I reported this as a hacker/cheater. Was I right?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zhakathoom, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Zhakathoom

Getting killed from out of nowhere by some guy you did't see is nothing new in this game, and this guy being a light assault I can perhaps see how he could kill me the two first times, but the third time I was killed inside the spawnroom by bullets hitting me both on the top floor before the teleporter, and by bullets on the ground floor after I teleported (before I exited the spawnshield).

https://clips.twitch.tv/InspiringObservantDinosaurDoggo
  2. Zhakathoom

Heh. Also noticed he was BR 2 the first kill, BR 3 the second and BR 5 the last time. All within the span of about a minute...
    • Up x 1
  3. then00b

There are warp hackers and such, can report them don't know if they do much about them quickly, not sure they're all that keen on posting them on the forum though.
  4. Towie

Oh come on people - YES IT'S A GODDAM CHEATER.

SPM 6077 ? What an absolute joke.

His k/d is effectively infinite - as he killed 352 people (vast majority headshots) and never been killed.

It's simply yet another of the brigade of people who have joined to prove a point - that people cheat in PS2. Not everyone - not even the majority - but plenty enough to be concerned/frustrated/annoyed.
    • Up x 2
  5. Beerbeerbeer

Hit-box hacker. He has a HSR above 70%. Anything above 50% is hacking.

I guess the string of recent and obvious hackers is a clear message to DBG: THEY’RE BACK.
  6. FateJH

The recent average has been one a week, and that guy's banned rather promptly (by DBG standards).
  7. Campagne

Yes, very blatant obvious cheater.
    • Up x 2
  8. OneShadowWarrior

That is a frustrating aspect of this game.
    • Up x 1
  9. Demigan

With the setup of clientside, which is necessary to reach more than 32 vs 32 battles you see in other games, cheating is exceedingly easy.

But to keep cheating for extended periods of time is hard. BattleEye looks for markers that might mean cheating, investigates the machine and how the cheat might work. It then tries to find the same cheat on other players to gather more info on its workings and if it has enough data it presents this to DBG. If DBG agrees the data proves cheating they can ban everyone using the cheat... and everyone who gets recognized after.

The disadvantage of this system is that a cheater sometimes gets several weeks to cheat. The advantage is that once the switch is flipped people who cheat this way get caught and banned much more quickly. An additional advantage is that the maker of the cheat does not get a lot of information about what exactly caused the anti-cheat to discover them, meaning they need more trial and error to find a loophole the anti-cheat does not recognize yet.

So it is basically an immune system. It gets sick sometimes but gets better and better at protecting itself while the cheats have to keep evolving to make it sick.

Apparently someone found a new loophole thats being exploited somehow. This is nothing new, we see a resergence every few weeks and then they also dissappear every few weeks. Its an unfortunate truth in games and as unavoidable as trolls and bile in youtube comments.
    • Up x 1
  10. ObiVanuKenobi

Very obvious. There is no way he could shoot you in the spawn.
    • Up x 2
  11. gunnner10

Wow, just checked his stats. 352 kills and not a single death. BTW, he is still active and has not been banned. So much for "Git Gud"
  12. sjtw_w_stot

Undeniably. This isn't even a question. Record, post and report it as you have done.
    Free to play ensures this is a regular occurrence.
  13. DarkStarAnubis

They never left. Every measure to reduce hacking is always a temporary one. Unfortunately you have zillions of ways to cheat:

a) interact with the PS2 memory image to figure out where the enemies are (or any other thing). This is extremely powerful, but it requires deep knowledge and BattleEye should be able to block libraries and device drivers which are too intrusive. I believe it is a thing of the past.

b) Don't touch PS2 runtime, but the change the weapon characteristics to make it more precise, more powerful, without Bloom etc. You need to change the associated files which are static. DBG tries to prevent that by encryption (static protection) and running a checksum upon execution (runtime protection) to ensure those have not been tampered with. However it is not 100% proof, A few days ago I (and others) have been killed by an NC character who has ... "OHKilling people with a Gauss SAW equipped with a x6 sight". Considering the recoil characteristic of the Gauss SAW it is a bit suspicious. However those kind of cheats are dangerous, because if it is reported that "a full health player X has been killed by a single hit of a Repeater pistol" that is highly suspicious since the Repeater can't do that.

c) Change the target characteristics to make it easier to hit. Again you need to change the associated files, just as above. This is more subtle to spot (if done without too much greed) because you can get "a tad more headshots" without appearing suspicious. You will win more 1vs1. Then, if you make the enemy head as big as a barn then you get what you have seen here

d) Work with the rendered image and auto-aim directing the mouse accordingly. This does not need any changes to the source PS2 files BUT requires to access the rendered image, figure out where the enemy is (Dorito? When are we going to get rid of that triangle shape so easy to detect?) and move the mouse accordingly. PS2 checks (via BattleEye) whether there are other applications accessing the screen memory but my understanding is that is done via a list of "suspicious applications" as opposed to looking at what the application does and figure out whether it helps cheating or not. That would require to transfer the potential culprit from the local PC to a central server where it can be analyzed and that requires way too much effort (however it could be done, when you install BattleEye you give that permission as well :)). So the poor's man solution is to block according to a list, revised and updated from time to time. Recursion got routinely blocked in the past because of that.

e) Work with the mouse. That is also possible and extremely subtle. Good gaming mice have a built-in processor and memory and can be programmed. The result is a simple script that is running "inside" the mouse so it is undetectable by BattleEye. There are general purpose alternatives ( AHK, AutoIt) but then you have something running that can be detected. Not sure whether BattleEye blocks things like AHK or AutoIT, for sure it could but it would not be correct because those tools can be used for other purposes.
    AHK has been known in the past for being used to cheat.
    What you can do by controlling the mouse? Well you can turn all the weapons in "aim-and-LMB" ones requiring zero skills to hit anything: both recoil and bloom can be handled automatically. On top, any semi-auto weapon is transformed insta-magically in a full-auto one (see some old videos of Wrel about tap firing, especially the burst variants).

Whereas b) and c) should be relatively easy to check (basically you have to prevent tampering, it can't be that hard) d) and e) are far more difficult to check and prevent. e) is impossible to detect without recording the fire pattern locally (if I fire exactly 5 bullets, then wait exactly 125 ms and then restarting firing and that happens every time there should be something wrong in that, even if there are veterans who can do that).

Of course the effectiveness of these types of cheating is different.
  14. C0smos

You must be really bad to think 50%+ is hard. Most good player are at 50+

Anyway, this is in a bad state right now, spawn camp kill, 6x scope Saw insta gib you. And servers are fcked up.
    It needs to be adressed as soon as possible.
  15. That_One_Kane_Guy

Was there some greater purpose for saying this or are we just being an **** out of habit? Literally 60 seconds of research disproves this statement. A ~40% HSR puts you mathematically in the top 1% of players. This includes sniper-main accounts. Most "decent" players hover around 30%. Very high HSR players do exist, perhaps even you are one of them. But they are by far the exception and not the rule.
    • Up x 1