I quit today

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by guerrillaman, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bush82

I miss the days of breaking out from the warpgate with the underpopulated side. Some of the best times i've ever had in this game that very rarely happen anymore, actually cannot remember the last time it has happened. Continent locking so fast (with Hives??) has killed it off completely.
  2. Taemien

Its PVP, Player Versus Player. I don't think many understand what that actually entails. Many see the acronym worded out and think that means any sort of player on player competition. It does not. For example:

BattleField, Call of Duty, and other match based shooters are NOT PVP. The teams are usually even, the maps are even, the settings are meant to give each side a fair shot. The method of winning is clear, and it pits the teams' organization and skill against each other.

Everquest, World of Warcraft, and other MMORPGs are likewise not PVP. They Sort of have a PVP-lite in their PVP servers. But the object of the game is mostly PVE with some PVP elements thrown in.

Archeage and Black Desert, and other PVPMMORPGs are VERY VERY close to being true PVP. They still rely on PVE. But the endgames are PVP oriented.

Planetside and Planetside 2 are the only MMOs that are (were, in the case of PS1 shutting down) PVP. You PVP right as soon as you login, till you log out, till you hit max level, and even thereafter.

So what is PVP? PVP is when you engage other players at anytime, for any reason, and all actions and choices have consequences. When you rolled NC for example. You told the TR and VS they can go screw themselves. That's the statement you made when rolling NC. In turn they warpgate you and punish you for offending them by wearing Yellow and Blue.

In PVP you can be accosted at anytime, by any number of people. In PVP you can be outnumbered. In PVP you can be faced with unfair tactics and strategies. In PVP you can be killed and camped and warpgated until you quit. By quitting you yielded. You told the TR and VS they win. And I have to say, congrats to the VS and TR that pulled this off. You've got one down.. just a few thousand more to go.

This isn't mean spirited. I'm not trolling you. I'm not trying to tell you so sad too bad. I'm just being realistic. My goal in PS2 is to make every one of you quit. I want to be the last person standing. I want to 'win'. And I want EVERYONE to do the same to ME. I'm no hypocrite. I don't want to play fair, or nicely. I don't want my Enemies to play fair or nicely with me.

I want mutually assured ruthlessness. To me that is what makes the game fun. When I'm playing hard, and my opponents are just as nasty.. I'm intrigued, I'm engaged, and I'm having fun. I hope I give as much fun right back. This doesn't make me a nasty person. Just driven. Driven to play well, and to be played against well by my opponents. If I wanted fairness and equal play, there's dozens of first person match based shooters out there. There's only ONE PVP-MMOFPS. This is literally the only game I've got in the genre I want to play.

However.. for those who are not into this style of play.. I will not hold back. I have utterly NO responsibility to you to ensure you're playing the game you wish. You have options. You can play other games, and have fun. You can play PS2, understand how it is played and maybe have fun with it. But ultimately its up to you. I've made my choice and I am happy with it.
    • Up x 3
  3. Zynder

Hi guerrillaman,

I can feel your pain and frustration when it comes to faction populaion imbalances. I can report to you that this is to some extent also the case on the server Cobalt.

I also just logged off and I am not sure I will log on again.

In addition to the population balance problems which could be mitigated to a degree if the game would have some real game mechanics linked to for example the amount of territories owned by a faction.

However, my biggest frustration at the moment comes from hackers. The amount of players that are obviously hacking over the course of weeks without any consequences, leave me disappointed and questioning the awareness of DBG.

It is just the worst feeling when you play the game and try to have fun and a hacker that you already reported two weeks ago is still runing around and killing a 50+ player base fight within minutes.

When I search reddit and the forums for some information about the state of BattleEye I find nothing, instead I see many posts about other hackers on other servers and no statements from DBG regarding their measures to deal with these cases.

With the amount of great games coming out this year, I feel that PS2 is loosing out more and more.

The main reason why PS2 stayed in my gamebook is the scale of battles that can occure in a map with hundreds of other players.
    However, that is exactly the time where I have the least fun nowadays since the game is performing terrible during those encounters.

Overall, I will follow the forums and reddit for a while in the hope of some changes regarding hackers and maybe population imbalance. Until then I rather spend my time in a game that has a fair playground and a management that prioritises just that.
  4. guerrillaman

Well... have fun on the solo island. I prefer a community that works together so that the game will thrive, not just survive. I understand your philosophy but I'm not into it myself. The best games in the world please a large audience. That's a fact. It sounds to me like you want it to die.

