Icarus Jets - Purpose and Use

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by sustainedfire, Feb 25, 2015.

1. sustainedfire

I'm not able to log in today.

I'm also not a very frequent LA player.

What does the Icarus do better that the other options do not provide?
  2. z1967

Unless they have changed it since I was last on PTS, they allow you to quickly escape bad situations vertically. However, they do not synergize well with C4 and have a short fuel timer. You can jump about 20m upwards in a second or so (pretty damn good acceleration). This should allow you to escape bad situations in hit and run attacks.

Whether or not it works this way on live is a different story. I also have not been able to try them on live, but I look forward to it based on my experiences on PTS.
  3. Hatesphere

go up fast.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ronin Oni

It lets you kick *** in tower fights :D
  5. Pikachu

Go up fastet bbut not fast or long lasting enough. Cant feach the same height as jump jet, even though height is supposed to be its thing.
  6. Disconsented

Not quite, if it reached the same height as normal jets then it would be a flat upgrade. This is intended to be a side grade not an upgrade
  7. Pikachu

There is less hprizontal control and distance.
    • Up x 1
  8. Prudentia

it does what the name suggests
    lets you fly really high and then fall to the ground because you are out of fuel :eek:
    • Up x 4
  9. FateJH

Are you finally able to leap tall buildings in a single bound?
  10. NinjaTurtle

They require you to use the safe landing implant
  11. Disconsented

Using the wrong pack if you want horizontal control/distance.
  12. Jovisfulmina

No. Icarus are strictly vertical, drifter strictly horizontal, but JumpJet allow to go in diagonal. That's what he meant.
    After testing the Icarus i must say it is totally useless outside tower fight. It doesn't allow you to bypass not-100% vertical obstacle (only walls), it can't bypass a void. It really doesn't help with the C4. Icarus is more of a straight almost uncontrolable jump, whereas JumpJet makes you truly fly freely anywhere you want.
  13. Rhumald

That was his point entirely. The Icarus Jump Jets should be the climbing jet pack, Drifter jets your best C4/flying jet pack, and the regular is the man in the middle, for when you need both.

As it stands, while the Icarus do let you move upwards faster, you won't reach the same or better heights as the regular pack, meaning they would appear to under-perform at their intended role of superior climbing ability, which means there are plenty of situations where they will leave you exposed, which is contrary to what you'd expect from a quick jump boost.

I have yet to use them, and will confirm if this is indeed the case on public later tonight, but that sounds troublesome to me.
  14. sustainedfire

So they are an escape jetpack?

Won't the enemy just wait for you to fall from the short lived jump, and spray you to death on the way down?
  15. Selrahc4040

Not really an escape pack, more of a hit-and-run pack. Drop in with a safe fall implant, shotgun some unsuspecting medics, and get out before anyone realizes.
  16. NinjaTurtle

So very situational and 9/10 less useful than the regular jump jets
  17. zombielores

Icarus let's you break the games animations as a LA and exploit latency. The ol' animation where your character half falls through the floor/ground is back.

On the more serious note, it's basically like the Exo Jump in CoD : AW, it could let you dodge a few rounds and mess with your opponents aim while letting you reload or escape as a LA, very nice addition for shotgun style hit and run game play.
  18. sustainedfire

I tried them out briefly.

Not much different then generic jets really.

Is the vertical thrust slowed if you move horizontally?