(IDEA) Artillery Faction Specific Vehicles

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by InsanePsycho, Jul 7, 2015.

1. InsanePsycho

Would there be anyway of adding Artillery based vehicles into the game. With unique faction styles of course.
  2. Pikachu

Devs have said they don't want it.
  3. AlterEgo

Leedle leedle leedle!
    Artillery would break the game. All we need is more ES stuff, ES balance passes, and ES camos. Maybe even the city continent I want to fight on...
  4. Kulso

All this sounds glorious to me!
  5. Nalothisal

Sadly I do not agree with ES Artillery. That sounds like a balancing nightmare. If you want an artillery vehicle then your best option would be a NS vehicle.
  6. BrbImAFK

So long as:
    a) it's NS, and
    b) it can't be solo-fired, you need a lazed target to shoot at;
    I'd be totally for the idea.
  7. AlterEgo

Your sig shows exactly that:p
    • Up x 1
  8. ColonelChingles

Artillery is the much needed answer to stale, drawn-out fights.

I mean really without artillery your hope to siege a castle was essentially to wait them out. Pretty boring.

But with artillery you can pound the enemy to bits from afar, forcing them to come out and fight you.

In PS2 many bases become mindless meatgrinders against a heavily entrenched enemy. Adding in artillery forces defenders to mount a counterattack or risk being flattened by an artillery barrage.

I think that to be balanced, one idea is that artillery should take a good deal of time to set up. Say 5-8 minutes. Essentially if you begin setting up your artillery at the beginning of a base capture, by the time the artillery is ready then the base would have already fallen unless it ends up as a stalemate. In that case if the enemy hasn't counterattacked your artillery, you are now free to raze the entire base to the ground. The fight probably was going to be pretty poor quality from that point on anyhow.

So in short, artillery eliminates boring fights and forces a dynamic style of gameplay. Fun!
  9. FateJH

Or they can just hunker down harder and wait foer the artillery to settle down and the enemy to push back into the base. (After-all) artillery that is going off while its own allies are pushed into a targetted base is nothing but a grief machine.
    I didn't get to experience much of the Flail in action but, objectively, it seems like the platform owes itself more to wiping away defender's attempts at pushing out from a base rather than forcing them to push out. Even with our base style being more "campus" to PlanetSide Classic's "main building," I don't see how that won't be a result.
    If that's the counterplay system, however, then it can't be too unobvious during the setup phase.
    If it's so automatic that all encounters use artillery, then the phrase "too good not to use" might be a real concern.
    So, additional aspects that could be denounced as poor quality are excusable as long as no one can discern it from a larger picture of poor quality?
    We've attributed greater patterns of gameplay as being "unfun" so I think the exclamation better used here would be "Expediates!"
  10. Gemenai

Well people still complaining about infiltrators though OHK range and infantry render range was nerfed before.
    Imaging do long range weapons with more range and dmg - the tears would be real.
    Also i think there is not enough space to do so. The continents are too small for artillerie. One can't solve everything by upping the gravity factor.
    Also:
    * if i remember correct.