It's toxic.

If you really followed your own interpretation of the game, you would always log into the faction with the highest pop, find the nearest hex with the lowest oppositional threat and zerg all the way.

Sounds horribly mundane to me.
  5. Taemien

And this is why you have problems. Instead of embracing a challenge, you shy from it. I pick a server and a faction and stick with it, at least until I want to try something new.

The idea is to pick a side, and beat the other two into submission. Cause a server merger and do it again till the game dies. This could take months, more likely years. I'm not here for the quick and easy win. I think that's your problem, you need a dev to solve YOUR issue. You cannot solve it yourself like I can.
  6. guerrillaman

See? You do want a good fight. You have your way I have mine. That's not so hard to understand now.

You want to play for a challenge. I want to play for comradarie.

The really funny part is you are describing a desire to sabotage/destroy a game. How odd.
  7. Pelojian

that is mean spirited, you are taking a pvp game and adding your own 'victory condition' which is your objective to completely destory the fun of everyone else and kill the game, this is exactly the mindset that killed off deathtoll PVP server in EQ2, people like you running around level locked in groups ganking solo players who are just leveling (while you have the best pvp gear for that level range) and running from any fight where the chances of 'victory' aren't 100% (like evacing when your group of 6 encounters an enemy group of 6)

you don't want the game to live you want it to die for your own satisfaction from destroying other's enjoyment of the game.

i see little if any difference between this playstyle and bullying kids during lunchtime at school.

people play games for fun, that doesn't mean your fun which completely destorys the fun of others is acceptable.

PVP games would be far more successful if people were less like "i get fun destroying other's fun by any means" and more like "i want to be challenged and have fun via teamwork, strategy etc to win"

stacking the odds so the enemy has no chance with cheesy tactics and zerg play is not winning, there is no victory where there was no chance of loosing.
  8. guerrillaman

And you can guarantee that planetside 2 and their staff do not share your interests.
  9. guerrillaman

I would kick and ban players like this. They are toxic. They want the product to die! I wouldnt cater to this individual at all.
  10. ReptilePete

11. guerrillaman

Thank you. Yeah I just canceled my monthly and visited today, played from scratch. Keep my identity hidden. Lol! I love the potential this game has. I don't want it to die.

And yes hackers. The world in mama's basement.
  12. guerrillaman

13. ReptilePete

Shut the door on your way out and dont come back.
  14. zaspacer

You gotta be wary of any new system/toy DBG releases. Could be OP, could be UP, and could be a cash grab (intended or not).

I've largely stayed away from Constructed Bases. I spent some time checking it out some at first, but I just kept hitting stuff that I didn't like: pay for each Faction item (and the cost in getting all that stuff), inability for many units to effectively engage Constructed Bases, Sky Shields used in valleys, rewards for burying Hives in weakest enemy away from fights, confusing repair rates, wasn't really tied into the regular base progression, seemed like an Outfit thing, etc.

I have used bases as safe zones to land and repair ESF (like a clown fish), or even do ESF vs. ESF with me being able to lure them over Constructed Base AA. But even then it's just lopsided play I am not a fan of being in the game.

That stinks. They should add something so you don't lose the Nanites if you die while Spawning. Lucky for me I just haven't hit that problem.

^ This +1

Really, I have been playing that way for years. We all know the game by know, we know just by looking at the Unlocked Continents, Map States, and Pops pretty much what we are likely to find. And it makes no sense in jumping into a Faction/Continent/Overpop/etc. that you hate fighting in.... unless you are ok with it for that session or you are just really eager to play anything.

You can't rely on DBG to create a reliably playable environ. It's up to you to figure out how to maximize your chances for finding the gameplay you like.
  15. guerrillaman

Thanks for the guidance.
  16. Dieter Perras

there's always a way.

