting alternative for LAs who want to wreak havoc beind enemy lines, and what you proposed sounds reasonable.

The rest simply can't compare to the utility C4 brings.

But how about this idea:

You proposed teleporter beacons, but what about a real teleporter where you decide the exit?
    Everybody who ever played TF2 knows the engineer teleporter and how useful it is.
    First of all, it should be the most expensive equipment infantery can have. Something like 350 nanites, the cost of a lightning or ESF.
    Second, it should not be able to teleport more than a certain distance. Lets say 500 m? So you place one tp "entrance" somewhere and the "exit" must be within 500 m of it. (The "entrance" is free, only the "exit" has a cost, so you don't lose nanites without the teleporter ever working)
    It should need energy to transport people so it can't just spawn a whole platoon on top of the enemy. Lets say it generates 1 point per 2 seconds, and can store 10. Infantery cost 1 point to teleport, a MAX needs 10, a complete charge and thus 20 seconds.
    The teleporter exits would become heavily contested strategic targets and should be susceptible to EMP.
    Of course, if some ******** enemy engineer sets up his MANA AI at an unguarded exit instead of destroying it your friends might be a little pissed....

By the way, I love how you gave every Idea a "public outcry" stat.
  11. Demigan

Keep in mind that if you disapprove, you can propose changes and the inteded goal these changes should give to the idea's there, or just state why something wouldn't work. I usually reply negatively to feedback, but that doesn't mean I don't take it into account and try to think of ways to incorporate it into it.

On one hand I have nothing against making jetpacks louder. It makes sense in a gameplay type of way. On the other hand I have trouble seeing the added gameplay elements it would bring. Yes it makes LA's easier to track and spot before an attack, but is it necessary? We could add the same to medic guns and their AOE heal, or engineers repair guns, or Heavy shields when active. It all makes the same sense to me.

I think that louder jetpacks would instantly destroy a lot of the LA's roles. Right now he often acts as a secondary type of infiltrator. Without that, flanking from LA specific area's becomes almost meaningless, and you would have to upgrade other LA traits or jetpack abilities. Such as improving the speed of all jetpacks and the energy regeneration, because the LA would need that emphasis on mobility even more than before.

I'm having trouble deciphering this sentence. Do you mean that the smoke changes has to be LA specific, or that smoke changes would have to apply to all smoke regardless of LA specificness?
    I think personally that smoke just needs to be viable, and that the LA would have the easiest and most effective use out of them.

Speedpack could function as the MAX Charge ability. As an alternative it could temporarily function as a Flash (probably hell to code but just dreaming here). If it functions as a flash, then you need a limited turn radius and max speed so that whatever hitbox model the Flash works on can work on the LA while using the ability.

It would put an emphasis on flanking, and allow the LA to better cross area's inside enemy fire. Think for instance of the doors at Techplants. You can fire the beacon through the chokepoint at some cover and teleport into it, avoiding the chokepoint altogether. It also offers lower visibility and smaller hitbox than a full infantryman when trying to get passed things like vehicle shields.

It would also be a wonderful item to place near a point room in a not often used area, especially point rooms in buildings with two or more stories often have area's no one ever uses. You can fire at someone entering, then as they start taking control of the point you can surprise them from another angle etc.

The revival kit was one of the worst idea's for replacing C4 in my opinion :p
    But if you think it can compete...

Well, I think the stimulate kit could. Especially if you add something like reducing the maximum COF. This means that an LA using this kit will suddenly be faster even when in ADS, can run&gun like no other and temporarily turns into a combat monster with high reload, weapon switch and knifing speeds that is capable of fighting while running, jumping, falling and jetting without increasing his COF too much. I'd buy that instead of C4.

And what about that grenade launcher? With teamwork it would be a great light AV weapon to use against enemy vehicles. The LA's capability to get into a high spot and lob grenades on infantry below him would make him a powerful tool against clusterfornications despite the relatively slow TTK even with direct hits, or against MAX's in general. It's bouncing ability would allow the LA to fire into rooms safely before breaching it, causing damage and forcing players away from cover if you aim behind it. Sounds like a real contender to me, especially for myself when I zoom across infantry Zergs.

Some abilities could also take the spot of costless utility or be transformed. The speedpack or burstpack for instance could be a temporary modification to your jetpack, you get one to five charges or packs to change your jetpack and become proficient in breaching and crossing difficult terrain.

This is about the first teleporter idea that has some merit without instantly destroying the LA's purpose. Most idea's like climbing ropes, jetpacks to carry other players and teleporters are cheapo and easy stuff that would make the LA redundant since you would only need one to gain it's advantages, and one of these idea's would simply make the LA a glorified transport which isn't exactly a good role to have.

This teleporter is costly and a high-value target, which adds a great target that Infiltrators and LA can destroy best of all classes. It also puts an emphasis on the LA's infiltrator abilities to place two teleporter pads, one at a spawn and one at an important area nearby.
    The limitation on the amount of players that can be teleported per minute are good to encourage using multiple teleporters and get more LA's in a fight and place them on stragetic locations, or put them all together in one room for mass-transportation.

I think that the range of 500m might be too long, I would prefer to use a range of around 300m maximum, since some bases are within 500m of each other, which would mean that in some cases you could use the spawnroom to teleport to the next base...

Yeah my brother came up with it. In my original thread it used "cr*pstorm" with the "illigal" form of crap with a star in the middle. This was deemed a violation since I was trying to swear by replacing some parts of a word to circumvent the anti-swearing software and removed. I hoped it would get less criticism from players if they already read that it was a rather influential change, like giving spotter devices to the LA.