I hope you like Lightnings ...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Archlyte, May 20, 2014.

1. Archlyte

because after today's patch they have supplanted every other lifeform in the open spaces between buildings. The infantry in the open are back to dying en masse like the old harasser days. Big change in gameplay, but those who don't like vehicles are going to be unhappy.
  2. Richard Nixon

QQ

Infantry complaining about dying to vehicles in open fields is like tanks complaining about C4 while they try to fight inside a base.
    • Up x 7
  3. Epic High Five

Insanely prevalent?
  4. AdamPA1006

This is a massive change. Not really sure why they did it? Anyone have insights?
    • Up x 1
  5. Trudriban

I'll go with the same reason as implants:
    [IMG]
  6. Wobulator

I don't care. For me, I just see purple and red flaming certs.
    • Up x 1
  7. NoctD

I hardly noticed about Lightnings - the only thing that today's change didn't fix is the Lib - still as insane OP as ever.
    • Up x 9
  8. Morchai

The only thing I know of that they did with lightnings was make them spawnable at all vehicle terminals. That certainly shouldn't change much, though. Lightnings are fast and you were able to get quickly back to the battle with one before anyhow.

Was there another change regarding lightnings? If so, I didn't notice it.
    • Up x 1
  9. EliteEskimo

Well then maybe those infantry should realize they have access to flak armor which reduces AOE damage by 50% and easy mode fire and forget lock on's that only cost 250 certs. On a side note Lightnings don't have nearly the level of survivability that the old Harassers did. Making statements like that is just going to make people not take you seriously. Oh and if people don't like vehicles they probably shouldn't play PS2 which has been filled with them from the get go.
    • Up x 7
  10. PieBringer

I was honestly expecting far more lightnings today.

I instead saw far less lightnings and more Prowlers/Magriders. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who finds things that just scream "What's logic?"
  11. Goden

People tend to forget that the Lightning has paper for armor.

The stock dumb-fire launcher is more than enough to deal with them.
    • Up x 2
  12. Gritmo

C75 viper's like my favorite gun.
  13. Leftconsin

I DO like lightnings. I also like being able to hack the vehicle terminal at any base, put down a spawn beacon, and jam a squad full of lightnings up someone's backside.
    • Up x 2
  14. Devrailis

I'm not concerned at all with Lightning spamming infantry, that's going to happen with or without the option to spawn at every base. At the same time, this feels like a bizarre change to make. I've been spending quite some time now explaining how bases can become more valuable if you restrict what you can spawn from them. Restrict MAXes to a base unlock, like MBTs, lower the number of bases where you can spawn tanks or even sundies, etc... This will ensure that a base will matter to at least some people when it threatens their access to a vehicle or other asset.

Allow Lightnings to spawn at every small facility feels like a step in the opposite direction. Every base becomes equally worthless when you can spawn anything and everything you want from them. A change like this will only exacerbate vehicle spam while not actually expanding vehicle play.

I'd really like to know what the thought process was behind this decision.

Who knows, maybe SOE thought this was a good decision? I just fail to see how this was a good idea.
  15. GeneralPeragorn

Frankly, the prevalence of (paper) armour is good, it encourages much more tank battles, and I believe it makes the spawns with tank terminals more valuable to be able to counter the lightnings. It also massively increases the prey for my Harasser, and Lightnings are pretty much the only thing they can kill.
  16. NC_agent00kevin

I run a maxed out AP Lightning.

Last night I ate 3 Viper Lightnings for lunch. Fought them all at the same time.

Please people, spawn more Lightnings.

:D
    • Up x 1
  17. Atis

This makes game more accessible for ppl who just want killing things, without too much thinking. OK, without thinking at all. Now if you want personal tank you don't need to check where are deploying, any base will do.
    • Up x 1
  18. NanoBitSplit

Unfortunately, Planetside 2 has been designed like that from the start, thanks to John "It's more fun this way" Smedley.
    • Up x 1
  19. ElastaPlast

Wouldn't increasing the availability of Lightnings, specifically Skyguards, increase the chance of countering Liberators without actually nerfing Liberators?
    • Up x 1
  20. Larolyn

I am pretty sure this was introduced cause of infantry QQ'ing about Libs. Now we can Skyguards anywhere and A2A ESFs are getting messed up before they can fight Libs, I'm sure all will be fine. Oh and infantry QQ'ing about vehicles. Yeah. Heard it. On the plus side, getting some nice kills with my Phoenix now that Lightnings are all over the place.
    • Up x 2