Personally when warpgated I:

-set up an av turret and practice long range pot shots
    -spawn a galaxy and go ***** + roadkill the closest group of enemies
    -pull a mbt and try to push out with fellow armor
    -snipe
    -go wraith flash
    -stalker cloak
    -pull a lib/esf and duck in and out of the warp gate

and finally lock on launcher if I'm tired and just can't be bother to effort.

honestly though any time you find yourself running into a brick wall just try different tactics and approaches to the fight till something sticks.
    • Up x 1
  17. Moridin6

could have used a gunner 2nite for awhile, ended up making some new pals and a few old ones joined the squad and we wrecked some sht for an alert. .

i dont really disagree with tamien other than making them leave, i want them to stay so i can kill them again and again. tank mines on vehic pads, sniping terminals whatev its all fair. and all counterable, mostly MOSTLY through teamwork.

having friends(backup) makes this game a lot better
  18. Exitus Acta Probat

1. I play all 3 empires and always choose whoever is underdog at the time, I personally have a blast when warpgated.

2. When I quit a game, I simply leave, no threads or goodbyes, I leave and never comeback, never to haunt the forums again:rolleyes:
  19. zaspacer

It was mostly that almost everyone was new, there were a ton of people (mostly as under-Certed Infantry, with a healthy mix of all Classes), most everyone had similar Loadouts, Power Creep hadn't set in, you could pick what battle you wanted with Instant Action (this happened a little after launch, but it was still in the early days), etc. The Crown was a thing and you could always find marathon 3-way sieges there. People were largely *choosing* to flock at each other and create massive 2-way and 3-way fights: nobody was farming or (much) ghost capping yet, people just wanted very bloody deathmatches with lots of deaths all around and would rush each others massive armies.

No Power Creep was a huge thing. Most guns worked at least decent, because they had enough TTK and Mag to deal with the low damage mitigation by players (and most were using default guns anyway). Because there was tons of Infantry, Medics mattered. Almost nobody knew ADAD, nobody did QCQ headshots, nobody did the anti-Sniper shuffle, nobody used Medkits in combat, etc.

I didn't have much problems with Rocket Pods or Daltons at launch. There just wasn't that many pilots around, and the skill gap was *much* greater for pilots because even early on some people could fly well and everyone else could barely fly. People like Naterian were just vastly better pilots out of the gate.

I did hear about people hating Rocket Pods, and I think it was very real, I just never really ran into that problem much. I think the first major OP wall I experienced first hand was the 1/2 HE Prowler. And that was a nightmare and total wreck for the game at that time... but that didn't pop up until the game had been out for a bit.

I think the longer PS2 has been out, the more the Devs have lost touch with how to tune it to be large, combined arms fights. Part of that is the Power Creep, and how the game never adjusted to scale with the Power Creep. Part of that has been Devs catering to Hardcore Organized lobbying, and the erosion of gameplay for the average player. And part of that has been a Dev group that does not play the game like their players and who is more and more out of touch with their players as time passes.

At launch there was much fewer Vehicles relative to Infantry. And the Vehicles that showed up (like everything else) was under-Certed. They did show up, but they didn't really dominate in Armored Zergs until 1/2 HE Prowler Season showed up.

Also, Resources were divided up to different pools, and the replenishment rate for them was based on territory held on the Continent you were on, so it was often much harder to keep Spawning Vehicles.

It may be that the number of Vehicles shows up as less now because the Pops themselves are so much less.

I didn't see Squad Beacons showing up until quite a while. And when they did start showing up (and often), it totally changed a lot of the game for smaller fights. I remember completely flipping out (negatively) about how they warped small fights in places like Tech Plants.

And yes, before they added "direction was killed from" to the Death Screen, close-range sniping with a Silencer could net massive kill streaks. (and I did that a lot with My Infil) Motion Detector and even people using Darts was also a step to reduce the ability for an Infil to close-Range camp like that.

It was somewhat brutal and very crude... but everyone was on a level playing field:
    1) everyone low on the learning curve
    2) everyone low on the Certs
    3) everyone with the same loadouts
    4) nobody had camos, so it was Faction color forces for easy visual id.
    5) everyone with access to the same level of stuff (with some notably standouts for those willing to shell out the Certs/SC for the big upgrades like Rocket Pods)

Plus Instant Action worked well, and people could use that to jump right into a good battle.

There have been a few toys added since launch which really expand parts of the game in a good way. But for the most part I much prefer PS2 at launch (game, Dev involvement, forum had more sections, etc.). And for a 4 Year Old game with a dedicated Dev staff, the overall growth since launch has been pretty sad in my book (some from Dev workers, some from Dev leadership).
  20. guerrillaman

You're just better at life bro.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.